Dance studio

greyhound

In Charles County I would say Ballet Arts Academy. If you have a little one start them off in the foundation class (ballet). In a school with classical training.

In Calvert and St. Mary's I recommend Abigail Francisco School of Classical Ballet.

Ha...just saw that this thread is from 2007

Last edited:

sparkyaclown

In Charles County I would say Ballet Arts Academy. If you have a little one start them off in the foundation class (ballet). In a school with classical training.

In Calvert and St. Mary's I recommend Abigail Francisco School of Classical Ballet.

Ha...just saw that this thread is from 2007

Avoid Ballet Arts Academy, that was the biggest waste of money ever. My wife took my daughter there for a year when she was working in Charles County. The recital at the end of the year equated to my daughter standing on stage for less than 2 minutes, while another child walked around her once in a circle. However we were treated to a good 20 minutes of the guy in charge of the school prancing around. He seems way more interested in himself than anyone else and the younger kids definitely get ignored.

We took her to a 1 week ballet summer camp at Bunny Bailey's and she learned more in that week than she had the entire year at BAA. We even got an actual 15 minute routine at the end of the week.

greyhound

If you are just looking for your child to perform a lot, a classical ballet school will not fit that bill. Ballet schools concentrate on teaching technique. Making sure a dancer is well trained (for the childs age) before they perform is normal. Being on a stage for 2 minutes is a lot of time if the student is young. 3 to 10 years old, even older depending on the maturity and technique level.

I cannot speak for the school in Waldorf as I do not have a dancer that has trained there. But I can let you know in great length what is proper training.

sparkyaclown

If you are just looking for your child to perform a lot, a classical ballet school will not fit that bill. Ballet schools concentrate on teaching technique. Making sure a dancer is well trained (for the childs age) before they perform is normal. Being on a stage for 2 minutes is a lot of time if the student is young. 3 to 10 years old, even older depending on the maturity and technique level.

I cannot speak for the school in Waldorf as I do not have a dancer that has trained there. But I can let you know in great length what is proper training.

We enrolled her at Ballet Calliente last year and while she had a short 5 minute performance, there was an actual dance. It wasn't very technical, but it involved more than just standing stationary and I was very impressed with it. The only reason it was 5 minutes had more to do with the number of kids at her level than the actual performance as it had been choreographed so that every child was in the front row once. As a parent I go to the performances to see my child and to a lesser extent the other children perform. I do not go to them to listen to an instructor talk about all of his personal accomplishments, none of them relating to actually teaching and spend most of the time watching him dance. In my opinion, he is more concerned with promoting himself than he is in actually teaching anyone. Ballet Calliente's recital overall made the BAA one look like a joke. It was very well choreographed and entertaining. My experience between these 2 schools has been like night and day, plus my daughter really enjoys going to class now.

greyhound

It's good that you have found a place that you are more comfortable with. I went to see the show as well. It was very cute.

Performance season has already started for me. I'm making a costume mock up right now for a ballet and choreographers have already met to map out the show. Now sometime today I need to contact 4 of our Professionals that live all over the US.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
We enrolled her at Ballet Calliente last year and while she had a short 5 minute performance, there was an actual dance. It wasn't very technical, but it involved more than just standing stationary and I was very impressed with it. The only reason it was 5 minutes had more to do with the number of kids at her level than the actual performance as it had been choreographed so that every child was in the front row once. As a parent I go to the performances to see my child and to a lesser extent the other children perform. I do not go to them to listen to an instructor talk about all of his personal accomplishments, none of them relating to actually teaching and spend most of the time watching him dance. In my opinion, he is more concerned with promoting himself than he is in actually teaching anyone. Ballet Calliente's recital overall made the BAA one look like a joke. It was very well choreographed and entertaining. My experience between these 2 schools has been like night and day, plus my daughter really enjoys going to class now.

Ballet caliente is the bestest :diva:

greyhound

The link below is to the school that in my opinion is your best bet for dance training. From the youngest dancer to those wanting a professional career. The school is very well respected in the ballet world and known around the country for the instruction given to students. Many graduates of the program are now professional dancers.

Abigail Francisco School of Classical Ballet

The students receive artistic scholarships on a regular basis to train with companies all over the US.