Cove Point Project Photos?

Concern4Calvert

Anyone have photos of what they're doing or know where they can be found? I've been looking all over the web and there really isn't much available.

I know many disagree, but I find the project interesting...just wish I could find more material about it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Their FB page is about the only place I've seen any pictures of the work in progress.

Chris0nllyn

There hasn't been much work anyway, about 1/3 of the way.

I think the tower cranes are about to come in and the real work begins.

Anyone see the "we are cove point" folks protesting at the Panthers/Colts game last night?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
I think the tower cranes are about to come in and the real work begins.
About to come in??? Where have you been? There must be at least six tower cranes and an assortment of other types currently operating full bore. Just drive by the place. Heck, just drive east coming over the Solomons bridge. You can't miss them. Big honk'in yellow things.

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...About to come in??? Where have you been? There must be at least six tower cranes and an assortment of other types currently operating full bore. Just drive by the place. Heck, just drive east coming over the Solomons bridge. You can't miss them. Big honk'in yellow things.

I don't live near there, nor drive by it.

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...There's Calvert Cliffs State Park right next to Dominion that is over a thousand acres with over 550 of that for all types of hunting. It could be a twofer. : )

Not open for Sunday hunting, unfortunately. Only private property on certain days.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Fracking and recovering natural gas is so interesting to me.

I bet we'll never see a video of that though :faint::bawl:

You have GOT to be kidding me. My nephew works in that field. He lives in a tent and operates/maintains a stretch of the injection fluid pipelines involved. I suppose he could take a video of the pipe on the ground...or the pump station that runs all day. He could liven it up with a shot of him checking the oil or hauling fuel, I guess.

So you tell me what "video" you want to see and I'm sure he'll get it for me. Of course, since nothing is moving, stills would be more practical. I would liken a video of fracking operations to watching the grass grow.

Of course none of this has squat to do with Cove Point pictures.

Salvador

One Nation Under God
You have GOT to be kidding me. My nephew works in that field. He lives in a tent and operates/maintains a stretch of the injection fluid pipelines involved. I suppose he could take a video of the pipe on the ground...or the pump station that runs all day. He could liven it up with a shot of him checking the oil or hauling fuel, I guess.

So you tell me what "video" you want to see and I'm sure he'll get it for me. Of course, since nothing is moving, stills would be more practical. I would liken a video of fracking operations to watching the grass grow.

lol

Concern4Calvert

Cove Pt Underwater Tunnel Pic

surprise us with something interesting... like accidentally drilling into a residential well or a little leak.

just kidding. but in all seriousness you should have him send something interesting at his discretion. :jameo:

after wondering for a year or more, I finally found a photo of the underwater tunnel that goes from Cove Pt Road out to the drilling platform:

IMG_0491.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
surprise us with something interesting... like accidentally drilling into a residential well or a little leak.

You have some example of a) that happening? and b) a picture of it? I sure don't. My nephew sure doesn't. He's generally just bored to death and reads a lot of books. I'm guessing you don't actually know much about fracking. There is nothing to "see" except some pipes. I've heard there have been leaks in the water pipes as they wend their way up and down the mountains. Not much drama associated with that.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
after wondering for a year or more, I finally found a photo of the underwater tunnel that goes from Cove Pt Road out to the drilling platform:

Drilling platform???...what "drilling platform"?. LMFAO..there isn't a "drilling platform" within 500 miles of Cove Pt.

glhs837

Power with Control
See, you say you don't have any bone to pick with the project, but it sure seems like you might. And I dont think that's a tunnel leading out to the platform.

"In January 2011, Dominion completed and placed into service its reinforced offshore platform at Cove Point to accommodate its customers and the recent advances in LNG ship technology. This enables the safe docking, off-loading and departure from the pier of larger-sized LNG vessels now coming into service worldwide.

The pier modifications provide greater flexibility for LNG shippers to acquire and schedule LNG cargoes from a variety of supply sources, and provide American consumers with greater access to worldwide supplies of LNG. An adequate supply of natural gas from LNG delivered to Cove Point can help stabilize energy costs for homes and businesses in the Mid Atlantic and the Northeast United States. This project also enables Dominion Cove Point to compete more effectively for LNG supplies and remain competitive with similar terminals throughout the world.

The modifications allow Dominion Cove Point to receive vessels carrying cargoes of up to 267,000 cubic meters. The previous maximum capacity was 148,000 cubic meters. To the extent that Dominion Cove Point shippers opt to use the larger vessels, they can deliver comparable quantities of LNG using fewer ships; however, even after the pier reinforcement, the terminal is capable of receiving the types of ships that were in use prior to the project.

The Pier Reinforcement Project resulted in:

The addition of new breasting and mooring dolphins (the dolphins are the structural features, inclusive of support pilings in the water, needed for the breasting panels and mooring hooks).
Addition of about 150 feet to each end of the existing offshore platform.
Service platform modifications.
Minimal dredging around the platform.
Upgrading the docking control system.
The unloading rates of the Cove Point Terminal, as listed in DCP’s FERC Gas Tariff Sheet, are an average of 10,200 cubic meters per hour and a maximum of 12,000 cubic meters per hour. The unloading rates did not change with this project."

I think the water portion is all above the surface. Where did you find that picture?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...0x89b9d70a5ae5aa87:0x32aa99b73734d706!6m1!1e1

bilbur

The platform off the coast. Export platform> ?

That platform used to be the best place to catch rockfish until 9/11/2001 happened. After that the coastguard started chasing people away. I do know that if someone could scuba dive down to the tunnel that goes to the platform they would find thousands of dollars in fishing tackle. I know I lost many umbrella rigs along with a fish or two on that thing.