Curious about Blood thinners...& Covid 19

Hessian

Fact: The elderly have a higher mortality from Covid 19
Respiratory issue are central to this infection.
Research says that the ability of red blood cells to carry essential oxygen to the organs is inhibited by Covid 19

So...Nurses, & Doctors: since many elderly patients take blood thinners to prevent a stroke: ARE those thinners ALSO making it harder for the red blood cells to carry the 02,...or are they unrelated? If they are connected,...somebody better get the word out. If they are not related,...I can pass along some calming to my 90 year old mother. Thanks for your insight--

Clem72

There are a lot of different blood thinners, so you might want to google the exact medication. But none of them actually thin the blood or as far as I am aware reduce red blood cells that carry oxygen. Blood thinners prevent clotting and I think reduce the ability for plaque to stick to arteries.

If they reduced the oxygenation of the blood you can believe that would be a well documented side effect given the overlap of people who already have diseases that cause hypoxemia and people who would need blood thinners.

PeoplesElbow

It seems the issue is the immune system not responding at first and then over responding for the people that have serious trouble.

Immune system supressing drugs are promising in treatment.

PeoplesElbow

Fact: The elderly have a higher mortality from Covid 19
Respiratory issue are central to this infection.
Research says that the ability of red blood cells to carry essential oxygen to the organs is inhibited by Covid 19

So...Nurses, & Doctors: since many elderly patients take blood thinners to prevent a stroke: ARE those thinners ALSO making it harder for the red Iblood cells to carry the 02,...or are they unrelated? If they are connected,...somebody better get the word out. If they are not related,...I can pass along some calming to my 90 year old mother. Thanks for your insight--

Haven't heard back from you about this, but I just read that blood clotting is very common with patients with COVID-19 so in Spain doctors have started giving patients blood thinners as part of their standard treatment.

So maybe this will help calm some of your mom's fears?