Crickets

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.

How do you like yours cooked? I prefer "well done."

--- End of line (MCP)

limblips

PREMO Member
And crickets don't fart so we could save the planet from imminent destruction in 12 years.

SamSpade

The problem with most bug "protein" is, a lot of it is either keratin (the exoskeleton) or other forms of fibrous protein which our bodies can't digest. If you want to eat bugs as a source of protein, maybe turn to larvae or grubs as food.

On the other hand - based on acceptable levels in every day foods - you've probably already eaten about a pound of bugs so far this year in the form of tiny eggs and insect parts. You're just not aware of it.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
On the Food Network show "Chopped," they give the contestants some pretty weird ingredients to incorporate into the dishes they create. Grasshoppers, goat brains, haggis, 100 year old eggs, Rocky Mountain oysters, durian, chicken feet, eyeballs, pickled pig lips...

The show is not for people faint of heart and with queasy stomachs. :lol:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
On the other hand - based on acceptable levels in every day foods - you've probably already eaten about a pound of bugs so far this year in the form of tiny eggs and insect parts. You're just not aware of it.

Indeed ... leave a bag of flour or some 'mix' in the cabinet for 6 months

Clem72

A softball field snack bar I used to frequent had fried chocolate crickets which we would occasionally buy each other as a joke when someone said "get me something to snack on" but wasn't specific. They were pretty good as long as you didn't think about what you were eating.

Also, beef protein content may be a bit lower than insects, but thats because "beef" contains a ton of water, and a bit of fat (necessary for your diet). But I don't know where they get that 17% number, unless they are eating hooves and hide.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The problem with most bug "protein" is, a lot of it is either keratin (the exoskeleton) or other forms of fibrous protein which our bodies can't digest. If you want to eat bugs as a source of protein, maybe turn to larvae or grubs as food.

How is this different from eating a fried soft crab?

gemma_rae

I'm not sure if anyone recalls Nathalie Dupree, but I watched her shows and she made her fried shrimp with the head and tails on. Extra crunchie!🦐