Crying women in car a scam?

Warron

So the other day, a couple women pulled up next to me in the Giant parking lot as I loaded groceries and sat there with the windows down as the driver loudly cried into a cell phone about not having enough money for gas to get somewhere. After a minute the passenger spoke up and asked me for money. I said I don't carry cash and they drove away. Is this the new beggar scam? Usually they just walk up to me and beg. I thought that it might be real for a few seconds, but the way the driver was making such a scene screamed scam to me. I'm just curious if others have seen these women around wasting gas to beg for money to buy gas or maybe they did go somewhere?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just one of many scams. On my trip out west, every single stop I made, for gas or rest, someone made a pitch for money. One person was at my car door before I even got out with a story so intricate and involved I knew it for a scam immediately, I finally cut them off and told them to cut to the chase, knowing they wanted money. In almost every case, they needed money for gas, mis-calculated the trip, need to get to a new job, and on and on. My standard response is the same as you used.... I don't carry cash, plastic only. In one case I offered to put gas in their car using my plastic, and they turned it down.

In your case, if they didn't have money for gas, what were they doing driving around? You'd think they'd stay at the gas station to make the story more believable.

black dog

Free America
It was a scam,
I had a young man a few years back as me for some gas money to get home.
He said he was a soldier on leave and was heading home and was short of cash.
I asked for his id and orders and he showed both to me. I filled his ride up and sent him home.
One of the few times I have given money to someone...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It was a scam,
I had a young man a few years back as me for some gas money to get home.
He said he was a soldier on leave and was heading home and was short of cash.
I asked for his id and orders and he showed both to me. I filled his ride up and sent him home.
One of the few times I have given money to someone...

When I was in New Orleans a guy was in front of the bar going, "Money for alcohol! I need money for alcohol!" I gave him $5 because I reward honesty.

black dog

Free America
When I was in New Orleans a guy was in front of the bar going, "Money for alcohol! I need money for alcohol!" I gave him $5 because I reward honesty.

This young man was traveling from Ft Bragg to Bowie...
I didn't think he had made a trip like that before...

He was a very nice well dressed young man, a credit to his family and The US Army...

Kinnakeet

Just one of many scams. On my trip out west, every single stop I made, for gas or rest, someone made a pitch for money. One person was at my car door before I even got out with a story so intricate and involved I knew it for a scam immediately, I finally cut them off and told them to cut to the chase, knowing they wanted money. In almost every case, they needed money for gas, mis-calculated the trip, need to get to a new job, and on and on. My standard response is the same as you used.... I don't carry cash, plastic only. In one case I offered to put gas in their car using my plastic, and they turned it down.

In your case, if they didn't have money for gas, what were they doing driving around? You'd think they'd stay at the gas station to make the story more believable.
You should have asked them for money because you didnt bring enough

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I try to radiate hostility when in public so those people don't approach me. It works most of the time.

RBF also keeps people away.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
RBF also keeps people away.
View attachment 159553
I saw this young girl, 13 ish or so, with her bestie at the fair on Sunday and let me tell you, she was a KWEEN with the RBF. #YOUGOGRRLL There was a group of 4 kids behind RBF and in front of us, and she was DONE with their BS. Daggers flew from her eyes, condescension oozed from her stoic features and the message was being sent out but not received. I was intimidated yet highly entertained at the same time.

I told the LW that I had to share this story with you.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I saw this young girl, 13 ish or so, with her bestie at the fair on Sunday and let me tell you, she was a KWEEN with the RBF. #YOUGOGRRLL There was a group of 4 kids behind RBF and in front of us, and she was DONE with their BS. Daggers flew from her eyes, condescension oozed from her stoic features and the message was being sent out but not received. I was intimidated yet highly entertained at the same time.

I told the LW that I had to share this story with you.
That's hilarious! :lmao:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I gave an older fella $20 for gas at one of the truck stops at Mt. Carmel, just off 95. He walked over from a beater station wagon chock full of wife, kids and family possessions that was parked nearby and very awkwardly asked if I could help him get where ever it was they were trying to get to. Said he'd just spent their last gas money replacing the alternator on their old beater...offered to show the new alternator to me if I didn't believe him.

Bare-ya-cuda

Never let them get between your car and the pump.