Cukes and Peanuts

cricketmd

My cucumber plants are taking off like nuts! Here's one plant and I already have a few large cucumbers. I have no peanut plants up yet... its been awhile... anyone else plant peanuts this year? I'm wondering whether to plant on top of them or not and see what happens. I had success last year, not this year, I guess. Anyone else plant Peanuts too? Its June, I'd think they'd be up by now.

Attachments

• cucumberplant.jpg
    cucumberplant.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 164
  • cucumber.jpg
    cucumber.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 134

Katelin

one day the dark will end
My cucumber plants are taking off like nuts! Here's one plant and I already have a few large cucumbers. I have no peanut plants up yet... its been awhile... anyone else plant peanuts this year? I'm wondering whether to plant on top of them or not and see what happens. I had success last year, not this year, I guess. Anyone else plant Peanuts too? Its June, I'd think they'd be up by now.

When I had space for a garden, I grew my cucumbers and squashes on pallets angled at a tilt (45 degrees)..it was neat! I miss a garden, all I have are TONS of tall trees..no grass, not place to plant.
Keep up the good green thumb work!!:buddies:

cricketmd

When I had space for a garden, I grew my cucumbers and squashes on pallets angled at a tilt (45 degrees)..it was neat! I miss a garden, all I have are TONS of tall trees..no grass, not place to plant.
Keep up the good green thumb work!!:buddies:

Thanks Katelin, there is a small inclined caging to climb up, I'm experimenting on that. Have you considered container planting? That seems a good way to go, if you could cut down a tree maybe? Or just move to another side of house?

Katelin

Thanks Katelin, there is a small inclined caging to climb up, I'm experimenting on that. Have you considered container planting? That seems a good way to go, if you could cut down a tree maybe? Or just move to another side of house?

I rent... :(

But you bet when I buy a house, it will have a nice sunny area for a garden!!! :yahoo:

Katelin

Where I rented and had a garden, I would compost. But being just one person, I did not generate enough stuff to compost..so I talked to some local restaurants and got their green garbage. Wendy's was the funniest..a HUGE bag of left over ice-burg lettuce...that would compost down to a pint sized amount after all the water evaporated! The other places had better greens and I got manure from my neighbor. There is something special about planting a seed and watch it grow. I did gourds one year on bamboo tee-pees..those are crazy plants!!!
I miss digging in the dirt... ......

calvcopf

My cucumber plants are very small still (about 4 inches tall). Should I stake them, cage them or neither? I hope to get cucmbers some time this year, like the ones you have already.Do you put anything on them to keep bugs away? This is the first time I have planted anything, so any tips would be appreciated! Thanks

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I found squash bug eggs on the underside of 2 leaves yesterday. I promptly cut away the affected part of the leaf and burned those eggs! They will not get my plants this year!

Have already harvested several Jalapeno peppers. Waiting on the first tomatoes to ripen. Can't wait to see if they are good. I will probably be sharing the pumpkins in the Fall as I expect to end up with an ark full of them (te he).

cricketmd

My cucumber plants are very small still (about 4 inches tall). Should I stake them, cage them or neither? I hope to get cucmbers some time this year, like the ones you have already.Do you put anything on them to keep bugs away? This is the first time I have planted anything, so any tips would be appreciated! Thanks

I usually dont stake them or do anything to them. If there's bugs I sprinkle some Sevin dust on or around but not near harvest time on a particiluar area. Good luck with it. They are very easy to grow!! I would give it some miracle grow or put it in some kind of soil that would feed the plant. :smile: Good luck! :buddies: