Crazy video from inside an unmanned F-16 during a

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Crazy video from inside an unmanned F-16 during a supersonic test flight

It shows the QF-16 Full Scale Aerial Target’s first flight on Sept. 19 from Tyndall Air Force base in Florida from a quite unusual perspective: a camera pointing towards an empty ejection seat.

The aircraft was remotely controlled from a Ground Control Station at Tyndall by two F-16 pilots (“QF-16 plane controllers”) with the 82nd Aerial Target Squadron who flew the plane up to 40,000 feet at supersonic speed (Mach 1.47) engaging maneuvers like a barrel roll and pulling up to 7Gs.

Noteworthy, the pilot start the engine up, performs all the flight checks and then get out of the plane before the drone is guided to take off. During the test flight, the QF-16 was chased by an F-4 and another F-16.

target drone hell ....
.. use the damn thing in combat, keep the pilots on the ground

glhs837

Power with Control
Doing that stuff remotely isn't remotely like doing real air combat. That plane is good enough to act as a target for testing new missiles, thats about it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Doing that stuff remotely isn't remotely like doing real air combat. That plane is good enough to act as a target for testing new missiles, thats about it.

really. seems to me with a few more cameras .... :whistle:

glhs837

Power with Control
really. seems to me with a few more cameras .... :whistle:

Doesnt matter how many cameras, there's just something about an ass in the seat (and an ass on the line) that no amount of cameras can replace, at least so far.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
target drone hell ....
.. use the damn thing in combat, keep the pilots on the ground

The liberal, and stupid, NBC news last night closed the story about the remotely-piloted F-16 by commenting that it would put a lot of fighter pilots out of work. Stupid NBC didn't bother reading the Air Force public affairs write up. They plan on bringing older jets out of mothballs for this project. No current F-16 pilots' jobs are at risk. And they plan on converting only a handful of those to boot.

goughrmak

I read another article that talked about using Block 15/25/30 aircraft. When I was in the Air National Guard at Andrews, we had Block 30 jets. I think this is a GREAT idea. This gives our current pilots a supersonic fighter to target on training missions. The QF-4 is too much like a tractor trailer (big and lumbering) with the QF-16 being more like a mini-Cooper (small and agile).