CPU Fan Failure

SamSpade

Never had this happen before. Ran tests in BIOS - everything works EXCEPT the fan, so yeah - gone bus' up - and researched which fan I need to keep the old geezer of a workstation going --- and ordered one. Used of course, because they stopped making new ones.

Videos say to use - thermal paste.

Thermal paste? I never heard of such a thing. You used it before? Am I going to make a mess of things? I have no guide for how much to use.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

SamSpade

Ok, got the old one out - cleaned it up - applied the paste - put the new one in - fired her up and ran diagnostics - doing better than before. I guess I was just used to a noisy fan.

Clem72

Look up Arctic MX-2 Thermal paste.

Thanks - watched a video and ordered some.
I hope you didn't buy that overpriced stuff, unless you are over clocking the crap out of your processor. Honestly considering they almost always put the cheapest silicone paste on you could buy the cheapest available and it would be fine.

And don't need to get fancy with the application, I always found the easiest and best performing was to put a grocery bag over my finger and spread a tiny dab around as thin as possible as long as it covers everything.

SamSpade

I hope you didn't buy that overpriced stuff, unless you are over clocking the crap out of your processor. Honestly considering they almost always put the cheapest silicone paste on you could buy the cheapest available and it would be fine.

And don't need to get fancy with the application, I always found the easiest and best performing was to put a grocery bag over my finger and spread a tiny dab around as thin as possible as long as it covers everything.
Been running it for a while now - obviously, USING the computer to write this - and I think it performs BETTER than it did before. I bought this refurbished years ago, and I think the fan has ALWAYS been loud. EVERYTHING is running a little faster, and it's mostly quiet. VERY pleased with how it turned out.