Court Says Using Chalk On Tires For Parking Enforcement Violates Constitution

Tech

So a town permits free parking for a period of time. Person sues when they repeatedly violate such and is fined. Guess we get parking meters for all.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
They can get all of the information they need from the tag number.
But does that give them the right to touch my personal property.
I have no idea as I have never gotten a parking ticket, but it is a good question in general. Can somebody legally touch your property to place something on your vehicle? Are the rules different for parking enforcement officer placing a parking violation ticket vice Joe Schmoo advertising their business via stuffing a flyer or business card? I would like to know myself.

I have, however, had many flyers stuck under my vehicle's wiper blade over the years and they annoy the heck out of me. :burning:

Chris0nllyn

I have no idea as I have never gotten a parking ticket, but it is a good question in general. Can somebody legally touch your property to place something on your vehicle? Are the rules different for parking enforcement officer placing a parking violation ticket vice Joe Schmoo advertising their business via stuffing a flyer or business card? I would like to know myself.

I have, however, had many flyers stuck under my vehicle's wiper blade over the years and they annoy the heck out of me. :burning:

Life Pro Tip: Put the ticket under someone else's wipers in hopes they don't see the tag number and they pay it for you.

Pretty sure it's a state-by-state (or even municipality-based) legality question. Some states it's illegal to advertise but I imagine that there's an exception for parking tickets. (Are they really touching it or just sliding the paper under it?). It also has to do with parking lots. The owner would likely need to give permission for someone to advertise on their property.

This_person

I didn't read Chris' excerpt (not enough time), but it seems like it would be similar to putting a GPS on a car - you aren't tracking the location with the chalk, but the time. However, both are tracking.

Parking meters are the way to go if you want to track time.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Pretty sure it's a state-by-state (or even municipality-based) legality question. Some states it's illegal to advertise but I imagine that there's an exception for parking tickets. (Are they really touching it or just sliding the paper under it?). It also has to do with parking lots. The owner would likely need to give permission for someone to advertise on their property.

A quick search seemed to indicate it was state or municipality based. NYC seems to be a law unto itself though.

I don't know how you can slide the ticket under the wiper blade without lifting the arm first as I know it is very tight fit between the blade and windshield at least on my car.

But this started me thinking about an article I glanced at the headline but didn't read about why cops touch your taillight as they approach your car from behind. More input needed. 🤖

Chris0nllyn

A quick search seemed to indicate it was state or municipality based. NYC seems to be a law unto itself though.

I don't know how you can slide the ticket under the wiper blade without lifting the arm first as I know it is very tight fit between the blade and windshield at least on my car.

But this started me thinking about an article I glanced at the headline but didn't read about why cops touch your taillight as they approach your car from behind. More input needed. 🤖

There's a gap between the corners of the wipers typically.

Cops touch tail lights to have their prints on the vehicle in case anything were to happen to them during a traffic stop.