Dci

LordStanley

I know nothing
Im going to band geek it out right now... I just stumbled across the Drum Corps International on EPSN HD tonight... Holy Crap!!!! When did DCI hit the big time. It was always hard to find the finials on TV. And when it was, it was on some PBS channel.

Man, it brought back some great memories of my drumline days. Last time I marched was in 93. I cant believe the licks the drummers are playing today. Thats some crazy stuff. I still keep up my chops, but those kids are freaking fantastic.

Keep it up boys and girls... You make us ex band geeks proud!

smoothmarine187

LordStanley said:
Im going to band geek it out right now... I just stumbled across the Drum Corps International on EPSN HD tonight... Holy Crap!!!! When did DCI hit the big time. It was always hard to find the finials on TV. And when it was, it was on some PBS channel.

Man, it brought back some great memories of my drumline days. Last time I marched was in 93. I cant believe the licks the drummers are playing today. Thats some crazy stuff. I still keep up my chops, but those kids are freaking fantastic.

Alright, I'm kicking you out of my forum

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
LordStanley said:

I love the drumline!! I really want to go see when they do their big shows up in DC I just never seem to know until after the fact

MMDad

Lem Putt
LordStanley said:

:howdy: SCV 82-83, Blue Devils 84 here!

:nerd:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
mv_princess said:
I love the drumline!!
:yeahthat: In the evenings I can hear the local University's drumline practicing from my backyard. :yay: That is, I'm in my backyard, not the drumline. :lol:

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Nickel said:
:yeahthat: In the evenings I can hear the local University's drumline practicing from my backyard. :yay: That is, I'm in my backyard, not the drumline. :lol:
:lol: There used to be a kid down the street from me that used to play on the drum line. Every night I would sit out front and listen to him. It was the greatest!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
mv_princess said:
:lol: There used to be a kid down the street from me that used to play on the drum line. Every night I would sit out front and listen to him. It was the greatest!
I'm sure it's much more pleasant than listening to a five year old drum on any flat surface he can find. :jameo::lmao:

Le Monstre

pstpst laurennnn
i'm actually in Patuxent High's drum line. : ) we're working on SCV Double Beat right now. i don't know, it's not to hard for me, there's about 2 measures that screw me up, but i think i finally got it down today in 2nd period.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Just not the same as a Div I 0r II drumcorps.. these kids PAY to be in the corps (12 - 21 years old), some up to 10 - 12k a YEAR to participate, and you've never met kids that work as hard as they do.

My daughter was in a Div III corps and i got to drive the bus for them for one summer.. If they weren't sleeping, eating, or driving to the next show they were on the field parcticing. 2 AM.. practice.. 110 degree heat.. practice (we sat on the sideline with firehoses to wet them down while they were practicing).. they'd do a show, and right to the practice field..

These guys slept MAYBE 6 hours a day, and if they spent any time on the bus that counted towards the 6 hours.

and man do they travel..

My daughter was 12/13 at the time, and she travelled throughout Canada, and all of the Eastern Seaboard out to Ohio.. luckily she was in a drumcorps that knew how to raise money and it didn't cost us a dime.. and they provided with her with a brand new mellophone..

LordStanley

I know nothing
i'm actually in Patuxent High's drum line. : ) we're working on SCV Double Beat right now. i don't know, it's not to hard for me, there's about 2 measures that screw me up, but i think i finally got it down today in 2nd period.

We used alot of SCV excercises when I was in high school.

In 92 we basicly took the drum corps entire field show of Carmen that they did in 90 or 91, played it note for note. Wasnt hard to win TOB that year:whistle:

Which version of double beat are you playing?

LordStanley

I know nothing
Just not the same as a Div I 0r II drumcorps.. these kids PAY to be in the corps (12 - 21 years old), some up to 10 - 12k a YEAR to participate, and you've never met kids that work as hard as they do.

My daughter was in a Div III corps and i got to drive the bus for them for one summer.. If they weren't sleeping, eating, or driving to the next show they were on the field parcticing. 2 AM.. practice.. 110 degree heat.. practice (we sat on the sideline with firehoses to wet them down while they were practicing).. they'd do a show, and right to the practice field..

These guys slept MAYBE 6 hours a day, and if they spent any time on the bus that counted towards the 6 hours.

and man do they travel..

My daughter was 12/13 at the time, and she travelled throughout Canada, and all of the Eastern Seaboard out to Ohio.. luckily she was in a drumcorps that knew how to raise money and it didn't cost us a dime.. and they provided with her with a brand new mellophone..

Good for her!!!! Its an experience she will never forget

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You have no idea how much that makes me want to do dci.
It's way too expensive, though. I'll probably stick with a college band... : /

Do your research, and don't set your sights TOO high.. You can probably find a DIV III corps that won't charge a dime, or be inexpensive to do.. A LOT of them have ways to work ooout your fees.. My daughter had to put in so many hours at the Bingo Games and other fundraisers during the year.

They provided a horn instructor, the horn, marching coaches.. Probably 15 adults involved just in the coaching aspect.. not to include us drivers, cooks, chaperones etc..

You'll work your tail off, but the first show you do, you'll think you are going to explode!

Find and contact them now, most corps are already working on next years shows.