Dap!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
...'dark' side.

It seems reasonable to me that Obama will be our next president. As he will have accomplished that via the same process that gave us Reagan and Carter and everyone else, I'm good with that. I wasn't happy with Clinton, but, he did win. I can't expect my political opponents to ever accept the validity of my guys if I won't accept theirs. That doesn't mean they will, but I choose to not be as vitriolic as them which is why, as a conservative, I am usually happier than they are; I expect them to behave poorly or like kids.

Our system works. Messy as it is, it works.

Yes, it does. And when and if he becomes president - I'll be there working my tail off to get him out of there asap, as well as getting as many republican candidates elected to congress as I can.

And hey - I'm just posting stuff I read as I go through my normal daily reading site. There was a lot of stuff today that I thought was noteworthy. As always, your mileage may vary. I thought because while Obama may be all that and a bag of chips to the young people, (or other people) this kind of thing might turn off a great majority of people in the flyover section of the country. And they do vote.

Not to mention it was all good for the goose for the Dems to mention ad nauseum anything Dubya did.

B

Bruzilla

Be happy, it keeps people focused off of Larry's post directly before yours here.

As for me, I've done this for a long time, too. And I'm about as rural midwest, balding, aging white guy as you get. :lol:

Good point! Do you think Obama and his campaign are sitting around thinking "what stupid issue can we toss to the Republicans today to keep them distracted from the real issues?"

Bann

PREMO Member
Good point! Do you think Obama and his campaign are sitting around thinking "what stupid issue can we toss to the Republicans today to keep them distracted from the real issues?"

Guess you got curious about it since you're posting in the thread. :whistle:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I think...

I thought because while Obama may be all that and a bag of chips to the young people, (or other people) this kind of thing might turn off a great majority of people in the flyover section of the country. And they do vote.

Not to mention it was all good for the goose for the Dems to mention ad nauseum anything Dubya did.

...Obama will be a mistake as President. However, I didn't think W would be. Yet, I think has turned out to be just awful and I am sure he has betrayed conservative principles of government and that got us where we are. That leaves me in a position of being sad for the country that we're going to have to go through this because of the failures of my side. How do we avoid that? John McCain is not going to, based on his record, be what we need.

I'm just beaten down as to what has become of us.

Bann

PREMO Member
...Obama will be a mistake as President. However, I didn't think W would be. Yet, I think has turned out to be just awful and I am sure he has betrayed conservative principles of government and that got us where we are. That leaves me in a position of being sad for the country that we're going to have to go through this because of the failures of my side. How do we avoid that? John McCain is not going to, based on his record, be what we need.

Aww. I really respect your views and look forward to reading them (and the views of some others!) here in the forums.

I just have a different outlook of what Bush has done in his 2 terms, what it means to me, the future of the country, etc. I don't agree with everything in the past 8 years that our Republican leaders have done. But I have a few core issues that I look at in particular and when I look back overall I don't see as negative a picture as some do. Our country is made up of many people, not just one group. I don't think any president can please all the people all the time. Overall, in totality - I think GW Bush is one of the best presidents we've ever had and thank God every day he was president on 9-11. I'm not a pollyanna (ok, maybe I am!) but I really do feel like this. :shrug: And he's had to make a lot of decisions knowing what he had to work with in the congress - with both sides of the aisle.

That said - I don't agree that Obama or Clinton (or anyone else the Dems have to offer) will be the answer in the next 4 years either. However, if the country votes the Democratic Party candidate (whomever he or she may be) for president, I'll accept it. I won't like it and will work hard to change it, but I still think the people of this country will stand up for what's right in the long run. I don't feel the Dems will win in November, but that's just me.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's...

. I don't feel the Dems will win in November, but that's just me.

...the fascinating part of this years race! I can make a case for Obama winning easy. I can make a case for him having no chance. Hell, I can still see how Hillary may yet get the nod at the convention if Obama, now that he has the nomination, gives Dems seriously cold feet. I can see McCain winning. I can see him losing by a landslide.

I appreciate your thoughts. It's gonna be interesting, that's for sure!

:buddies:

This_person

No, I think they're just inexperienced and foolish, and stuff keeps happening.

I think the issues will come out shortly enough. A seasoned, reasoned candidate like McCain understands a huge portion of the voting block has the attention span of a gnat, so there's little point in bringing up too many issues too soon, as they'll be forgotten by Nov.

B

Bruzilla

Have you looked at Barr? When one realizes that Obama will not be good as president, and McCain won't be any better, then the obvious choice is Bob Barr. This is going to be a two-party election: Republocrats vs. Libertarians.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I still...

Have you looked at Barr? When one realizes that Obama will not be good as president, and McCain won't be any better, then the obvious choice is Bob Barr. This is going to be a two-party election: Republocrats vs. Libertarians.

...like Ron Paul. Apparently, Barr has some rather rank hypocrisy going on about abortion.

B

Bruzilla

No, I think they're just inexperienced and foolish, and stuff keeps happening.

I think the issues will come out shortly enough. A seasoned, reasoned candidate like McCain understands a huge portion of the voting block has the attention span of a gnat, so there's little point in bringing up too many issues too soon, as they'll be forgotten by Nov.

You could be right, but I think the problem is McCain has the same stance on most issues. If the issue is experience, McCain has more experience with the military, but what else has he got? He spent a lot of time in the House and Senate, but didn't really accomplish anything until the past few years. And even he has admitted he's weak on economic experience... the number one issue right now. As for immigration, gun control, appointing judges, the environment, energy, etc., McCain has a record that's about the same as Obama's. McCain is trying hard to re-create himself as a conservative, but his record still is what it is, and if he attacks on the issues he's going to get it tossed right back in his face.

This_person

Where Barr is more of a conservative than liberal, a vote for Barr (who will NOT be elected) is a vote robbed from McCain (who has a chance to be elected). Like Perot sharing the conservative votes with Bush 41, and somewhat (though not as much) with Dole, ensuring a Clinton "victory" of 40 something percent of the popular vote (yes, 50%+ voted AGAINST Bill Clinton, both times), you seem bent on a Barry victory so badly that you'll use whatever means to distract people from voting the least bad candidate.

Barr has some interestingly conservative thoughts, and some crazy idiotic thoughts. However, he won't be elected.

This_person

You could be right, but I think the problem is McCain has the same stance on most issues. If the issue is experience, McCain has more experience with the military, but what else has he got? He spent a lot of time in the House and Senate, but didn't really accomplish anything until the past few years. And even he has admitted he's weak on economic experience... the number one issue right now. As for immigration, gun control, appointing judges, the environment, energy, etc., McCain has a record that's about the same as Obama's. McCain is trying hard to re-create himself as a conservative, but his record still is what it is, and if he attacks on the issues he's going to get it tossed right back in his face.
Love to see you compare and contrast bills passed by the Senate to back that up.

Since the total of Barry's leadership has been to get a Post Office named, I know you can't.

So, please provide for me some votes in the Senate that would back up that assertion.

B

Bruzilla

Where Barr is more of a conservative than liberal, a vote for Barr (who will NOT be elected) is a vote robbed from McCain (who has a chance to be elected). Like Perot sharing the conservative votes with Bush 41, and somewhat (though not as much) with Dole, ensuring a Clinton "victory" of 40 something percent of the popular vote (yes, 50%+ voted AGAINST Bill Clinton, both times), you seem bent on a Barry victory so badly that you'll use whatever means to distract people from voting the least bad candidate.

Barr has some interestingly conservative thoughts, and some crazy idiotic thoughts. However, he won't be elected.

The general campaign has barely started and McCain has already dropped six points against Obama. The long Dem campaign has flushed out most all of the negatives about Obama while McCain has gotten a free pass while the MSM was obsessed with the Clinton/Obama show. What do you think is going to happen when the media spotlight shifts to McCain and all his dirty laundry?

Also, McCain is still at only about 25% of the funds that GWB raised by this point. And, most of the money that McCain is bringing in is coming from PACs. There just isn't much support for McCain, and most people are recognizing that.

McCain has zero chance of winning. Zero. He's going to go down like McGovern and Mondale because he's going to split the center with Obama and the Right isn't going to support him. Barr stands an excellent chance of winning if he picks up the core Republicans and enough of the center.

B

Bruzilla

Love to see you compare and contrast bills passed by the Senate to back that up.

Since the total of Barry's leadership has been to get a Post Office named, I know you can't.

So, please provide for me some votes in the Senate that would back up that assertion.

Who needs bills? Just look at their stated positions:

Both Obama and McCain voted against more drilling or refineries, so that's a dead issue.

Both have said they believe in the 2nd Ammendment, but think that "common sense" gun laws are needed, so that's another dead issue.

Both have called for open borders and amnesty for illegal immigrants.

Both have opposed the Bush tax cuts.

Obama says he'll appoint "activist" judges, McCain rushed out and formed the Gang of 14 to prevent the appointment of strict constructionist judges.

Both are saying global warming is man made, and are supporting legislation to "fix" it.

The only area they disagree about is Iraq.

This_person

Who needs bills? Just look at their stated positions:

Both Obama and McCain voted against more drilling or refineries, so that's a dead issue.

Both have said they believe in the 2nd Ammendment, but think that "common sense" gun laws are needed, so that's another dead issue.

Both have called for open borders and amnesty for illegal immigrants.

Both have opposed the Bush tax cuts.

Obama says he'll appoint "activist" judges, McCain rushed out and formed the Gang of 14 to prevent the appointment of strict constructionist judges.

Both are saying global warming is man made, and are supporting legislation to "fix" it.

The only area they disagree about is Iraq.
You're clearly reading different stated positions than I am, or are on each of their websites under "Issues" tab.