Darts World Championship

Grumpy

Used to throw in a lot of dart leagues and tournaments back in the 70s/80s and was fairly decent, won a bit of money in tourneys. But, have been watching the world championship from England via youtube over the past few days and these guys are unbelievable. Have seen more than a dozen 170 finishes (trip 20, trip 20, bull) 3 dart outs from over 100 are commonplace. :lol: Know this is probably greek to most or 'what the hell is darts'...but I found it impressive.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Used to throw in a lot of dart leagues and tournaments back in the 70s/80s

same here...did you throw for a team here in the county? I was a proud member of the T's Cove "B" team. Our team slogan was: "We got knocked out of last place in the league once...but we clawed our way back". Tommy Anderson loved us anyway.

Some of the best times and best people ever,,,,,and so many of them gone now. :(

Grumpy

...did you throw for a team here in the county?
I threw out of 2 different bars in PG (PGI and Village Pub), The league was WADA (wash area darting assoc), traveled into DC, upper Montgomery county, PG and VA in the league we were in. Threw in various tourneys in Bmore, Philly, Cleveland and Norfolk. Came in 3rd in one tourney for $400(got beat in semi's when I had gotten to 32 and opponent took out a 152..grrr) Made more money with a buddy at tourneys running a blackjack game in our hotel room..:lol:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I got back into darts last winter (2020) after a 20+ year hiatus. Shooting out of Anderson's now but shot out of OCI and Monk's Inn when I was younger.

Grumpy

I got back into darts last winter (2020) after a 20+ year hiatus. Shooting out of Anderson's now but shot out of OCI and Monk's Inn when I was younger.
I've thought about it but back in the day, it was all about the party for me, being half way decent was secondary. My desire for partying is pretty much over..:lol: Great memories,tho :)

Get blown away by watching a couple minutes of this..(don't let Mr Wright turn you off..:lol:)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When I worked at the bar in PA this gal that used to come in would go, "Dee Jay! Go put your finger on the board!" and she'd hit right there.

I'm in awe of people who can throw darts because I can't and it seems impossible to me. I don't even want to try axe throwing because bad things might happen.

Grumpy

One of the top 5 dart throwers I ever saw (man or woman) was from PA, Kathy Kopovich, spelling could be wrong and she was 15 or 16 at the time. When they (family) were in the DC area for a weekend tourney, I ran around to different dart bars with her older sister.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was never very good but enjoyed playing for the T's Cove "B" team. I had to quit due to pain.....I developed something resembling tennis elbow. Stop throwing....goes away. Start again...comes back. So no more darts for me except very occasionally on the board in the shop.

jrt_ms1995

I had to quit due to pain.....I developed something resembling tennis elbow. Stop throwing....goes away. Start again...comes back. So no more darts for me except very occasionally on the board in the shop.
Should have worked more on your strength back then; more 12-oz curls with your throwing arm would have resolved the problem! :buddies:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Should have worked more on your strength back then; more 12-oz curls with your throwing arm would have resolved the problem! :buddies:

I'll have you know that we trained very hard to improve our game.

I remember one time....I think we were at ABC, or it might have been St. Leonard...anyway, one of "star performers" was nearly passed out and the opposing team asked if we wanted to just forfeit that game and call it a night. "Hell no" was our response. Two of us held our incapacitated team member in a vertical position, toe on the line and facing the dart board. A third one of us (me) put a dart in his hand, lifted his arm and "threw" it at the dart board. Score: wall (several times), baseboard (at least once) and the floor (random hits).

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
One of the top 5 dart throwers I ever saw (man or woman) was from PA, Kathy Kopovich, spelling could be wrong and she was 15 or 16 at the time. When they (family) were in the DC area for a weekend tourney, I ran around to different dart bars with her older sister.
Kathy Karpowich. She was an amazing shooter and was really big into darts in the 80s. I remember the Kathy's - Karpowich and Maloney - and they were something to watch. I haven't shot competitively in many years so I don't know who is number one.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Kathy Parpowich. She was an amazing shooter and was really big into darts in the 80s. I remember the Kathy's - Parpowich and Maloney - and they were something to watch. I haven't shot competitively in many years so I don't know who is number one.
That's how we met in the dirt world! :lol:

Grumpy

Kathy Karpowich. She was an amazing shooter and was really big into darts in the 80s. I remember the Kathy's - Parpowich and Maloney - and they were something to watch. I haven't shot competitively in many years so I don't know who is number one.
Fixed...

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I never practiced when I was a young buck shooter but now I'm shooting anywhere from 500- 1000 darts per practice session in the basement.