CSM CSM Cross Country Teams Start 2019 Fall Season

The College of Southern Maryland’s (CSM) cross country teams began its 2019 season Sept. 7 when the team raced in the Shannon Henretty Invitational at Stevenson University’s Greenspring Campus in Stevenson, Maryland.

CSM Sophomore Sierra Walker has returned to lead the CSM Women’s Cross Country team after setting a record for the college last year, running the second-fastest female time in CSM history. She set that record when she completed the Hornet Harrier 5K at Shenandoah University in Winchester, Virginia, in 23:13.0. At the Shannon Henretty Invitational in 2018, Walker ran a time of 29:03.4 in the 6K race.

“[Walker] made a pretty good improvement last year, but this year, the workouts she’s been doing are far better than what she did last year.” said CSM Head Coach Ken Killion. “I’m expecting her to have a really good season this year.”
Ken Killion
College of Southern Maryland Cross Country Head Coach Ken Killion

Walker is joined this year by Brittany Douglas, Tiequille Jones and Gabrielle Wilson on the women’s team which grows the team by three. Walker was the only runner on CSM’s 2018 women’s team.

Newcomers and freshmen Brandon Harty and Nathan Maldonado-Munoz took 13th and 16th place, respectively, in the men’s 8K race at the Shannon Henretty Invitational. Harty ran a time of 35:09.71, while Maldonado-Munoz finished close behind him at 36:55.89.

Killion added another race to the Hawks’ schedule this year, the Catholic University Cardinal Classic in Colmar Manor, Maryland, on Sept. 14. CSM will again be racing at the Goucher College Cross Country Classic Oct. 5 in Baltimore, Maryland, and the Hood College Open Oct. 19 in Frederick, Maryland.

Killion shared that he has a simple message for his team.

“Basically, I tell them, I don’t care how fast or slow they are, as long as they give 100 percent when you’re supposed to – in each practice, in each meet,” he shared. “If you run smart and give 100 percent, at the end of the season you can hold your head high.”