Crabbing SOMD

jackers

I've been going on base for the last couple days. Just using a couple collapsable traps with chicken necks. I've caught a couple at TPS and a couple by the little bridge by Goose Creek.

Anyone having any luck yet?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I've been going on base for the last couple days. Just using a couple collapsable traps with chicken necks. I've caught a couple at TPS and a couple by the little bridge by Goose Creek.

Anyone having any luck yet?

Did the law change?

I thought collapsible traps were against the rules in MD for recreational crabbers.

BUT if you have a LONG dip net, the dock on Webster Field is pretty good. Chicken necks on stings.. throw out 6 - 10 of them, and you can get a 1/2 bushel in an hour or two.

jackers

Did the law change?

I thought collapsible traps were against the rules in MD for recreational crabbers.

BUT if you have a LONG dip net, the dock on Webster Field is pretty good. Chicken necks on stings.. throw out 6 - 10 of them, and you can get a 1/2 bushel in an hour or two.

I am not sure what the law used to be, I only started crabbing in Maryland this year. You had me a little scared actually! But you can use 10 or fewer traps with just the tidal recreational license. Oh, and no using the traps at night.
http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/crab/bayreccrabsummary.asp

One of the guys I always see on base uses one of those super long nets and just walks around looking for the crabs swimming and then swoops them up. No bait, no traps, just his net. That's pretty cool actually!

I will definitely try Webster Field soon.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I am not sure what the law used to be, I only started crabbing in Maryland this year. You had me a little scared actually! But you can use 10 or fewer traps with just the tidal recreational license. Oh, and no using the traps at night.
http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/crab/bayreccrabsummary.asp

One of the guys I always see on base uses one of those super long nets and just walks around looking for the crabs swimming and then swoops them up. No bait, no traps, just his net. That's pretty cool actually!

I will definitely try Webster Field soon.

A new crab trap is showing up at Maryland sport fishing retail stores under the name of CRAB ALERT. This trap is designed so that when a crab grabs the bait, a spring-loaded trap door closes automatically. Please be aware that a crab trap that automatically closes, without a manual force, is illegal to use in Maryland. Using illegal methods to catch crabs has a maximum penalty of $500 for the first offense.

The definition of a collapsible crab trap has been altered beginning with the 2010 season to allow a larger trap 20 by 15 inches. A collapsible crab trap is defined as a manually operated, portable device having a flat bottom not more than 20 by 15 inches, and not more than four articulated sides. The trap shall be designed so that failure to apply manually exerted tension on the closing mechanism allows the crabs to escape. In other words, a crab trap must allow crabs to enter and exit the trap until the user pulls the line up to retrieve the trap. This pulling of the line manually closes the sides on the trap. A crab net ring may now be 30 inches in diameter.

I haven't crabbed in a couple of year, but it used to be (I think) any sort of collapsible trap was not allowed other than the "rings" that don't work worth a damn.

Usually when they reference 11 or more traps they aren't talking about collapsible manually operated traps, but the crab pots.. At least that's the way I read it.

CobbWeb

Crabbing Regs

I haven't crabbed in a couple of year, but it used to be (I think) any sort of collapsible trap was not allowed other than the "rings" that don't work worth a damn.

Usually when they reference 11 or more traps they aren't talking about collapsible manually operated traps, but the crab pots.. At least that's the way I read it.

A Recreational Crabber Without A License May:
1. use any number of seines, dip nets, and handlines.
2. use not more than 10 or a combination of 10 collapsible crab traps or crab net rings per person.
3. set a maximum of 2 crab pots at their property that:
a. are attached by rope or line to the property or a privately owned pier or dock; or
b. are not more than 100 yards from the shore and marked with a buoy, pole or sign indicating the
owner’s name and address; and
c. have 2 cull rings, one measuring at least 2 3/16 inches and one at least 2 5/16 inches, located in the
exterior side panel or the top panel of the pot; and
d. have a turtle reduction device attached to each entrance or funnel in the lower chamber constructed of
wire or plastic, rectangular in shape with dimensions not larger than 1 ¾ inches high by 4 ¾ inches long.

A Recreational Crabber With A License May Use:
1. All of the gear listed in the section titled A Recreational Crabber Without A License May (see page 33);
2. up to 1200 feet per boat (regardless of the number of licensees on board) of trotline, with a float of the
same color, size, and shape attached to each end
3. up to 30 or a combination of 30 collapsible crab traps or crab net rings per licensee or per boat (regardless
of the number of licensees on board); and
4. up to 10 eel pots for catching your own crabbing bait. The pots must be labeled with the owner’s name not
in a buoy free channel.

Gwydion

So if I were to go out to a public place without any form of license, could I use chicken necks on a string to catch a few crabs?

racerwoody

seeing as I am just across the water from webster field, I'll have to try that dock.....Thanks for the tip. I've been eating them all my life, but haven't caught any.....Have a friend that's anxious to come and go out with me, so we'll try that spot when she comes. :D

somdshootnet

That's how we used to do it, just walk around the pilings and scoop them off of the pilings scoop one up, another soon follows. Always had great luck at Benedict and St. George's just scooping and chicken neckin'

Crabs used to be 10-13" back then too LOL todays "big" crabs were our little bitty babies back in the day.