Cross Country?

SugarNSpikes

Apart from trail riding at Oak Ridge on occasion and riding at my farm, my horse and I don't do much as far as open fields/jumps/woods are concerned. Tonight, we walked up to a fairly large (imo) log and without a moment's hesitation, he leaped over it.

I'd like to try my hand at cross country, and I'm wondering if there are any low level shows or if anyone has a course at their farm (In the tri county area) that they let people use?

He is bad with other horses on trails (he has to be the leader or he throws a tantrum, hence no hunter paces) so preferably, we would go by ourselves.

Thanks in advance! ;)

highnote

Check out cage stables in cavlert county. AWESOME place to school- $35/day. They have tons of XC jumps, beach, sand and grass rings, trails, etc. Their XC course is a bit outdated (old) but still fine for schooling. And you can't beat a gallop down the beach, or going for a swim on horseback!

Attachments

• beachCropSmall.jpg
    beachCropSmall.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 119
Bummer! You just missed the Marlborough Unrecognized event. Other things to watch for include the Jumper Derby (way too much fun but already past for this year!) and other unrecognized events. BUT, if my pony and I can do a BN recognized event successfully, anyone can! You can find more by going to the Maryland Combined Training Asociation website - Latest News - click on starter events for more info.

You'll also find clinics advertised here sometimes (Duckz did one on here not too long ago that listed several) that are for eventing. That can be a great way to not only jump, but make sure you're doing it right and learning all at the same time! You do usually participate as part of a group, but when you're jumping, you're on your own. The rest of the time, you watch.

Duckz

Apart from trail riding at Oak Ridge on occasion and riding at my farm, my horse and I don't do much as far as open fields/jumps/woods are concerned. Tonight, we walked up to a fairly large (imo) log and without a moment's hesitation, he leaped over it.

I'd like to try my hand at cross country, and I'm wondering if there are any low level shows or if anyone has a course at their farm (In the tri county area) that they let people use?

He is bad with other horses on trails (he has to be the leader or he throws a tantrum, hence no hunter paces) so preferably, we would go by ourselves.

Thanks in advance! ;)

I've trailered to Dodon Farm near Annapolis for lessons with Steuart Pittman. He has a big field with lots of cross country jumps. I think lessons are $60/hr. Well worth it. Steuart is wonderful. I wanted to go consistently all winter, but then we got all that rain and snow:cds: Speaking of, need to get back up there now that weather is good again :buddies:

Eventer29

We usually have XC schooling and clinics at our farm. Winter and our horses did a number on our jumps this year so we are rebuilding a bunch. When we get more jumps up we will be doing open schooling days and clinics again. Thinking it will be July. We are in Prince Frederick, and usually have a variety from small logs-3' fences including a couple banks, a ditch, and water.

SugarNSpikes

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback. I really appreciate it.

The lessons with Steuart Pittman include actual coaching?

Also, Eventer, please let me know when you are back in business - I'd definitely be interested in coming out.

Duckz

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback. I really appreciate it.

The lessons with Steuart Pittman include actual coaching?

Also, Eventer, please let me know when you are back in business - I'd definitely be interested in coming out.

Yup, it's an actual lesson. Here's info: Dodon Farm: Lessons and Clinics He does lots of clinics too. Woodbury has had him down a couple times this year. Recommend going to his place if you want cross country experience :popcorn:

SugarNSpikes

Yeah, we definitely need the experience and practice. You mentioned the event that I just recently missed - I was looking at the pictures and we are a LONG way from there! :) But hey, you gotta start somewhere.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
We will come play to. :dye: Red LOVES to do cross country. My dressage is getting better :rofl: We now do a test and not completely mess it up. I actually REMEMBERED my test this time! :dye: