DC/SOMD Commute

xobxdoc

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of leaving Union Station at 4PM and drive to Port Republic. I had to drop to wife off for a trip. My normal commute is 8 miles to work. It's a bad day for me when I catch a red light at Ball Rd. I was slightly tense when I finally got home yesterday at 5:50

glhs837

Power with Control
Every now and then, I will extend my seven mile, eight minute commute all the way up to Dunkin Donuts, then come back south with the great unwashed masses as they struggle to get onto base..........Even on the bike, it's a pain.......

1stGenSMIB

huntr1, That is not the way to live life...at least you are smart enough to live down here.

Washington D.C. sucks the life out of otherwise vibrant, normal people until you shrivel up and become a shell of your former self. I wasn't letting it happen to me.

I did the commute from Great Mills to L'Enfant Plaza for exactly 6 months during one winter...that was enough. I have returned to my 4 mile commute, but not from Great Mills. My only issue now is avoiding some guy on a motorcycle coming in and out of Dunkin Donuts. (glhs, I don't know you, that was a joke.)

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Been doing the Southern Calvert Co to Alexandria, VA commute for 17 years now. I go into work before dawn and leave for home before 2pm. Traffic is nothing at those times of day. A few times, when my husband is away on travel, I have had to get the kids to school and then drove in during "normal rush hour". I find it easier on my mental health to just take the day off when that happens. I can't understand how people can sit in traffic jams on a daily basis without going mad. :lol:

glhs837

Power with Control
huntr1, That is not the way to live life...at least you are smart enough to live down here.

Washington D.C. sucks the life out of otherwise vibrant, normal people until you shrivel up and become a shell of your former self. I wasn't letting it happen to me.

I did the commute from Great Mills to L'Enfant Plaza for exactly 6 months during one winter...that was enough. I have returned to my 4 mile commute, but not from Great Mills. My only issue now is avoiding some guy on a motorcycle coming in and out of Dunkin Donuts. (glhs, I don't know you, that was a joke.)

Love using the drive-thru on the bike :)

Hijinx

I used to commute before I retired. Yesterday I had to go to the other side of Georgetown. I did not realize how much worse thing have gotten.

Et. 5 is totally worn out , potholes and worn road so bad it almost beat the tires off my car, then I go into Washington--don't they ever repave?
Holes, ruts, bad worn out pavement and people tearing though it like they have no respect for their vehicles at all. I was driving slow because last time I went to DC a traffic camera cost me $100 bucks plus the holes were so bad I didn't want to completely rip the undercarriage apart, and people were driving like they were insane.
I saw one guy cross three lanes of traffic , and back within 1,000 feet, cutting off cars like they weren't there.

Traffic was moving at a snails pace in most places and when the road opend up the holes were so bad , well it was a horrible dat of driving. and I am glad I don'e have to do it every day. By the way I am told that Rt. 4 is even worse torn up than Rt. 5.

DC is bad enough but Mr. Owe Malley should stop stealing highway funds and fixe Maryland's roads.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I used to commute before I retired. Yesterday I had to go to the other side of Georgetown. I did not realize how much worse thing have gotten.

Et. 5 is totally worn out , potholes and worn road so bad it almost beat the tires off my car, then I go into Washington--don't they ever repave?

People keep saying it’s because of the harsh winter that the roads are in such disrepair… Rt 4 has been repaved in Ann Arundel and Calvert almost all the way down to Prince Frederick and is a dream to drive on. The second you enter into PG County the road is one continuous pothole repair with blown repairs everywhere. It’s been this way for years and gotten worse every year. The only thing I can think of is PG seems to have poor highway management.

Just as a note though... they have prepared much of that section of 4 for repaving. It's about time.

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
My wife is working on year 10 of commuting from LaPlata to Tyson's. 60 miles each way. It used to bother her, but she's since found a number of back roads to take, that while they increase the distance, at least keep her moving the entire time. And now that they've opened the hot lanes, she can get to work in around an hour, which, given the distance, seems pretty reasonable.

I wish they would do something about all the lights on 210 though. If they could get them properly synchronized, or better yet, bypassed like the north end of 5, it would really cut down on the commute time for a lot of people.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I wish they would do something about all the lights on 210 though. If they could get them properly synchronized, or better yet, bypassed like the north end of 5, it would really cut down on the commute time for a lot of people.

it was proposed in the lat 90's to do the same thing to 210 they did to RT 5 .... from Swan Creek up - over passes all the way to 295

slowlane

Yes - the state already converted the Route 210/ Oxon Hill Road intersection into an interchange, several years ago.

They plan to build an interchange next at the Route 210/Kerby Hill/Livingston intersection at a cost of at least $146 million. It's taken a very long time to allocate money to start construction.

Eventually, building interchanges at the remaining 5 intersections
Palmer/Livingston Roads,
Old Fort Road North,
Fort Wash Road,
Livingston/Swan Creek Roads
Old Fort Road South
will cost at least another $500 million on top of the first $146+ million.

(according to a 2011 article in the Gazette newspaper).
[

Last edited:

wubbles

Damn, and I get annoyed when I hit all 4 lights red on the way to or from work. I don't think I'll ever be able to adjust after having a 15 min commute for 9 yrs.

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
it was proposed in the lat 90's to do the same thing to 210 they did to RT 5 .... from Swan Creek up - over passes all the way to 295

I wish they'd just get on with it. More and more people keep moving down here, it's time to upgrade the infrastructure (and schools).

glhs837

Power with Control
Damn, and I get annoyed when I hit all 4 lights red on the way to or from work. I don't think I'll ever be able to adjust after having a 15 min commute for 9 yrs.

Damn, you have four times as many as I do, you poor SOB :)

Works for us. Close to family, close to friends, housing cheap enough to make it on one salary. Any closer to my office and that would not have been the case.

I'm home by 5:00-6:00 most every night.

sockgirl77

110 mile round trip here. The quiet is peaceful. The driving makes me tired. After only 2 years of it, I am soooooo over it.

acommondisaster

55 miles one way for me; thank goodness I do it against traffic; working nights. Until recently, my husband had an 84 mile one way commute to Gaithersburg. I'm sure it exacerbated his back problems.

When the kids were little, I considered my commute my "me" time, when there were no demands on me. I used it to clear my head, shirk off the day of work and sing. No one asking me questions, no one wanting me to break up sibling arguments. I think it's the only way I stayed sane, driving through DC, Bethesda and the Wilson Bridge during the worst traffic times of the day. Every day when I leave for work, and every day when I leave to go home, I think I cant do it another day. I can't wait to stop this crazy commute.

officeguy

A little bird in the state highway administration told me that april next year, work will start on an overpass at Kerby hill rd. Wilson bridge drive will turn into a right turn only. Funding for that part seems to be in place, the other overpasses up to Swann creek are a couple of years off.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I wish they'd just get on with it. More and more people keep moving down here, it's time to upgrade the infrastructure (and schools).

They can't because Owe'Malley and his cronies raided the transportation fund to subsidize college tuition for illegals and other pet projects. It's a shame too because interchanging 210 could shave off 1/2 to an hour of commute time every day!