crabbing

crabluver

Anyone try crabbing yet? On the pier or boat? I am getting my little boat ready to go this weekend and put it out in the river jsut to test. Think I should wait on throwing out a couple traps? I am waiting on bro in law to finish a trot line for when the real time comes this summer, much easier to catch crabs with!

crabluver

Give it a shot on the traps......I'm dying to go.
Where do you normally crab? And do use a boat, pier? Trot line? I'm in calvert and have a small 14' john boat with small engine; just got it last summer; had to paint it; etc. to get it ready; normally crabbed from a pier; last summer didn't bring in many crabs off the pier; not like the good ole days when I was a teen at the Solomons rec center...

T

toppick08

Where do you normally crab? And do use a boat, pier? Trot line? I'm in calvert and have a small 14' john boat with small engine; just got it last summer; had to paint it; etc. to get it ready; normally crabbed from a pier; last summer didn't bring in many crabs off the pier; not like the good ole days when I was a teen at the Solomons rec center...

Trot line in Breton Bay....................sometimes use a private pier on the Wicomico.

St. Clements Bay is good also.

VTHT

I live on St. Clements Bay. I just got two new pots, what is the best bait? I heard Eel or Herring. Where can I purchase those? Anywhere near 7th D?

TIA

crabluver

I live on St. Clements Bay. I just got two new pots, what is the best bait? I heard Eel or Herring. Where can I purchase those? Anywhere near 7th D?

TIA
A long while ago, I had a friend that used cow tongue in his pots. He said it lasts longer than eel, fish or chicken. I think he used to get it at the bait and tackle shop in Lexington Park. Used it also on his trot line. If I can find it, I'm gonna give it a try.

Fishn Guy

That's Dr. Fishn to you..

TIA

You can put squid in the pots... that works good too...
Or chicken

JoeMac

My uncle owns waterfront on Blake Creek, off of the Potomac and I saw several small crabs crawling around last week. Nothing large yet. I had a great uncle who used to soft crab every day and he used to say when the locust trees bloom it's time to go soft crabbing. This usually occurs in the 2nd week of May.

As for pot bait, any meat will work. I have had good success with chicken backs and any type of fish, the scraps left from fillets work good. I have used bull lips for trot lining but never in the pots. I think you can get bull lips from McKay's as well.

T

toppick08

I've used chicken necks, eel, bull lips, fish carcasses, old spoiled ham and beef...................all the same....like catfish, crabs will eat anything.

poster

My uncle owns waterfront on Blake Creek, off of the Potomac and I saw several small crabs crawling around last week. Nothing large yet. I had a great uncle who used to soft crab every day and he used to say when the locust trees bloom it's time to go soft crabbing. This usually occurs in the 2nd week of May.

As for pot bait, any meat will work. I have had good success with chicken backs and any type of fish, the scraps left from fillets work good. I have used bull lips for trot lining but never in the pots. I think you can get bull lips from McKay's as well.

my granny used to say that - "look at the locust trees, crabs are ready now"
she was always right

JoeMac

Went over to my uncle's place today. Saw several small sheds. Really small, I would say 2 more weeks until it's time to go soft crabbing.

crabluver

OOOOOHHHH!!! Idid'nt get the cha:yahoo:nce of crabbing due to family issues (1 of the reasons I wanted to go!!! LOL) anyone let me know if you went and what you got!! I would've went for PEACE OF MIND..Throw 'em back if they were 2 small!!! Just wanna go!!

JoeMac

I have been poking around for about a week out there and they are still very small. Usually the second week of May is the right time.