Cruises

luvmygdaughters

We got back Saturday from a 7 day cruise on RCCL. We went to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Curacao and Aruba. They were all beautiful islands, but, Aruba was the bomb!!!! We left out of Puerto Rico. That said, I think its the last time we will go cruising. Things have changed on the ships, it was like being nickel and dimed for every little thing. I think we will consider an all inclusive resort before booking another cruise. I did talk to another couple on the cruise who advised that Oceana Cruises, offers all inclusive cruising. Has anyone ever used them before? Also heard something about Viking Ocean cruises being all inclusive.

MR47930

I've never been on a cruise but I like the idea of seeing different places on one trip. My only gripe is being on a "schedule" while on vacation or risk missing the ship. The wife and I usually do all inclusive resorts and knowing that everything is paid for up front and you can eat and drink with reckless abandon is nice.

DQ2B

Love cruising. Not sure what you mean about the nickel and diming. I rarely have to pay for anything extra on the cruise. Excursions of course are extra on the island but I always do those on my own, not through the ship unless the ships price happens to be the cheapest.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A friend and his wife are in Cancun at an all inclusive beach resort, eating and drinking like maniacs. I love paying one price and not having to worry about anything else.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I stayed at Sandals in Montego Bay, all inclusive. Our bill upon check out after 8 days was $1.00. That was for a phone call. :lol:

lovinmaryland

We got back Saturday from a 7 day cruise on RCCL. We went to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Curacao and Aruba. They were all beautiful islands, but, Aruba was the bomb!!!! We left out of Puerto Rico. That said, I think its the last time we will go cruising. Things have changed on the ships, it was like being nickel and dimed for every little thing. I think we will consider an all inclusive resort before booking another cruise. I did talk to another couple on the cruise who advised that Oceana Cruises, offers all inclusive cruising. Has anyone ever used them before? Also heard something about Viking Ocean cruises being all inclusive.

You might want to check out Celebrity. They are a step above RCCL. We started cruising on RCCL and really enjoyed them but like you said eventually everything started being an extra cost...when you have to check out towels w/ your room key or get a $25 penalty, that's a little too much for me! Also we found the food on RCCL went down hill big time ($25 to get steak in the main dining room say what?? you have to pay for room service?? )...almost like they bought lesser quality so you would spend the extra $$ to go to their specialty restaurants. Our first cruise on Celebrity was night and day compared to RCCL. Food quality was excellent (we never eat in the specialty restaurant unless we were compd) Also they offer all inclusive drink packages which covers everything extra...Specialty coffees, water bottles, juices, sodas, red bull, Gatorade, alcohol, beer, wine, champagne, literally EVERYTHING there is to drink on the ship. They also don't make everyone in the rooms purchase a package like other lines do.

luvmygdaughters

A friend and his wife are in Cancun at an all inclusive beach resort, eating and drinking like maniacs. I love paying one price and not having to worry about anything else.

We stayed at the Riu Pennisula in Cancun...it was still the best vacation I've ever had. Everything included!!! They had a great little bar, right on the beach, had ceiling fans, bathrooms and plenty of seating, it was great since you could sit in there to get out of the sun, but still have that wonderful breeze from Caribbean cooling you off.

luvmygdaughters

Love cruising. Not sure what you mean about the nickel and diming. I rarely have to pay for anything extra on the cruise. Excursions of course are extra on the island but I always do those on my own, not through the ship unless the ships price happens to be the cheapest.

Lets see, to eat in the specialty restaurants they charged $ 25.00 pp, my husband ordered the lobster and we were charged an additional fee for that, never had that happen before. Went to guest relations to ask them to print out our boarding passes for the flight home the next day, I was told it be an $ 18.00 charge for EACH boarding pass or, I could purchase one of their internet packages to print it out myself. $10.00 for one hour of internet, just to spend 10 minutes printing the passes. You can bring two bottles of wine on the ship, however, it was a 7 day cruise. I purchased a bottle of Kendall Jackson Cab to take to our room, the cost for a $ 12.00-$15.00 range wine...$ 43.99!!!! Never Again!!!

luvmygdaughters

You might want to check out Celebrity. They are a step above RCCL. We started cruising on RCCL and really enjoyed them but like you said eventually everything started being an extra cost...when you have to check out towels w/ your room key or get a $25 penalty, that's a little too much for me! Also we found the food on RCCL went down hill big time ($25 to get steak in the main dining room say what?? you have to pay for room service?? )...almost like they bought lesser quality so you would spend the extra $$ to go to their specialty restaurants. Our first cruise on Celebrity was night and day compared to RCCL. Food quality was excellent (we never eat in the specialty restaurant unless we were compd) Also they offer all inclusive drink packages which covers everything extra...Specialty coffees, water bottles, juices, sodas, red bull, Gatorade, alcohol, beer, wine, champagne, literally EVERYTHING there is to drink on the ship. They also don't make everyone in the rooms purchase a package like other lines do.

We were the same way, used to love RCCL, we were so disappointed on this last cruise. May look at Celebrity, if we ever decide to take another cruise. Like I said before, another couple was telling us about Oceana cruises, where everything, including air fare and excursions are included.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I believe, dollar for dollar, that taking a cruise is the best use of your vacation money. The ship is your hotel, transportation, entertainment, pool, gym, disco, food, bar/lounge, chapel, spa and a few other things depending on the ship. If you are flexible there are quite a few last minute bargains.

I got a 14 day cruise, balcony room on Cunard for $2,000 for 2 people. Add in the room tip on top of that. No way can you stay in hotels and eat out for 2 weeks for $2k in those same locations visited by the ship. Not to mention just a single check in and check out.

luvmygdaughters

I believe, dollar for dollar, that taking a cruise is the best use of your vacation money. The ship is your hotel, transportation, entertainment, pool, gym, disco, food, bar/lounge, chapel, spa and a few other things depending on the ship. If you are flexible there are quite a few last minute bargains.

I got a 14 day cruise, balcony room on Cunard for $2,000 for 2 people. Add in the room tip on top of that. No way can you stay in hotels and eat out for 2 weeks for $2k in those same locations visited by the ship. Not to mention just a single check in and check out.

I've never taken a 14 day cruise, 7 is the best I could do on a ship. All cruise lines are not the same and I am not opposed to taking another one, just not on RCCL again. I've seem some advertised for approximately $2,500.00 for 7 days, this includes balcony room, beverages (including alcohol), meals, free wifi and one excursion in each port.

DQ2B

Lets see, to eat in the specialty restaurants they charged $ 25.00 pp, my husband ordered the lobster and we were charged an additional fee for that, never had that happen before. Went to guest relations to ask them to print out our boarding passes for the flight home the next day, I was told it be an $ 18.00 charge for EACH boarding pass or, I could purchase one of their internet packages to print it out myself. $10.00 for one hour of internet, just to spend 10 minutes printing the passes. You can bring two bottles of wine on the ship, however, it was a 7 day cruise. I purchased a bottle of Kendall Jackson Cab to take to our room, the cost for a $ 12.00-$15.00 range wine...$ 43.99!!!! Never Again!!!

Never had to pay to get my boarding passes printed or for lobster in the main dining room. Never eat at the specialty resturants so that is not an issue. Maybe try another line?

lovinmaryland

FYI a heads up on how to get more wine vs the two per room. You and your spouse or person who you're traveling w/ go through the separate scanner line. They typically have 3 or 4 set up next to each other. We've always gotten on 2 bottles per person that way. Also we've subbed out champagne for wine and its never been an issue.

luvmygdaughters

FYI a heads up on how to get more wine vs the two per room. You and your spouse or person who you're traveling w/ go through the separate scanner line. They typically have 3 or 4 set up next to each other. We've always gotten on 2 bottles per person that way. Also we've subbed out champagne for wine and its never been an issue.

Great idea!!! Wished I had known that before going.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

But, you're ON a cruise ship. That's not a vacation. That's being ON a cruise ship. That they have added all those...amenities...merely reinforces the point; you're on a cruise ship...BUT...hey, we got us a dance floor and a gym and you can go to church! On their cruise ship...trying to figure the best way to get the most alcohol as cheaply as possible...to deal with...being on a cruise ship.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
LOL. Guessing you don't get on an airplane unless it's to go skydiving then? :razz:

Airplanes are a necessary evil. Check that; commercial airlines are a necessary evil. They have the sole virtue of getting you THERE pretty quickly. As opposed to being ON a cruise ship to get THERE so you can get off and on...the cruise ship. Instead of being THERE.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Airplanes are a necessary evil. Check that; commercial airlines are a necessary evil. They have the sole virtue of getting you THERE pretty quickly. As opposed to being ON a cruise ship to get THERE so you can get off and on...the cruise ship. Instead of being THERE.

"I'm here, I'm not here.
There's nothing that I know for sure.
You're here, you're not here.
How long can this all go on for?
Oh, I don't know."

(J. Stone)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
"I'm here, I'm not here.
There's nothing that I know for sure.
You're here, you're not here.
How long can this all go on for?
Oh, I don't know."

(J. Stone)

Go ahead. Laugh it up.

They'll next add a fireworks show you can watch from your floating disco/buffet/booze fest.

[video=youtube;c--fP017Xoc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c--fP017Xoc[/video]