Court Rules Second Amendment Doesn’t Protect AR-15s

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"AR-15s and [large capacity magazines] are most useful in military service, they are beyond the scope of the Second Amendment [...] and may be banned," wrote Massachusetts District Court Judge William Young. The case was first brought in January 2017 by several gun owners, the nonprofit group Gun Owners' Action League, and gun stores On Target Training and Overwatch Outpost.

The plaintiffs filed the lawsuit after Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey put gun dealers and manufacturers on notice that her office would begin enforcing the state's 1998 assault weapons ban that prohibited copies or duplicates of AR-15 and AK-47 rifles. Healy issued that notice in June 2016, days after the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, Florida, where a gunman armed with a military-style rifle killed 49 people—the second deadliest mass shooting in modern American history.

Healey, who was named as a defendant in the case, lauded Young's decision in a statement on Friday, vowing that her office "will not be intimidated by the gun lobby."

"Today’s decision upholding the Assault Weapons Ban vindicates the right of the people of Massachusetts to protect themselves from these weapons of war and my office’s efforts to enforce the law," Healey said in a statement. "Strong gun laws save lives, and we will not be intimidated by the gun lobby in our efforts to end the sale of assault weapons and protect our communities and schools. Families across the country should take heart in this victory.”

Hijinx

"AR-15s and [large capacity magazines] are most useful in military service, they are beyond the scope of the Second Amendment [...] and may be banned," wrote Massachusetts District Court Judge William Young. The case was first brought in January 2017 by several gun owners, the nonprofit group Gun Owners' Action League, and gun stores On Target Training and Overwatch Outpost.

The plaintiffs filed the lawsuit after Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey put gun dealers and manufacturers on notice that her office would begin enforcing the state's 1998 assault weapons ban that prohibited copies or duplicates of AR-15 and AK-47 rifles. Healy issued that notice in June 2016, days after the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, Florida, where a gunman armed with a military-style rifle killed 49 people—the second deadliest mass shooting in modern American history.

Healey, who was named as a defendant in the case, lauded Young's decision in a statement on Friday, vowing that her office "will not be intimidated by the gun lobby."

"Today’s decision upholding the Assault Weapons Ban vindicates the right of the people of Massachusetts to protect themselves from these weapons of war and my office’s efforts to enforce the law," Healey said in a statement. "Strong gun laws save lives, and we will not be intimidated by the gun lobby in our efforts to end the sale of assault weapons and protect our communities and schools. Families across the country should take heart in this victory.”

"Today’s decision upholding the Assault Weapons Ban vindicates the right of the people of Massachusetts to protect themselves from these weapons of war and my office’s efforts to enforce the law," Healey said in a statement.

No it doesn't it infringes on the rights of others. This law doesn't protect anyone from ####. It only take away the rights of others.

BOP

If you go to war with an AR-15 and your enemy has AK-47s, you're probably gonna get slaughtered.

black dog

Free America
If you go to war with an AR-15 and your enemy has AK-47s, you're probably gonna get slaughtered.

I've never seen a AK-47 or any other firearm in 7.62 x 39 out shoot by distance or accuracy a 20"- 24" AR 15 shooting 62 gr bullets or heavier.
The AK in its own right is a incredible firearm for sure, But its just a bullet hose.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
"Today’s decision upholding the Assault Weapons Ban vindicates the right of the people of Massachusetts to protect themselves from these weapons of war and my office’s efforts to enforce the law," Healey said in a statement.

No it doesn't it infringes on the rights of others. This law doesn't protect anyone from ####. It only take away the rights of others.

I doubt he believes his logic in this ruling, but I do believe that he would castrate every gun law that came before him because it doesn't fit in to his world view.

Hijinx

I doubt he believes his logic in this ruling, but I do believe that he would castrate every gun law that came before him because it doesn't fit in to his world view.

In effect one liberal Judge and not the Supreme Court has ruled against what the Constitution says.
Seems a bit crazy to me. Especially when one considers how many liberal POS judges there are.
One or two of them could change the whole Governmental system of the United States.

black dog

Free America
50 - 200 meters the AK does just fine

It's nothing more than a bullet hose, at 200 yards it is lucky to keep under 18" groups on a really good day. That's not minute of man.
Over the years of owning a few myself and watching many different guys shoot them at the clubs I belong to. You never seek the AK shooters at the 100 yard and farther ranges.
But they are some steel killing SOB's at 25-50 yards. That cartridge and rifle/ sights weren't designed to be accurate, it was designed to be a bullet hose.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
It's nothing more than a bullet hose, at 200 yards it is lucky to keep under 18" groups on a really good day. That's not minute of man.
Over the years of owning a few myself and watching many different guys shoot them at the clubs I belong to. You never seek the AK shooters at the 100 yard and farther ranges.
But they are some steel killing SOB's at 25-50 yards. That cartridge and rifle/ sights weren't designed to be accurate, it was designed to be a bullet hose.

i'm no expert on the AK, but taking into account my limited experiences I wouldn't trust it at 50yds.

I wanted to try it just to see what the fuss was about.

I still wonder.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
i'm no expert on the AK, but taking into account my limited experiences I wouldn't trust it at 50yds.

I still wonder.

I've hunted deer with an AK numerous times in VA...they make an excellent "brush rifle". All that I took were typically in the 25-100 yard range and I had it sighted in very well for 100 yards. I also used a .30-30 Winchester in the same environment with similar results.

If I need something light to carry but with with some reach, I use my 24" AR-15 chambered in 6.5 Grendel. 400 yards isn't even a challenge for that one. ;-)

b23hqb

PREMO Member
50 - 200 meters the AK does just fine

Got that right. It was designed to put a lot of lead on target at a very fast rate, and it does the job just fine. With lots of knock down and stay down punch. The AR (I have both) is a more accurate weapon, but if you want knockdown like the AK, change uppers to a .300 blackout, wich is a bit more accurate with good knockdown. But both the AR platform of whjatever caliber costs generally quite a bit more, along with the bullets. The AK really gives you more bang for your buck.

black dog

Free America

I still wonder.

Me to, my son was infatuated with them a few years back, I own 2 AK's, I dug out a early Poly Tech for him to play with. Very shortly after firing it he came walking back into the shop with the rifle, with disappointment spread across his face, mumbling about crudeamentry sights and not being another to hit anything.
It's a great rifle in it's own right, but it will never compete with the M16 / AR platform in any arena.

black dog

Free America
Got that right. It was designed to put a lot of lead on target at a very fast rate, and it does the job just fine. With lots of knock down and stay down punch. The AR (I have both) is a more accurate weapon, but if you want knockdown like the AK, change uppers to a .300 blackout, wich is a bit more accurate with good knockdown. But both the AR platform of whjatever caliber costs generally quite a bit more, along with the bullets. The AK really gives you more bang for your buck.

It's a bullet hose at slow speed. The AK has a cyclic rate of 600 rpm. And will rise like a full auto 1100.
The M16 is 750 to 900 rpm depending on variant and is controllable.

And the 300 blackout is a 200 yard cartridge, and nothing more. It was designed for suppressed use at short ranges.

The M16 / AR platforms shoot very accurately well past 600 yards and no matter what the AK just doesn't deliver anywhere near the same performance.

I have yet to see anyone ever show up to a High Power Match with a AK..
Nor have I seen anyone shooting a AR in blackout out to 500-600 yards, it's lacking enough propellent to bullet weight to be reliable at distance.

And why would you think that the AK gives you more bang for the buck?
A quick look at Century lists the first two at 700 and 850 bucks.
At 850 bucks your about there to buy most AR's on the market.
The AR aftermarket offers more parts and caliber change overs that the gun owner can do at home. Can you take your AK and swap calibers at the range for starters? Nope.
Can you swap out barrels in many different calibers for 8" to 24" configurations?
Can you add a belt fed upper ?
I can buy OEM GI mags for 8 bucks +- in bulk.. see if you can buy OEM mil made AK mags for that.

Oh, and 9mm beats 45 acp everyday of the week and twice on Saturday.

black dog

Free America
:war:

All kidding aside, in your long range events, have any of the competitors used a Noreen?

I know of one man that I have shot F class with that shoots a bolt Noreen in Lapua that seems to do well. With High Power Service Rifle you shoot with sights, I haven't seen a Noreen setup that way yet.

And yes, the 9-45 was just for you..

Lol.. The rest are googling there a$$es off, mumbling that sob can't be right... :whistle:

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA

since at the federal level these judges are appointed, it makes elections more critical.
A bench full of judges appointed by liberals would expand the power of the federal government, more precisely the executive branch of the federal government.
Activist judges have allowed liberal interpretations of various clauses to give the full weight of law to federal regulations - not laws passed by congress, but rules written by the executive branch.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The AR (I have both) is a more accurate weapon, but if you want knockdown like the AK, change uppers to a .300 blackout, wich is a bit more accurate with good knockdown.

One of my ARs has a 7.62x39 upper. It behaves very well and thee ammo is, of course, cheap.

direxpgw

I've never seen a AK-47 or any other firearm in 7.62 x 39 out shoot by distance or accuracy a 20"- 24" AR 15 shooting 62 gr bullets or heavier.
The AK in its own right is a incredible firearm for sure, But its just a bullet hose.

You’re kinda comparing apples to oranges a bit. The AK platform certainly doesn’t have the accuracy of an M4 or like but wasn’t really designed to. It’s inherent design was for a reliable, tough, near indestructible and inexpensive weapon that can be dragged thru the mud by inexperienced shooters and yet still fire every time it’s called upon. It’s loose tolerances account for its lack of accuracy but also account for its reliability in a crappy environment. Throw in some humidity, some dirt, some less than par ammo, some poorly trained warriors, lack of readily available cleaning tools.....and you’ll be using your M16 variant as a doorstop while you are mowed down by a slew of AKs. Not saying the M16 variants suck, just that they require substantially more maintenance and have their place. They are different tools for different purposes and situations.

black dog

Free America
You’re kinda comparing apples to oranges a bit. The AK platform certainly doesn’t have the accuracy of an M4 or like but wasn’t really designed to. It’s inherent design was for a reliable, tough, near indestructible and inexpensive weapon that can be dragged thru the mud by inexperienced shooters and yet still fire every time it’s called upon. It’s loose tolerances account for its lack of accuracy but also account for its reliability in a crappy environment. Throw in some humidity, some dirt, some less than par ammo, some poorly trained warriors, lack of readily available cleaning tools.....and you’ll be using your M16 variant as a doorstop while you are mowed down by a slew of AKs. Not saying the M16 variants suck, just that they require substantially more maintenance and have their place. They are different tools for different purposes and situations.

So you have no real life experience with either rifle then..
The Russians used corrosive primers for decades after us, do you think that using corrosive primers did not cause huge maintenance with firearms?
When the gas system and the bolt started growing fungi, it was anything but a reliable rifle.
The M16 platform out preforms the AK in every category, from ease of maintenance, to field repair to accuracy.
That's why the M16 is still in Service with so many Militarys today.