cracked hoof

bhoffman

when i got sophie in january of 2007 she has a crack on her front right hoof. the farrier said it wasnt too serious since it wasnt up the hoof all the way yet, but in the past few weeks i have noticed it is cracking even more up the hoof. it isnt too wide but i dont want it to reach the cornet band. is there anything i can do myself to help it heal some. she is barefoot and always has been, should i have shoes put on her front feet? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance:)

bhoffman

thank you guys both for your help. the farrier is coming out tomorrow afternoon so i will talk to him as well. do you think putting shoes on her would help correct it. the one website said putting bar shoes on with side clips. what are the most common type of horseshoes that you see. i dont know much about horse shoes since i have never owned a horse that needs shoes. thanks!

bhoffman

i use this on sam as well. are you showing this summer bhoffman?

hey yeah im showing this spring/summer, planning on hitting the MW shows for the first few months and then see if we can get a few SMHA shows in here or there. Im working now so I dont want to ask off too many days. are you?

fredsaid2

thank you guys both for your help. the farrier is coming out tomorrow afternoon so i will talk to him as well. do you think putting shoes on her would help correct it. the one website said putting bar shoes on with side clips. what are the most common type of horseshoes that you see. i dont know much about horse shoes since i have never owned a horse that needs shoes. thanks!

You're on the right track with asking your farrier. Doesn't hurt to scout up info on your own as well. Who is your farrier?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Hey Fred...go say something nice to me in my new horse thread..:huggy: I need it..you always say the right thing to me..

bhoffman

when i got sophie in january of 2007 she has a crack on her front right hoof. the farrier said it wasnt too serious since it wasnt up the hoof all the way yet, but in the past few weeks i have noticed it is cracking even more up the hoof. it isnt too wide but i dont want it to reach the cornet band. is there anything i can do myself to help it heal some. she is barefoot and always has been, should i have shoes put on her front feet? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance:)

i have been using ben shumacher for the past few months, mainly because ive asked around to the other guys and they arent taking many new clients. i wanted to see if richard victor could come out but i cant get a hold of him. any suggestions?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
i have been using ben shumacher for the past few months, mainly because ive asked around to the other guys and they arent taking many new clients. i wanted to see if richard victor could come out but i cant get a hold of him. any suggestions?

I see Richard Friday want me to pass him a message? I have another good guy that is a natural trim guy Quint Ketts he would come right out if you needed him..

bhoffman

could you do that, that would be awesome. im in LaPlata do they both come out here. and do you know how much he is for a trim and how much for front shoes only? thanks.

mistymoofwf

live to ride
yea we are showing EVERY weekend got 8+ horses going so yup, im going to start go back to intence training with david and hopefuly get sam out next year to the "A" shows again. i have not been back to the "A" shows since rose mount in va with canada back in 05 or 06 i would realy like to go back. but we will see. this year its all schooling for me and the girls caitlin is going to show childrens next year so we need to find her a horse, i would like all the girls to be all the same shows this year and next but we are going to
smha
msa
merrymount
b.e.s.t
free state(got a green horse that has never shown, grate show to go to for him =3)
MAYBE mounted wonder
MAYBE columbia
MAYBE equilibrium
depends on what shows is what weekend for us to attend

bhoffman

yea we are showing EVERY weekend got 8+ horses going so yup, im going to start go back to intence training with david and hopefuly get sam out next year to the "A" shows again. i have not been back to the "A" shows since rose mount in va with canada back in 05 or 06 i would realy like to go back. but we will see. this year its all schooling for me and the girls caitlin is going to show childrens next year so we need to find her a horse, i would like all the girls to be all the same shows this year and next but we are going to
smha
msa
merrymount
b.e.s.t
free state(got a green horse that has never shown, grate show to go to for him =3)
MAYBE mounted wonder
MAYBE columbia
MAYBE equilibrium

looks like you guys have a busy year ahead of you. what is b.e.s.t?

ElliesMom

Ellie gets dry this time of year, I have used gelatin, 2x a day in her feed as well as rain maker, she has never really cracked, but she does get hairlines this time of year, the minute I see them I go buy a box of gelatin powder and start with the hoof moisturizers to keep them from growing too large.

Has anyone noticed the amount of thrush lately??

fredsaid2

Ellie gets dry this time of year, I have used gelatin, 2x a day in her feed as well as rain maker, she has never really cracked, but she does get hairlines this time of year, the minute I see them I go buy a box of gelatin powder and start with the hoof moisturizers to keep them from growing too large.

Has anyone noticed the amount of thrush lately??

The hoof can't absorb topical moisturizers except at the coronet band. Gelatin is good as well as feed through Biotin. Keretex will prevent your thrush issues by creating a barrier to all the wet yuck.

DQ2B

Toe is probably too long. Is there flare and/or white line separation? Try having you farrier back the toe up more and closing the angle on the rasp when rasping the toe, i.e., more perpendicular to the ground.

bhoffman

oo ok thank you so much for everyones help. im going to talk to the farrier today so hopefully we can figure something out. should i go ahead and have shoes put on her? also would hooflex, horseshoers secret, or another hoof supplement help prevent cracks in the future?

fredsaid2

oo ok thank you so much for everyones help. im going to talk to the farrier today so hopefully we can figure something out. should i go ahead and have shoes put on her? also would hooflex, horseshoers secret, or another hoof supplement help prevent cracks in the future?

A biotin supplement can be helpful. It will take many months to see results if any. I feed one because of bad hooves years ago and continue because it's now routine. Can't say for sure if it's the one thing that helped or just regular farrier and good nutrition since getting him. Get your farrier's opinion on shoes. There's nothing wrong w/ them if they're beneficial but you'll save a ton of money if your horse can go w/o.

Duckz

smha
msa
merrymount
b.e.s.t
MAYBE mounted wonder
MAYBE columbia
MAYBE equilibrium

Sorry to get off topic...but misty, do you have the dates of the Merrymount shows? They haven't updated their website yet.