Customer support people with really heavy accents

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
AYFKM???? Why on earth would they have someone who speaks English incoherently manning the support phones?

I called to pay my health insurance because the website was barfing up an error, and this guy gets on.....I caught maybe every 6th or 8th word. I'm not even sure what nationality he was. It wasn't Mexican because I speak Spanglish. I'm thinking Filipino? The accent was a mix of Asian and Latino; he probably said his name but I didn't catch it because it was in the middle of an indecipherable litany.

Anyway, it's annoying. That's why I like doing everything online or email, to avoid these people with their ESL accents, but some older person who likes to kick it old school - what are they supposed to do? My mom would have cussed him out and you'd be hearing about her on Fox News, but it's not his fault. Whoever hired him for that position is the one to blame.

Okay, I think my rant is over......

black dog

Free America
Far East Indian? Its cheaper so i'm told.
One exit down the highway used to be a Factory Outlet Mall in Daleville, IN that went out of business 20 yrs ago.
It in now thriving with dozens of companys help desks occupying all of the outlets stores.

black dog

Free America
There's a guy in my former neighborhood who owns two Teslas and a smart car. HE HAS A TRAILER HITCH ON ONE OF THE TESLAS!!!!

Anyway, I asked one of the other neighbors what his gig is. Well, here's a clue.

He owns and operates several answering services for the medical community. He employs around 100 DOMINICANS in the DR. The average wage is $4.00 an hour. Oh, and they work 10-12 hour shifts.

So, he charges probably $15.00 and hour per "worker" and pockets a hefty percentage.

Seems he pays a reasonable hourly wage, the Dominica minimum wage is $0.84 and the living wage is $2.83. these categories, appropriate to the Dominican Republic.

Doctors/ Dentist average 14,000 to 18,000 US dollars a year income.

UglyBear

Why on earth would they have someone who speaks English incoherently manning the support phones?
$$$
Some equation involving hourly rate, cost to business, multiplication factor of customer annoyance — if the answer is positive, they will do whatever they can.

Heck, if “a million monkeys typing on a million keyboards” applied to electronics, @Gilligan would have a warehouse full of illegals randomly soldering and writing code, and @stgislander would be unemployed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There's a guy in my former neighborhood who owns two Teslas and a smart car. HE HAS A TRAILER HITCH ON ONE OF THE TESLAS!!!!

Anyway, I asked one of the other neighbors what his gig is. Well, here's a clue.

He owns and operates several answering services for the medical community. He employs around 100 DOMINICANS in the DR. The average wage is $4.00 an hour. Oh, and they work 10-12 hour shifts.

So, he charges probably $15.00 and hour per "worker" and pockets a hefty percentage.

And what does he care if the callers can't understand them? I'm guessing the solution is to bitch to the medical companies, but they probably don't care either.

I'll be glad when we can take humans out of the equation altogether. Come on Skynet!