COVID vax does not stop infection

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When it says they got COVID but were vaccinated - does this mean, symptoms, hospitalization - or just - testing positive?
Because if it's the latter - it's ridiculous. My napkin could test positive - it doesn't "have" COVID.

Are we going to debate the meaning of "have"?

PeoplesElbow

When it says they got COVID but were vaccinated - does this mean, symptoms, hospitalization - or just - testing positive?
Because if it's the latter - it's ridiculous. My napkin could test positive - it doesn't "have" COVID.
I've always wondered why people with no symptoms get tested. I understand some having to be tested but when 10% positive is considered high that means 90% of the people tested either had something else or nothing at all.

Clem72

You mean the people out and about have a higher rate than the cellar dwellers. Who da thought?

I would suspect a good number of those who don't want the vaccine also didn't care for and/or completely ignored the limited gathering, lockdown, and masks efforts. I.E. the ones who are supposed to be superspreaders.

PeoplesElbow

FWIW I saw pregnancy tests at the dollar store and bought one and peed on it to see if it would pop positive, it didn't.

Tech

I've always wondered why people with no symptoms get tested. I understand some having to be tested but when 10% positive is considered high that means 90% of the people tested either had something else or nothing at all.
Wondered too. Maybe if I had a close contact who had symptoms and tested positive I would get tested. That is a very low number.

Tech

Poor analogy, when it appears that the majority of people catching COVID now have been vaccinated. Something is starting to look very wrong in all of this emerging data...
The county publishes those numbers it's between 20-25% of positives.

PeoplesElbow

If some place is 70%vaxxed and the vaccine is 50% effective at reducing infection say 10% of unvaxxed gets Covid that means 5% of vaxxed gets it that would mean roughly the same number of vaxxed vs unvaxxed tests positive.

Every static can be presented to support both sides.

SamSpade

Are we going to debate the meaning of "have"?

Nah. I just don't see the wisdom in testing for a virus which at a given time, most of us "have".

In "The Walking Dead" - first season - they learn a truth. They all HAVE it. It just comes out once they're dead.
EVERY person on Earth has the virus.

The COVID? At any given time, a LOT of us have it. And then we don't. Most of us won't know - it just sits in our nostrils, not doing anything.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nah. I just don't see the wisdom in testing for a virus which at a given time, most of us "have".

That's because you're not a hypochondriac or someone who needs to be part of the latest fad group. You're not the person whose FB is filled with drama to get attention. But I know you've seen the people who are, and those are the ones who run get tested every 5 seconds in hopes that they get a positive.

:drama:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The county publishes those numbers it's between 20-25% of positives.
I was referring to the very disturbing data coming in from Scandinavia, the UK etc showing that the majority of new cases are in vaccinated people. Our percentages here are very quickly rising ...they'll be similar very soon.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Every static can be presented to support both sides.

actually, speaking as a statistician, that is a completely false statement. Data IS routinely manipulated to support a questionable hypothesis or claim, but, properly analyzed, there is never more than one correct answer.

PeoplesElbow

I was referring to the very disturbing data coming in from Scandinavia, the UK etc showing that the majority of new cases are in vaccinated people. Our percentages here are very quickly rising ...they'll be similar very soon.
Aren't most of their vaxxed done with the one that isn't available here from oxford.

Hijinx

Playing devils advocate here. Some people have said I got Covid after vaxxed, why did I bother. So there are people that get surgery with sterilized instruments that still get infections, why do they bother to sterilize instruments?

They probably did not get it from the instruments, but from some person who changed the bandage with dirty hand or from a hospital room that wasn't clean, or maybe from dirt that got in a wound before being operated on, in the case of shooting or stabbings.