Crabbing Restrictions

CraneTaker77

Just read an email from the CCA, about the DNR meeting that was Thursday night and how the Watermen got all bent out of shape. What did you honestly think was going to happen when you over harvest and poach our natural resources. I like crabbing just as much as the next person but come on. You got to give it a break. Apparently the Commercial Watermen are whining about how the restrictions are going to hurt them. It's called get another job. I for one think that they need to make it illegal(sp) to keep females whether your a commercial crabber or recreational like me. I'm not bashing the watermen, but come on guys, get a second income, and stop over harvesting. Don't you want there to be anything left for the future watermen, your kids and relatives?

Commercial crabbers blast the state's proposed restrictions - Top Stories - (HometownAnnapolis.com)

T

toppick08

It's a mess for sure.

I've never understood why the industry would fight sustainability. Cut back now, and there will still be a fishery in 10 years. Keep going at the same clip - and everyone will be out of business in only a couple of years.

:high5:

CraneTaker77

It's a mess for sure.

I've never understood why the industry would fight sustainability. Cut back now, and there will still be a fishery in 10 years. Keep going at the same clip - and everyone will be out of business in only a couple of years.

Thats exactly what I'm saying. They are complaining now about restrictions, what are they going to do when there aint not freaking crabs to catch? I want to be able some day when I have kids to take them out and show them how to run a trout line and experience what I love about being on the water so much. But at this rate, if we don't tighten the laws, then in five years, there will be nothing. There are being very ignorant and selfish, yea it's hurting there income and all , but thats when you bite the bullet and get another job. Do charters, take people out on boat trips, don't rely solely on the crabs.

H

HouseCat

I agree overharvesting isn't smart. How high do you think they'll keep crab meat/cake/soup prices because of this?

CraneTaker77

Actually...

You are as dumb and uninformed as it gets! Please do a little research as to the number of times a female crab can breed. After you learn the difference between a sook and a maiden you may reply to this.

I have done my research. A female crab can reproduce more than once. They had a big exhibit(sp) on it at the Calvert Marine Museum. I've been crabbing since the day I could walk. I've seen how badly the crab popluation has dwindled down to nothing. If you had done your rearch, you would see that any tighter restrcitions at all would greatly help the crab population. It's common knowledge that if you exhuast a population, you have to take measures to bring that population back to where it's supposed to be.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
It's called get another job. I'm not bashing the watermen, but come on guys, get a second income,

Commercial crabbers blast the state's proposed restrictions - Top Stories - (HometownAnnapolis.com)

Easier said than done.
There are being very ignorant and selfish, yea it's hurting there income and all , but thats when you bite the bullet and get another job. Do charters, take people out on boat trips, don't rely solely on the crabs.
Once again, easier said than done. You can't just turn your crabbing rig into a charter rig overnight, the Coast Guard and DNR both have a bit to say about that. Also, I'm pretty sure that you have to have a Captain's license to run charters and those are not free. I won't even get into the amount of money that would have to put into the boat to get it up to USCG standards for carrying passengers.

tommyjones

Easier said than done.

Once again, easier said than done. You can't just turn your crabbing rig into a charter rig overnight, the Coast Guard and DNR both have a bit to say about that. Also, I'm pretty sure that you have to have a Captain's license to run charters and those are not free. I won't even get into the amount of money that would have to put into the boat to get it up to USCG standards for carrying passengers.

so i geuss you are saying that they should continue to overharvest? :smack:

CraneTaker77

This is the Testimony that Mr Baynard read at the meeting on behalf of the Coastal Conservation Association... I can't find a single inflammitory thing that would calls boo's and yelling.

It all makes sense to me:

CCA MD Blue Crab Comment for April 10, 2008 Joint Commission Meeting
April 10, 2008 PDF Print Version​

I'm a member of the CCA. and your right there was nothing for them to get rowdy about. I'm thinking its because they don't want to go out and get another job. This whole situation is nothing to be ignored what so ever. It's very important that we get things under control immediately before it's too late. And I' would not be suprised if crab prices and restaurant prices go up too. SO...for those of you who like to eat your seafood out, it affects you too!​

kom526

I'm a member of the CCA. and your right there was nothing for them to get rowdy about. I'm thinking its because they don't want to go out and get another job. This whole situation is nothing to be ignored what so ever. It's very important that we get things under control immediately before it's too late. And I' would not be suprised if crab prices and restaurant prices go up too. SO...for those of you who like to eat your seafood out, it affects you too!

Could you quit your job right now and be able to support your family?

CraneTaker77

Easier said than done.

or they could just get another job in another field. Sooner or later they are going to have at this rate the crabs are going. You ain't gonna be able to get a one stinking crab out of the rivers at this rate.

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
I have been wrong before .If I am then I whole heartedly apologize. I have always thought they mate only once. Then there life cycle ends.

First thing I found by Goggling " sook crab mating "

What is this you found out at Calvert?
Mating

Female blue crabs mate only once in their lives, when they become sexually mature immediately following their pubertal molt (immediately following this molt, the female is known as a "sook.") When approaching this pubertal molt, females release a pheromone in their urine which attracts males. Male crabs vie for females and will carry and protect them, called "cradle carrying," until molting occurs. Following this molt, when the female's shell is soft, the pair will mate. During mating, the female captures and stores the male's sperm in sac-like receptacles so that she can fertilize her eggs at a later time. Once the female's shell has hardened, the male will release her and she will migrate to higher salinity waters to spawn.

CraneTaker77

Could you quit your job right now and be able to support your family?

yea i could, because I have other things to fall back on. I didn't go to college, just high school, and have enough knowledge to be able to secure another job. I'm in the construction industry and that comes to a screaming halt sometimes, and you get laid off, Thats when you find something else to do in the mean time.

tommyjones

I have been wrong before .If I am then I whole heartedly apologize. I have always thought they mate only once. Then there life cycle ends.

Mating

Female blue crabs mate only once in their lives, when they become sexually mature immediately following their pubertal molt (immediately following this molt, the female is known as a "sook.") When approaching this pubertal molt, females release a pheromone in their urine which attracts males. Male crabs vie for females and will carry and protect them, called "cradle carrying," until molting occurs. Following this molt, when the female's shell is soft, the pair will mate. During mating, the female captures and stores the male's sperm in sac-like receptacles so that she can fertilize her eggs at a later time. Once the female's shell has hardened, the male will release her and she will migrate to higher salinity waters to spawn.

they can save the sperm and actually drop eggs 3 times during their 3 year life, after mating once....

Last edited:

kom526

yea i could, because I have other things to fall back on. I didn't go to college, just high school, and have enough knowledge to be able to secure another job. I'm in the construction industry and that comes to a screaming halt sometimes, and you get laid off, Thats when you find something else to do in the mean time.

You live at home with your parents and you have no children. But if you did, would your "fall back" job pay as well?

CraneTaker77

Mating

I'm not going to sit here and argue about how crabs mate. All's I'm saying is that something needs to be done quick and swiftly for us to be able to have the Blue Crab around in ten years. Do you not think something needs to be done? Are you saying that the population as it stands right now is A OK? Whats going to happen to the Commercial Watermen when there is no crabs to harvest? The rockfish made a comback, and I belive the crabs can too if everyone, commercial and recreational work together at it. There is NO right side.

tommyjones

You live at home with your parents and you have no children. But if you did, would your "fall back" job pay as well?

if you have been commercially crabbing the last few years you have seen it coming, you should be prepared.

besides, just like the rockfish moratorium, the same people that benefited from the overharvest will be hit by the new regs, but eventually, just like the rockfish, the fishery will be better for a little regulation.

i'd have more sympathy for watermen if they hadn't been raping the bay for the last twenty years thinking it would never end.

CraneTaker77

I do live at home, and pay almost a thousand bucks a month to my parents for rent. And I hope I wouldnt' have any kids at my age. Second, my "fall back" job would pay as well. If it didn't I would just look for another. So what do you think the watermen should do when there isn't enough crabs to be caught anymore? What can they take up?

kom526

if you have been commercially crabbing the last few years you have seen it coming, you should be prepared.

besides, just like the rockfish moratorium, the same people that benefited from the overharvest will be hit by the new regs, but eventually, just like the rockfish, the fishery will be better for a little regulation.

i'd have more sympathy for watermen if they hadn't been raping the bay for the last twenty years thinking it would never end.

I agree with a moratorium. And for a little FYI the STATE sets creel limits, not the watermen. If they did then this would have happened 20 years ago. The STATE of Virginia has allowed winter dredging of crabs for as long as I can remember and now everybody is paying the price. Besides, I have a firm belief that there is more to the decline of the blue crab than than just over harvesting.

I'm just shooting down the over simplistic answer of get another job. Especially when that "solution" comes from someone who lives with her parents and does not have a family of her own to support.