Crabbing Today

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
2 bushel in 2 hours :neener:

Nice crabs - threw LOTS of small ones and females back....

oldman

Lobster Land
My buddy and I have gotten into the habit of putting all the crabs in the cull box and then dumping the females & small ones well away from the trot line. Keeps them from going back down, eating more and us catching them again.
Seems to be working pretty well.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Patuxent side, Potomac side or on the bay? That shouldn't give anything away.

Potomac side

My buddy and I have gotten into the habit of putting all the crabs in the cull box and then dumping the females & small ones well away from the trot line. Keeps them from going back down, eating more and us catching them again.

Yeah, we do that too! Glad to see so many little ones, but they sure can chew up a chicken neck!

oldman

Lobster Land
Normally we don't crab until at least August but the reports so far this year seem good so we'll probably give it an earlier shot this year. That would please me as I hate freezing my hands on chilly mornings by baiting the line with frozen necks. My buddy won't allow me to bait it the afternoon before for some reason. It's his boat and I am only his helper so I can't really complain - plus he cooks them and I get to partake.

Cowgirl

Just curious, if you happen to get stopped by DNR, would they have an issue with that?

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Just curious, if you happen to get stopped by DNR, would they have an issue with that?

Depends, if you make a run, an put them all in a different box, drive out of the way or over somewhere, and dump them all, no, they wouldn't.

no, if you waiting until your done for the day, then yeah, they would be more than happy to write your ticket...

It comes down to, "how do we know your going to dump them when your done"

No basket.....no case.

Who told you that lie :lmao: