Creature Comforts vs. Freedom

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
As I mentally prepare to go to work, the thought has occurred to me on numerous occasions that having a whole lot of stuff (which has to be paid for and so forth) seems to be the main driver for having a job in the first place. "Making a living" seems almost a misnomer when you spend all your time making it instead of living it. I like my job and I get a great deal of satisfaction out of succeeding at what I do, but there are times when there's an urge to just split, leaving it all behind. Do I really want to work until I'm an old man? (Oops, don't look now, but that day is fast approaching).

Just thinking.

Your thoughts?

glhs837

Power with Control
I suppose that depends on how much you love what you do. I have been blessed for the last 13 years to be doing jobs I truly love.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I love my house and my little world but it occurred to me on this last roadtrip that I could give it all up and go vagabond pretty easily. It would be cheaper to live in hotel rooms and campgrounds than the mortgage on my house, not to mention monthly utilities.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Western Montana Rockies are beautiful this time of the year. I always wanted to be a ski bum, in comfort, at least. We could do it, but now we have those darn grand kids that won't let go of Pop Pop and Grandma.:buddies:

I love my house and my little world but it occurred to me on this last roadtrip that I could give it all up and go vagabond pretty easily. It would be cheaper to live in hotel rooms and campgrounds than the mortgage on my house, not to mention monthly utilities.
I have a friend that said she is considering living on a cruise ship as her retirement plan. Regular/repeat cruisers get steep discounts. Once on board you have you own room, available doctor care, all you can eat, exercise rooms, entertainment, an ever changing view, etc.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I walked away at age 49. I went on a road trip to Alaska and never looked back. I'd rather do things now while I can and not wait until I'm aged and lack the mobility.

Home is an RV. I have a stick & brick home, I just don't live in it. Other than rent and my military pension I don't get any other monies. I have taken a few seasonal jobs but I took those so I could get the location I wanted. I spent last summer in George Washington National Forest working 20 hours week babysitting a campground. The year before I took a position with a concessionaire in Yellowstone National Park. They put me in a campground right on lake Yellowstone. I woke to an incredible view every morning. I have also volunteered for a campsite. I spent parts of summers in Alaska and New York as a camp host.

It takes a bit of getting use to. You really can't have any bills. You weigh purchases carefully. Most of my money is spent on food and fuel. I have enough stuff and I don't need any more stuff. I enjoy fishing and after purchasing a license it really doesn't cost me anything to sit in the boat all day. Hikes are another low cost activity. Cookouts are always fun.

I have a lot of freedom to do what I want. I try to plan 1 'adventure' a year that usually includes a nice destination to hang out for a few months. If I can score a free campsite that really helps out. I'm at the point where I don't want to regret things I didn't do.

This lifestyle isn't for everybody but it seems to be working for me. I'm sure when I'm ready for the eternal dirt nap I won't have regretted the places I've seen and the things I've done these past few years.

Get busy living or get busy dying.

Last edited:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I have a friend that said she is considering living on a cruise ship as her retirement plan. Regular/repeat cruisers get steep discounts. Once on board you have you own room, available doctor care, all you can eat, exercise rooms, entertainment, an ever changing view, etc.

Sounds like a great plan! But I spent most of my time in the Navy afloat, and got tired of it. Not ready to go back yet. :lol:

Sounds nice, at first... can imagine getting very bored very quickly. Tough to see old friends.

I walked away at age 48. I went on a road trip to Alaska and never looked back. I'd rather do things now while I can and not wait until I'm aged and lack the mobility.

Home is an RV. I have a stick & brick home, I just don't live in it. Other than rent and my military pension I don't get any other monies. I have taken a few seasonal jobs but I took those so I could get the location I wanted. I spent last summer in George Washington National Forest working 20 hours week babysitting a campground. The year before I took a position with a concessionaire in Yellowstone National Park. They put me in a campground right on lake Yellowstone. I woke to an incredible view every morning. I have also volunteered for a campsite. I spent parts of summers in Alaska and New York as a camp host.

It takes a bit of getting use to. You really can't have any bills. You weigh purchases carefully. Most of my money is spent on food and fuel. I have enough stuff and I don't need any more stuff. I enjoy fishing and after purchasing a license it really doesn't cost me anything to sit in the boat all day. Hikes are another low cost activity. Cookouts are always fun.

I have a lot of freedom to do what I want. I try to plan 1 'adventure' a year that usually includes a nice destination to hang out for a few months. If I can score a free campsite that really helps out. I'm at the point where I don't want to regret things I didn't do.

This lifestyle isn't for everybody but it seems to be working for me. I'm sure when I'm ready for the eternal dirt nap I won't have regretted the places I've seen and the things I've done these past few years.

Get busy living or get busy dying.

Great attitude. So many, like me, fearful to take that step because we might not have enough money to survive. You've done it. Kudos.

A friend from England once noted to me that the rest of the world lives to work, whereas Americans tend to work to live.

MarieB

Germ infested boat

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Speaking of, that reminded me about this

Floating city: Plan for 40,000 people to live on the high seas - Telegraph

Which to me sounds like one big target, and generally not appealing

I concur!

I remember not too terribly long ago when the Navy sold an aircraft carrier to a scrap company for a penny, I made jokes about turning it into a cruise ship, but certainly didn't consider the idea of anyone wanting to be at sea in any size of vessel for very long.

In the navy, carriers are euphemistically called "bird farms" and I doubt that many sailors would choose to retire to one.

And, Target? You betcha.

ZARA

I grew up dirt poor, hand me downs, etc. For a while I had no place to call home. No family. No true friends, only acquaintances. All of this before I turned 16.

I decided back then that I would have everything my heart desired but was denied me in my youth. A big, warm, welcoming home with enough spare rooms for friends and family to visit. A partner that loved me as much as I could love. A child that had everything but understood that it must be earned. Friends that cherished me as much as I cherish them. And I have succeeded. I have never been happier in my entire life than I am right now. My family are people I have grown to love over the years, my friends are my family and I cherish all of them dearly. I love my "job" and the people I work with, both bring me a sense of belonging and accomplishment.

I am very satisfied with my adult life. I have had "freedom" and it did not make me happy. I felt lost like a ship adrift at sea. I prefer my "creature comforts" because they anchor me and give me a sense of belonging.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I grew up dirt poor, hand me downs, etc. For a while I had no place to call home. No family. No true friends, only acquaintances. All of this before I turned 16.

I decided back then that I would have everything my heart desired but was denied me in my youth. A big, warm, welcoming home with enough spare rooms for friends and family to visit. A partner that loved me as much as I could love. A child that had everything but understood that it must be earned. Friends that cherished me as much as I cherish them. And I have succeeded. I have never been happier in my entire life than I am right now. My family are people I have grown to love over the years, my friends are my family and I cherish all of them dearly. I love my "job" and the people I work with, both bring me a sense of belonging and accomplishment.

I am very satisfied with my adult life. I have had "freedom" and it did not make me happy. I felt lost like a ship adrift at sea. I prefer my "creature comforts" because they anchor me and give me a sense of belonging.

Good on ya!! :huggy:

Louise

It sure is!

I see you are bringing old threads back tonight. Like!

And,want to say that I am still in touch with RailRoad and receive his daily devotional through email everyday. RIP Wendy. :wench:

Last edited: