Crabs - Appears To Be Steady

K

Kizzy

Maryland: Blue Crab Population that is

Annapolis, Md. (AP) - Watermen are finding reasons for optimism in Maryland's most recent crab population survey.

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources says there's been no overall change in the blue crab estimates, and the number of mature females is about the same as it was a year ago. That's considered good news, because the numbers are better than they were two and three years ago.

The DNR is predicting this year's crab harvest will be between 20 and 25 million pounds - about the same as last year. Because the survey doesn't show a decrease, officials with the Chesapeake Bay Seafood Association say the report is good news.

The numbers are contained in the state's "winter dredge" survey - one of four surveys used to measure the crab population.

Article

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by IM4Change
Maryland: Blue Crab Population that is

Annapolis, Md. (AP) - Watermen are finding reasons for optimism in Maryland's most recent crab population survey.

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources says there's been no overall change in the blue crab estimates, and the number of mature females is about the same as it was a year ago. That's considered good news, because the numbers are better than they were two and three years ago.

The DNR is predicting this year's crab harvest will be between 20 and 25 million pounds - about the same as last year. Because the survey doesn't show a decrease, officials with the Chesapeake Bay Seafood Association say the report is good news.

The numbers are contained in the state's "winter dredge" survey - one of four surveys used to measure the crab population.

Article

I read something a while back that said if that crabs weren't fished for one season in the bay, that they would be back in full force and higher abundance than ever the following season. Anyone know if this is true?

Would it benefit or hurt the crabbing industry to sit out one season? I'm of the mind that if the problem is bad enough, perhaps the crabbing industry should take some short term losses (if they can afford it) to ensure their livelihood for the long-term. :shrug:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Why do seafood lovers even eat female crabs? I've tried them and the meat tastes powdery.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I'll pass on regular crabs anyday for stone claws. :yum: In fact, I think I'll pick some up for dinner tonight! :biggrin:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Tonio
Why do seafood lovers even eat female crabs? I've tried them and the meat tastes powdery.

:shrug: the only way I've ever eaten it is in crabcakes.
I want to try eating it just normally... but not being a seafood lover, I don't want to shell out $20 for a meal and then hate it.

So I guess I'll just keep waiting for the opportunity to try a friends before I waste my money. :sigh:

crabcake

Originally posted by sleuth14
:confused: WTF is a stone claw?

it's a crab claw that has sweeter meat than any other crab or lobster I've ever eaten. :yum: :yum:
p-crab-claw-stone.jpg

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by tatercake
it's a crab claw that has sweeter meat than any other crab or lobster I've ever eaten. :yum: :yum:
p-crab-claw-stone.jpg

dang... people eat the claws too? :yikes:
I figured that'd be one of the pieces that end up in crab baloney or something. :biggrin:

crabcake

dang... people eat the claws too? :yikes:
I figured that'd be one of the pieces that end up in crab baloney or something. :biggrin:

that's the only part of a stone crab you eat, I think. :ohwell: there is as much meat in one stone claw as probably 7 blue crab claws.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by tatercake
that's the only part of a stone crab you eat, I think. :ohwell: there is as much meat in one stone claw as probably 7 blue crab claws.

It's actually a renewal resource. They catch the crabs, pick the claws off, and return it to the water so it can regenerate the claws.

They're very good, but I still like dungeness better. :yum:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by jazz lady
It's actually a renewal resource. They catch the crabs, pick the claws off, and return it to the water so it can regenerate the claws.

How do they survive until they regrow their claws? :confused:

crabcake

How do they survive until they regrow their claws? :confused:

I dunno. Ask PETA! :lol:

I'm sure they're all over the "inhumane" treatment! :duh:

what's dungeness, Jazz?

citysherry

I Need a Beer
Originally posted by jazz lady

They're very good, but I still like dungeness better. :yum:

When my family lived in California, dungeness were the only crabs available to us (way before overnight shipping). Only in CA they boil the crabs. My dad would cook the dungeness just like they were MD blue crabs - steaming them with seasoning. They were absoultely fantastic. :clap:

crabcake

Okay ... I've seen them before; never had 'em or knew what they were called though. I'll add those to the list of things to try. I'm swinging by Thompsons tonight for the stone claws. :yum: Hopefully, they'll have some mahi I can toss together too with some of that mango salsa :yum: