CURRENT Commandant of the Marine Corps

transporter

Warns that deployment to southern border is one of many factors reducing the readiness of the Marine Corps.

This is not some esoteric political bullsh!t like what Kyle posted. This is another actual negative impact of the asinine policies of Donald Trump.

So as not to offend spitbubble's newfound intellectual sensibilities, this is just the letter from the commandant. She can go elsewhere to read commentary.

This_person

In a list of 9 things, prioritized, "Border security funding transfers" was mentioned as number 9 and never spoken of again in multi-page letter discussing challenges to the Marines based on funding shortfalls.

Not once did he mention "deployment to [the] southern border" as "one of the many factors reducing the readiness of the Marine Corps."

This is not some esoteric political bullshi!t like what you posted. This is an actual reading of the link you provided, the actual letter shown.

You should READ the letter, not the commentary on the letter, so you won't make such a HUGE blunder again.

If your point is that moving funding will negatively impact some aspects of the military for which the funding was originally intended, that would be a great big huge "duh". If your point is what you stated, I would say attempt a remedial "reading for comprehension" course.

Last edited:

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Warns that deployment to southern border is one of many factors reducing the readiness of the Marine Corps.

This is not some esoteric political bullsh!t like what Kyle posted. This is another actual negative impact of the asinine policies of Donald Trump.

So as not to offend spitbubble's newfound intellectual sensibilities, this is just the letter from the commandant. She can go elsewhere to read commentary.

I am going to respond in a manner that assumes Transporter accurately reflecting the Commandant's opinion/statement....

If you have any sense of historical perspective and knowledge thereof - whether or not the Commandant actually made a "complaint" - you will find service chiefs are always spouting this stuff. Of course it will harm USMC readiness IF your belief that the USMC (or any other service) should be training and doing something else. And for the USMC - which sees itself as the President's international quick reaction force - this could be particularly galling as The Corps no doubt sees a border mission as beneath its dignity.

This may be true, but it's also somewhat irrelevant; the Armed Forces serve where they are told to serve irrespective of whether that turns out to be the battlefield of their choice. If this is the Commandant's position, then I get where he's coming from but I resist Transporter's desire to turn this into something bigger and more insidious than it actually is.

We've seen these sorts of comments since forever as generals/admirals/whatever seek to fight either the last war or the war they would like to fight or any combination thereof. But even when these folks are correct; it's still pretty much a "oh, well." You perform the missions the world gives you; which are not necessarily (rarely) the ones you want.

USMC Commandant's comments noted and filed. Thank you. Now ruck up and move out.

But while we're at it, let's also add stupid human engineering policies forced on the services, equipment buys unwanted by the services but forced on them by Congress, equipment buys needed by the services not funded by Congress, ridiculous service-generated pet projects that suck needed funds from other priorities, a generation of over-indulged pussies who are too fragile and too overweight & out-of-shape to serve so services are always running recruiting and retention deficits, critics - excuse me, experts - like this post's original author who have little understanding of actual world events or dynamics.... Perhaps these things are impacting USMC readiness more than the real-world experience its troops (excuse me, marines) can gain on the border...?

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
But while we're at it, let's also add stupid human engineering policies forced on the services, equipment buys unwanted by the services but forced on them by Congress, equipment buys needed by the services not funded by Congress, ridiculous service pet projects that suck needed funds from other priorities, a generation of over-indulged pussies who are too fragile and too overweight & out-of-shape to serve so services are always running recruiting and retention deficits, critics - excuse me, experts - like this post's original author who have little understanding of actual world events or dynamics.... Perhaps these things are impacting USMC readiness more than the real-world experience its troops (excuse me, marines) can gain on the border...?

You want a real problem (in the "spirit" of what I addressed above)...?

Retired U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Sean MacFarland was at an event in Washington this week to discuss his experience training Iraqi and Syrian militaries. But he ended up delivering a warning for the U.S. military: “Identity politics is a cancer.”

Thank you, Kyle, for the post. These are the real challenges, not a USMC deployment to the border.

--- End of line (MCP)

Reactions: BOP