Crabs In Calvert County

NATA'S MOMMY

:confused: Just wondering if anyone knows of anyone that is selling bushels of crabs. It doesn't matter if they are male or female. Just as long as they don't cost an arm, a leg, and my firstborn. Thanks in advance.

Jameo

What?!
Try Capt. Smiths over on Solomons Island. I have no clue about prices right now. But good luck trying to find them "cheap":cheers:

Your best bet, is to just catch your own

Otter

Nothing to see here
Mel is sitting on 4 all weekend across from Walmart, but his crabs aren't cooked.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by otter
Mel is sitting on 4 all weekend across from Walmart, but his crabs aren't cooked.

To interpret:

Mel sells great crabs - he has a BIG truck that he parks on Route 2/4 in Prince Frederick across from the Wal*Mart - the truck says "Mel's Crabs" (duh!) on the side - can't miss it!

NATA'S MOMMY

Thank you everyone who has replied so far. I was trying to skip Mel's. I stopped there last weekend and he was selling a bushel of FEMALES for $100.00. That is just a bit too much. If anyone knows anyone other than Mel I'd appreciate it. Oh, and it doesn't matter if they aren't cooked, I have a steamer.

Last edited:

Otter

Nothing to see here
female crabs

Always wondered...Growing up, no one I knew kept female crabs, they were thrown back. I always thought there was some law that you couldn't keep them. Its just been in the last 10, 15 yrs that I've seen em sold. Could be that I never noticed but with the scarity of crabs over that last 5 to 10 yrs, stopping the sale of female crabs might help replenish the crab population. just a thought.....

sgtsprout

Mr. Shud da hell up
Crabs

If you remind me, by some kind of email or post theres a guy who got a buschek cooked for like 60.00 I believe. I can find out if they were any good. Size etc.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
A friend of mine got #2 males from Mel's for $ 12.50 a dozen yesterday. He may have been pulling your leg about the females!

Oh, and I forget the name of the place, but it's about halfway between Prince Frederick and Solomons and they have a big sign out front that says "Lively Crabs" on it. I won't patronize them because their service sucks, but I've heard they have decent crabs. You can also try Buckmaster's at Chesapeake Beach, but they're kind of pricey.

Speaking of crabs in Calvert County, I have two pots out and haven't caught a THING!
None of the crabbers around me are getting any either. I know I'm doing it right, but you'd think I'd have gotten more than 50- 1 inch crabs by now (bite size!). :)

NATA'S MOMMY

I was informed that the reason they were so expensive is because it was Memorial weekend and on holidays he (Mel) is MUCH more expensive. A dozen that weekend were like 45 I think. But we are having a HUGE cookout and a dozen aren't going to do 20 people any good except piss them off. I had a friend who sold a bushel for 30 just as long as you didn't care if they were male or female or a mix. But he doesn't go out anymore. I understand realistically I'm not going to find them that cheap but under 100 would be nice. I think we are going to try and go out ourselves, if we can find time, but I have been told that it's much better to go to the eastern shore. I was just looking for someone to save me that trouble. Once again I appreciate all the replies.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by NATA'S MOMMY
... but I have been told that it's much better to go to the eastern shore...
I've heard the same thing. Problem I've always been worried about was transporting them back from Eastern Shore without losing half the crabs.

I really would like to find some 8-10" crabs like I remember as a kid.

I guess those days are long gone! :(

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Kyle955

I really would like to find some 8-10" crabs like I remember as a kid.

I guess those days are long gone! :(

I remember tying chicken necks to the pier and having them jump on as fast as you could scoop them up.

By the way, your "sig" is one of my favorite quotes. :lol:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Sharon

I remember tying chicken necks to the pier and having them jump on as fast as you could scoop them up.

By the way, your "sig" is one of my favorite quotes. :lol:
Yeah! I remember catching 'em like that too! I'd love to see it return.

I was hoping when they started on the more restrictive crabbing regs it would just be that they had to hit a 6" mark to keep them or something. But it seems they changed around the hours and days. Something needs to be done about VA.'s crabbing practices too.

As for the quote...It's one of my favorites too. I always enjoyed the way Franklin made his points. :)

SxyPrincess

I remember catching them, also. I always loved the big, "grandpa" looking ones. They were always real dark in color, had enormous claws and huge shells. They looked as though they could have survived the waters for 100 years.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
The strange cycles of nature. They protect the Rockfish, they eat the baby crabs, the crabs go down.
What next?

sgtsprout

Mr. Shud da hell up
not sure

I asked some freinds, they said for me to go down to piney point near where i live and wait for them to come off the boats and get em off some guys down there.

Someone said goto OCI and aske them. So maybe thursday night after work, if Crystal lets me lol, I swing by for a drink and ask around.