COVID: what's next?

UglyBear

How do y'all expect this to go, long-term?

With reports of secondary infections in previously recovered patients, and the fact that COVID family of viruses have never before been conquered by a vaccine, I am extremely doubtful that an effective preventive measure will even be found. (maybe that's why ChiComs used it as the carrier of their little bug). Secondary and tertiary waves are lashing previously shut down countries, and it seems that lockdowns and masks are completely ineffective.

So, COVID-19 is here to stay, and probably will go in waves just like the seasonal flu.

Are we just going to slowly say "f it", take down the masks, and go about like before? Most people in my neck of the woods already did, and life is back to normal. Even the bug-eyed libs with whom I work are slowly starting to get off the manic fear and express desires to rejoin the world.

We as a species, especially in the developed world, have experienced an unprecedented run of 50-60 years without major epidemics. That is an exception, rather than the rule. Our ancestors have braved cholera, smallpox, plague, an array of viral and bacterial bugs, and still managed to advance and procreate. Sure, the old people did not (and probably will not) live to as advanced age, and there will be less diabetics and morbidly obese people around, juts like in the olden times.

Your thoughts?

General Lee

Its like Russian Roulette. You will either get it or you won't, and if you do, you will either die or you won't.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I keep hearing how the virus is worse if you are a minority. I would be curious if politicians and other self important people would be just as concerned if the virus was primarily limited to Caucasians.

General Lee

A more serious answer.....I think we are headed for tough times. Society has been pretty stable for the last 50 or more years. But the writing is on the wall I believe that that time is coming to end. We are headed for a 2nd wave of covid, first time for a full winter. Things and places are already starting or contemplating shutting down again. Supply chains haven't fully recovered yet and they are gonna shut down again putting further strain on people leading to further unrest. Uncertain times are ahead .......but I hope I'm wrong.

UglyBear

A more serious answer.....I think we are headed for tough times. Society has been pretty stable for the last 50 or more years. But the writing is on the wall I believe that that time is coming to end. We are headed for a 2nd wave of covid, first time for a full winter. Things and places are already starting or contemplating shutting down again. Supply chains haven't fully recovered yet and they are gonna shut down again putting further strain on people leading to further unrest. Uncertain times are ahead .......but I hope I'm wrong.
Ok, so shut down, open up, repeat several times... that’s a year or two.
Assume No vaccine, no immunity. Then what? In two, three, five years?

PeoplesElbow

I keep hearing how the virus is worse if you are a minority. I would be curious if politicians and other self important people would be just as concerned if the virus was primarily limited to Caucasians.
Nobody on the news will say it, but I think it has a lot to do with living 10-20 per house. Meatpackers are always hit hard by it, they talk about the temp of the meatpacking facility but never mention who does the packing and how they pile into their living quarters like meerecats.