"cutting the cord"

hitchicken

Going cheap...

I'm not much of a TV person so this is just my opinion and the way I live...

Atlantic BB for internet is the best bet for most people in this area. Those lucky few who are along the route for the expanding FIOS still have a significant expense. I got the 100 MBS and am happy. No phone. No TV... with them. I wouldn't go satellite internet or 3G/4G internet (even if it were available in some areas) unless I had no other choice.

I stream with Amazon Prime @ $119/year and Netflix @ $7.99/month (1 stream @ a time, SD only). Unless you must have HD, stream SD. It uses less than 1/4 of the bandwidth and reduces/eliminates 'buffering' pauses. Also great shipping and other features. I have 3 old Roku streamers that work just fine, but with great new Smart TVs, I rely less and less on them. I also hardwired 2 of my TVs to the router. Better speed, less interruption.

The rest of my TV is OTA. I got a monster 'fringe' antenna @ 35 ft, rotor system, pre-amp & powered signal splitter to feed 4 TVs. I get typically get 60 to 70 channels with many being hi-def. The cost was $400 one time expense for everything, but it's free thereafter for as long as it lasts. All the Redskins/Ravens games.

Telephone is Tracfone. $9 to $10 /month. I'm not a big user so I've accumulated 2-3 of continuous days of usage. I have the latest model Android smartphone capable of nearly all Google Play apps. I use wifi for nearly all my data exchanges (no cost) and to download movies (Amazon or Netflix) and resort to an old MagicJack app for phone calls that's still valid if I want to make extensive calls. I forget MJ's price, but it was cheap. That may have changed.

That's the way I do it. Choose your own path and best of luck to you.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm not much of a TV person so this is just my opinion and the way I live...

The rest of my TV is OTA. I got a monster 'fringe' antenna @ 35 ft, rotor system, pre-amp & powered signal splitter to feed 4 TVs. I get typically get 60 to 70 channels with many being hi-def.

:) I sense a disconnect :)

hitchicken

:) I sense a disconnect :)

How so? This thread was "cutting the cord".

Oops... okay. I suddenly got what you mean. The disparity in the 2 comments.

OTA is a one time thing. I did it because it offered lots of bang for one time bucks. I should have said, "I'm not willing to pay big bucks over an extended time for TV." For that, I was willing to accept a loss of 'reality TV', the latest movies for something that was free. Yeah, you're right. Saying I wasn't a TV person was my error. Sorry.

Last edited:

Goldenhawk

I am so ready to drop my DSL for that reason, and because I want to get rid of my landline but can't. If I drop the landline,, I have to cancel my DSL too. And they recently bumped the cost with no added benefit or speeds.

If you get Atlantic (or Cox depending on your area), you can ditch Verizon landline and sign up with Ooma for voice-over-internet-protocol (VOIP). Uses the cable modem instead of the Verizon wires. You can port over your existing Verizon number so you don't even need to change phone numbers. Low monthly cost ($10) with unlimited long distance, even at their basic tier service. NoMoRoBo is included for blocking known robocall numbers. I've been with Ooma for five or six years and saved thousands over the basic Verizon rates. The Ooma box costs about $100 and is a one-time purchase. I've found it just as reliable as copper landlines, and since we have cell phones anyway, if it goes out briefly, who cares?

If you're interested, send me a PM and I can recommend you thru Ooma's "tell a friend" system - we'll both save some bucks.

If you get Atlantic (or Cox depending on your area), you can ditch Verizon landline and sign up with Ooma for voice-over-internet-protocol (VOIP). Uses the cable modem instead of the Verizon wires. You can port over your existing Verizon number so you don't even need to change phone numbers. Low monthly cost ($10) with unlimited long distance, even at their basic tier service. NoMoRoBo is included for blocking known robocall numbers. I've been with Ooma for five or six years and saved thousands over the basic Verizon rates. The Ooma box costs about $100 and is a one-time purchase. I've found it just as reliable as copper landlines, and since we have cell phones anyway, if it goes out briefly, who cares?

If you're interested, send me a PM and I can recommend you thru Ooma's "tell a friend" system - we'll both save some bucks.

No interest at all in a landline replacement, thanx anyway. My cell is all I need. The only thing my landline is used for is pizzing off the telemarketers.

Goldenhawk

No interest at all in a landline replacement, thanx anyway. My cell is all I need. The only thing my landline is used for is pizzing off the telemarketers.

Oh - whoops - misread your post that you want the internet but NOT the landline. My bad. But for anyone else, Ooma is a great option to Verizon.

Agee

The rate increase is $10 a month for the following year (and I believe each year afterwards) or you get a discount if you enroll in autopay (I didn't and may do so). Also installation was free although you will have to pay for any needed equipment. Already had the cable boxes and remotes so I only paid for their modem/router, which I replaced with my own in a few days.

You can keep your number and your current phone when you switch to StraightTalk. But not all phones are compatible so check first.

https://get.straighttalk.com/keep-your-own-phone/

You buy a service plan every month, then load in it your reserve. It will then kick in when your current service plan expires. No muss, no fuss.

Always helpful and TY!

Actually you can , I did it for two years. Only reason I got rid of DSL for the internet was it was always going out on me.

Thank-You!

New to the whole Fire Stick, Roku, etc. movie/TV streaming thing. Having only a total "5GB" data plan for the smart phone and internet is my issue. Streaming an HD movie is roughly 3GB/hour, so you can see how quickly I'd eat-up my data...Besides changing the pipe into the house, I guess I could download then watch?

Trying to save some cabbage here, as paying $100 a month for cable TV with limited content is getting old.

:peace:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
New to the whole Fire Stick, Roku, etc. movie/TV streaming thing. Having only a total "5GB" data plan for the smart phone and internet is my issue. Streaming an HD movie is roughly 3GB/hour, so you can see how quickly I'd eat-up my data...Besides changing the pipe into the house, I guess I could download then watch?

Trying to save some cabbage here, as paying $100 a month for cable TV with limited content is getting old.

Welcome to the 21st century, Mr. Inseam. :lol: :smoochy:

Like others have said, peeps around here are pretty much stuck with Atlantic BB for streaming, but my experience with them and their predecessor MetroCast has been positive for the most part. The Basic Plus cable channels package I have has at least have a few channels I watch (Food Network, NatGeo, History, etc.) but most of that you can get through your streaming service. I also have Amazon Prime which streams some great movies and TV shows but like the other perks of the service like free 2-day shipping, Kindle books and magazines, and MUSIC. My Roku has tons of free channels plus you can add paid subscriptions like Netflix. The beauty of streaming is what you want to watch is instantly available when YOU want to watch it.

Pete

Repete
St. Marys' has always and continues to have limited alternatives to the cable company and reliable speedy internet service. And now:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...soaring-internet-prices/ar-BBLX6Oj?li=BBnb7Kz

Recently received a Amazon "Fire Stick" and with only Verizon Wireless as a internet pipe (5gb phone & internet) no way I'll be able to stream live TV content. Looking for options, as paying $100 for cable "expanded basic" (junk TV) and $100 for phone and internet access, their has to be a cheaper route?
We cut the cord over a year ago. We have ABB for $79 a month. Netflix $10.99, Hulu Live $39.99 and HBO via Amazon Prime $10.99 and we have everything we want. I run it all through AppleTV so I can rent or buy movies on iTunes

PeoplesElbow

Always helpful and TY!

Thank-You!

I am sorry, I read that completely wrong. I saw Verizon and was thinking 5Mb DSL service. Tired eyes....

BernieP

Resident PIA
Learned that the new luxury townhouses in Wildewood (their words) are wired for Fios and it's available there.