Crab soup

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
Anyone have a recipe for cream of crab or MD Crab soup? I just got a bushel of jumbos and wanted to try making a soup with some of it.

Anyone have a recipe for cream of crab or MD Crab soup? I just got a bushel of jumbos and wanted to try making a soup with some of it.

Put crab meat in a pot with fish stock and veggies, and maybe pasta.
You're welcome. :lmao:

Seriously though, plagiarized from the web:
I would advise not putting in Lima beans because they suck. I would also add in a small pasta.

INGREDIENTS
1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, cut into small pieces
3 cups water
2 cups beef broth
1 cup lima beans, frozen
1 cup baby carrots, sliced
1 cup yellow sweet corn, frozen
2 tablespoons chopped Onions
1 tablespoons OLD BAY® Seasoning
1 pound crabmeat

DIRECTIONS
In 4-quart saucepan, combine tomatoes, water, broth, lima beans, carrots, corn, onions and OLD BAY.

Bring to boil on medium heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.

Add crabmeat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.

Here's another: No lima beans here! :dye:
Ingredients
1 1/2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning, less to taste,see note
1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 (6 ounce) cans fancy crabmeat
1 small sliced onion
1 (16 ounce) can seasoned diced tomatoes (we used tomatoes seasoned with basil, garlic and oregano)
2 cups chicken broth, thickened with
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions
1Dissolve Old Bay Seasoning in rice vinegar.
2Add crab meat and marinate for 5 minutes.
3Put in a medium pot.
4Add onion.
5Dissolve cornstarch in chicken broth and add to pot, along with the tomatoes.
6Simmer covered for 15 minutes and uncovered for another 5 minutes.
7Ready to serve when heated through.

Last edited:
And another: DAMNIT with the lima beans! :cds:

Ingredients
8 cups water
8 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 lb carrot (chopped or sliced)
6 stalks celery, sliced
2 medium onions, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 lbs cabbage, chopped
1 1/2 lbs potatoes, diced
1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
1/4 cup barley
1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
1 (17 ounce) can English peas, drained
1 (12 ounce) can shoepeg whole kernel corn, drained
1-2 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
2 lbs fresh crabmeat, drained, flaked and picked over
hot sauce, to taste
Directions
1Add the water and bacon to a large pot; bring to boiling; let cook for 20 minutes.
2Add in next 9 ingredients; return to boiling and cook 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3Add in peas, corn, and seasoning (for seasoning, start low and add according to your taste).
4Return to boiling.
5Add crabmeat; cook until heated through.
6Check seasoning and adjust to taste--we usually add hot sauce.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
from local cookbook

This one is a good cream of crab...

Cream of Crab Soup

3 T. butter
1 onion, finely diced
1 whole bay leaf (not crushed)
3 T flour
1 ¾ C milk
1 ¼ C heavy cream
2 C. chicken broth
2 tsp paprika
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
A few drops of lemon juice
1/8 tsp mace
1/8 tsp pepper
¼ C sherry
1 (16 oz) backfin or lump local Blue crab meat
Fresh, finely chopped chives (for garnish)

Melt butter in stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and the bay leaf, sweat down for two minutes or until onion is translucent. Sprinkle in the flour and stir until it dissolves. Whisk in chicken broth, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and free of lumps. Gradually pour in the milk and ream, then add paprika, mace, Worcestershire Sauce, and a few drops of lemon juice. Add crab meat, salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes. Stir Sherry into soup before serving in four bowls with finely chopped chive garnish. For presentation, you can reserve a small amount of crab meat and spoon into the center of the bowls before garnishing with chives. Depending on your taste, you may also want to add a little more Sherry at the table.

(recipe by Jonathan Pugh, contained in the Taste of the Beaches cookbook published by the Beach Business Group. If you are interested in contacting them to purchase a copy of the book, containing many other great recipes, the website is www.BeachBusinessGroup.org.)

I believe that the book sells for $19.95 and it is well worth the cost! This is a regional cookbook that has recipes contributed by many locals from Chesapeake and North Beach. The book also contains a vegetable crap recipe, crab dip recipe, etc. but I’m not putting any others out there on the web. Go buy the book!

RPMDAD

Cream of Crab Soup

3 T. butter
1 onion, finely diced
3 T flour
1 ¾ C milk
1 ¼ C heavy cream
2 C. chicken broth
2 tsp paprika
½ tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp mace
1/8 tsp pepper
¼ C sherry

Melt butter in stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and the bay leaf, sweat down for two minutes or until onion is translucent. Sprinkle in the flour and stir until it dissolves. Whisk in chicken broth, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and free of lumps. Gradually pour in the milk and ream, then add paprika, mace, Worcestershire Sauce, and a few drops of lemon juice. Add crab meat, salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes. Stir Sherry into soup before serving in four bowls with finely chopped chive garnish. For presentation, you can reserve a small amount of crab meat and spoon into the center of the bowls before garnishing with chives. Depending on your taste, you may also want to add a little more Sherry at the table.

(recipe by Jonathan Pugh, contained in the Taste of the Beaches cookbook published by the Beach Business Group. If you are interested in contacting them to purchase a copy of the book, containing many other great recipes, the website is www.BeachBusinessGroup.org.)

I believe that the book sells for $19.95 and it is well worth the cost! This is a regional cookbook that has recipes contributed by many locals from Chesapeake and North Beach. The book also contains a vegetable crap recipe, crab dip recipe, etc. but I’m not putting any others out there on the web. Go buy the book!
:buddies::yeahthat:

You win in my opinion Twin This sounds good i am going to try this one this weekend

DEEKAYPEE8569

Cream of Crab Soup

3 T. butter
1 onion, finely diced
3 T flour
1 ¾ C milk
1 ¼ C heavy cream
2 C. chicken broth
2 tsp paprika
½ tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp mace
1/8 tsp pepper
¼ C sherry

I LOVE cream of crab soup. I just work through the lactose intolerance part.

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
Put crab meat in a pot with fish stock and veggies, and maybe pasta.
You're welcome. :lmao:

Seriously though, plagiarized from the web:
I would advise not putting in Lima beans because they suck. I would also add in a small pasta.

I.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? Lima beans are AWESOME!! :drool:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thanks Twin! Does everyone put onion in it? I never noticed onion when I eat it at restaurants... I hate onions :barf:

Secret weapon: shallots, minced fine. The only seasoning my cream o' crab gets are tarragon and Old Bay. Other than that, it's pretty much the recipe that TwinOaks posted.