Crabs

NextJen

Raisin cane
I hadn't bothered to put my crab traps out yet this season until I threw one in earlier, maybe around 3:00. Pulled it up about 2 hours later and there was one small male in there! I was surprised, didn't think any were up where I am yet, but it is getting about time. I threw him back and told him to tell his bigger friends where to find the food.

Humbled

May the crab gods smile upon you!

I caught a bushel this morning on the Pax River. Best trip yet this year.

The old-timers used to say that you can't find a good tasting crab until you start seeing sea nettles in the water. Salinity? Do they eat sea nettles? No idea here, but the one claw I ate was good.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm on the Port Tobacco River. Usually takes a little longer for them to work their way up to where I am. Enjoy!

FIL had a commercial license back in the day when we moved to Calvert over 20 years ago. He lives in Benedict. Hub would go out with him. We were very spoiled. Crabs on demand. We live in another country, now, called Montgomery County, and FIL is 89. God love him. Crabs are very pricey here, and only bought for a special occasion. You are lucky. If you sink it, they will come. Happy crabbing! :)

Last edited:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
May the crab gods smile upon you!

I caught a bushel this morning on the Pax River. Best trip yet this year.

The old-timers used to say that you can't find a good tasting crab until you start seeing sea nettles in the water. Salinity? Do they eat sea nettles? No idea here, but the one claw I ate was good.
Salinity.....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My youngest son trot lines commercially..he said they are really starting to fish pretty good up in the sheltered areas like Herring Crekk..

PeoplesElbow

I hadn't bothered to put my crab traps out yet this season until I threw one in earlier, maybe around 3:00. Pulled it up about 2 hours later and there was one small male in there! I was surprised, didn't think any were up where I am yet, but it is getting about time. I threw him back and told him to tell his bigger friends where to find the food.
Glad you have crabs!

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

littlelady

God bless the USA
We are taking crabs to dot’s tomorrow for her bday. It is a shame we can’t catch them ourselves, anymore. We get them from Cameron’s, now. Very pricey. Happy crabbing, y’all!