DC Metro not enforcing rules at this time

TCROW

I think WMATA has serious operational issues coupled with the obvious low ridership likely caused by crap infrastructure.
I am familiar with the 'induced demand' ideology, I just dont think they have good data. The data they are lacking is what would have happened had the studied road expansions not happened.

I do know that both the Wilson Bridge and the express lanes on the beltway in VA have reduced the delays along those stretches of highway and have not been eliminated by 'induced demand' as the theorists would want you to believe.

The effects from induced demand lag quite a bit. Parts of Alexandria (the outskirts of the Old Town core) are exploding and will continue to do so as Amazon settlement comes into fruition and they raze more ghettos for rich tech bros. There is plenty of good data on this phenomenon.

Locally in Chas. County I recall blood promises that the Rosewick Rd. extension wouldn’t beget development along that corridor. It would remain a bypass of 301 to get from LaPlata to Waldorf. I don’t recall when I last travelled that route, but it ain’t much of a shortcut any longer.

officeguy

Locally in Chas. County I recall blood promises that the Rosewick Rd. extension wouldn’t beget development along that corridor. It would remain a bypass of 301 to get from LaPlata to Waldorf. I don’t recall when I last travelled that route, but it ain’t much of a shortcut any longer.

Rosewick was built at the behest of the St Charles companies and the other large landowners who own the large development tracts to the left and right of it. It's even in the counties master plan that this area was slated for heavy development. Not sure who told you that, but that road was specifically built as a source of high density development in the central portion of the county.

PeoplesElbow

Haven't there been studies that indicate that if you add the ability to handle more traffic, the volume will quickly fill up again because more people will move into the area?
So what about the places that don't have heavy traffic ever, do people simply not know that traffic is light so they should move there?

TCROW

Rosewick was built at the behest of the St Charles companies and the other large landowners who own the large development tracts to the left and right of it. It's even in the counties master plan that this area was slated for heavy development. Not sure who told you that, but that road was specifically built as a source of high density development in the central portion of the county.

Good to know. Some “water activist” who thought the sky was falling in light of all the development bent my ear about it one time. I think she was using dwindling water supplies as an argument to keep development away from her precious South 40. Never gave it much thought since. But thanks for the info.