Covis Vaccine

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
News article today, one of the developers of a vaccine says that when it becomes available, it will cost $40 per dose charged to the individual. Not terribly expensive and I'm sure insurance will pick up some if not all of this, but I was thinking of years past.

Showing my age here.... how many of you remember the SALK vaccine for Polio when it was first developed and released? My family and I , along with every other family, all piled into the local school gym and got a sugar cube laced with the vaccine. I don't remember my dad getting charged for any of it, and it was before insurance even considered covering stuff like that. Unless I was just a naive kid, I believe the vaccine was distributed for free.

Not at all suggesting the developers shouldn't be paid for their efforts, just trying to compare yesterday to today.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Ah. The March of Dimes, created with Presidential assistance, funded the polio vaccine distribution.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
News article today, one of the developers of a vaccine says that when it becomes available, it will cost $40 per dose charged to the individual. Not terribly expensive and I'm sure insurance will pick up some if not all of this, but I was thinking of years past.

Showing my age here.... how many of you remember the SALK vaccine for Polio when it was first developed and released? My family and I , along with every other family, all piled into the local school gym and got a sugar cube laced with the vaccine. I don't remember my dad getting charged for any of it, and it was before insurance even considered covering stuff like that. Unless I was just a naive kid, I believe the vaccine was distributed for free.

Not at all suggesting the developers shouldn't be paid for their efforts, just trying to compare yesterday to today.
Whose insurance will pick up the cost of a $40 vaccine when you have 10 - 15k in deductibles??

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Whose insurance will pick up the cost of a $40 vaccine when you have 10 - 15k in deductibles??
Not everyone has that high a deductible. But I was thinking something like the current covid testing, free to the individual, but they ask for your insurance card if you have one, and I'm sure there is a charge-back to the insurance co, you just don't see it.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
When I was in school overseas, they used to line us up to give us immunizations with this monstrosity. :jameo: I'm sure I had the German Measles shot (Rubella?) with it and possibly the flu shot.

I get PTSD just looking at this picture. :yikes:

mitzi

Yeah, I got one of those too... just don't remember getting that one. For some reason, the polio memory is really clear.

We were probably too young to remember getting the small pox vaccination. I only remember the sugar cube at a school too. I think it was before I started first grade. I remember it was the first time being in school that I would be going to.