Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LeBron James leaving the Cavs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SamSpade

Racism is back in the forefront.
Lather, rinse, repeat....
It will always be this way, as long as it has willing allies in the press.

I've been reading a bit of Booker T Washington recently. I find him utterly fascinating but I suspect many today would dismiss him, because he was a Republican, and certainly sounds that way to some people. Here's a bit from one of his writings:

"There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs–partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, be-cause they do not want to lose their jobs."

In the same article he mentions this story which I found as equally applicable -

"I remember one young man in particular who graduated from Yale University and afterward took a post-graduate course at Harvard, and who began his career by delivering a series of lectures on “The Mistakes of Booker T. Washington.” It was not long, however, before he found that he could not live continuously on my mistakes. Then he discovered that in all his long schooling he had not fitted himself to perform any kind of useful and productive labour. After he had failed in several other directions he appealed to me, and I tried to find something for him to do. It is pretty hard, however, to help a young man who has started wrong. Once he gets the idea that–because he has crammed his head full with mere book knowledge–the world owes him a living, it is hard for him to change. The last I heard of the young man in question, he was trying to eke out a miserable existence as a book agent while he was looking about for a position somewhere with the Government as a janitor or for some other equally humble occupation."

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
"There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs–partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, be-cause they do not want to lose their jobs."
orld owes him a living, it is hard for him to change. The last I heard of the young man in question, he was trying to eke out a m

And here I thought that race baiting was a recent strategy. So poverty pimps have been around for a long time.

Grumpy

And here I thought that race baiting was a recent strategy. So poverty pimps have been around for a long time.

Recent is relative, not sure what you consider recent. I know in high school in the 60s, prior to King being killed, there was a big protest that the cheer leading squad had to be percentage based on the split between black/white at the school. That is the first time I came across set-asides that weren't based on ability..I didn't really dwell on it other than to think it made no sense.