Dear 97.7 The Rocket owners...

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
You guys bitched when it was Classic Rock. You bitched when it was Top 40. You bitched when it was contemporary rock. You bitched when it was active rock. You bitched when it was Classic Rock again. You're now bitching that it's back to active rock.

Same song, new year.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
WMAL for the morning commute and either The Rocket and Big 100 for the trip home. I can't stomach either rock station's morning "talent" and canned intros/fill-ins or whatever you call that crap. I always keep a Scorpions CD in, just in case I want to hear the shear awesomeness of Rudolf and Klaus.

DEEKAYPEE8569

WMAL for the morning commute and either The Rocket and Big 100 for the trip home. I can't stomach either rock station's morning "talent" and canned intros/fill-ins or whatever you call that crap. I always keep a Scorpions CD in, just in case I want to hear the shear awesomeness of Rudolf and Klaus.
That's a GREAT idea! :yay:

Kinnakeet

:bawl: 1987 is considered "oldies rock"
1987 oldie rock I disagree but not long after that rock sucked and still does thats why I have an Ipod loaded with music Like 1 post said some bands have about 20+ albums why play the same 2-3 songs from all of them

mitzi

31 years ago so...... YEP!

Think of it this way in comparison. When Van Halen was at the height of their popularity, it would be like tuning the radio to a "Classic Rock" station and hearing nothing but Elvis, Buddy Holly, and Jerry Lee Lewis!

Yes, the oldies station 104.1 in the early 80s. It was all my Mom would listen to. :jameo: She was p*ssed when they changed their format (to what I don't remember). I'm going out in a little while. My guess for the radio will be either Pink Floyd, Steve Miller or Dream On for the 10,000th time. Aerosmith did some good stuff in the 80s, they never play it. The list could go on and one. Ok, done with my b*tching for now.

Grumpy

:lol: I remember in the late 60s WMOD was the oldies station in the DC area...oldies = 55 through 63(prior to the Beatles).

nelsonmuntz

Please, please, please... for the love of all that is holy and good in this world... do SOMETHING with your station!

For the last 6 months to a year, The Rocket has been absolutely terrible! You have ZERO on-air talent. The music is extremely tiresome. You no longer sponsor local events or have give-aways or sponsor local rock concerts. ALL of your programming is music made prior to 1987 (despite frequently announcing that you cover more recent music) and you seem to have problems keeping talent on the air other than the same old people doing the same old schtick!

Perhaps if you loosened up and offered a bit more 'recent' musical choices (say.. anything between 1987 and 2005 would be nice to start with) then you wouldn't be in the crappy rut that you have been in ever since your last afternoon DJ committed career suicide.

Personally, I am getting sick of the programming and I have heard several people say the same. If Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N Roses is as edgy and new (released in.... 1987) as you will get then I am sad to say that you are FAR behind the times for a Classic Rock station. That is actually Oldies Rock.

Why don't you do what your Virgina sister station (The Rock) does and program some more recent music? It might help.

- a Soon-to-Be FORMER loyal listener.

I only listen at work,(satellite, subscriber since 2000) what kills me is the commercials. They play the same 3 every break, by the end of my shift I can recite them verbatim!

rkrider

You guys bitched when it was Classic Rock. You bitched when it was Top 40. You bitched when it was contemporary rock. You bitched when it was active rock. You bitched when it was Classic Rock again. You're now bitching that it's back to active rock.

Same song, new year.

Yep

MiddleGround

Same song, new year.

Granted I am not a life-long SOMD resident like some of you are BUT, when in the HELL was 97.7 EVER a contemporary rock, active rock, or any other rock other than "classic rock" station??!! From what I remember of the recent past, it turned to more progressive rock (stuff from the mid-90's to today) for about 10 minutes back a few years ago.

Other than that, it has been the same sh!t before and after. Nothing but "classic rock" from the 60's to 1987.

On a funny side note. I do like the station interrupts that say "From Nirvana to Fleetwood Mac...." When in God's name do they EVER play Nirvana?? :lmao:

warneckutz

Granted I am not a life-long SOMD resident like some of you are BUT,

On a funny side note. I do like the station interrupts that say "From Nirvana to Fleetwood Mac...." When in God's name do they EVER play Nirvana?? :lmao:

:lmao:

Their Jurassic rock station is horrible... I think if they played some Slipknot, maybe even some Metallica, most of the listeners would have a coronary.

warneckutz

LMAO! I don't listen to the station enough, I guess....I like what they play the times I do have 'em on, which is only when I'm in my old beater Toyota 4x4, because its only got the radio.

It's "background noise", I suppose. I'm a Pandora/iTunes listener... I'm just trying to find the modern day Metallica now.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Problem is, unless you're committed to listening to the 98.3 dribble or the 101.1 static, you're stuck with 97.7 and it surely beats the 98.3 competition (not saying much). Typically a Sirius listener until my last purchased car (Sirius plays through Apple Car Play and it sucked), I find my ears craving for music I can really sink my teeth into. I miss the good ol' days when we had options.

MiddleGround

I think if they played some Slipknot, maybe even some Metallica, most of the listeners would have a coronary.

They already did. That is exactly what the douchebag Blakjak was playing and apparently (through good sources) the station owner/manager was pizzed because they didn't like the 'format' he was playing.

Personally, I do not mind the stuff they play but for Christ's sake... they REALLY need to water down the oldies stuff and mix in some harder edge material. The equal mix of Steve Miller/ZZ Top/ Springsteen, etc. with some Foo Fighters, RATM, Metallica, etc. would be FAR better :yay:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I'm just trying to find the modern day Metallica now.

Just trying to find an original modern day, (today), rock band is nearly impossible, if one exists at all. No bands today write their own music, harmonize it, and play the required instruments. Plenty of wanna be "tribute" bands stringing for a weekend. As far as any Metallica style goes, and the likes of Megadeth, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Motörhead, Mötley Crüe, hell even the likes of Van Halen, Boston, Led Zeppelin and AC/DC, will probably never hear or see anyone comparable ever again. The major record houses have seen to that. And with autotune, stage performances, choreographed routines and tight reveling wardrobes, they've pretty much enslaved the youth of resent history and of today, to fork over their money to watch and listen to mediocre "talent" picked from mostly well healed and chosen families.

warneckutz

If I may ...

Just trying to find an original modern day, (today), rock band is nearly impossible, if one exists at all. No bands today write their own music, harmonize it, and play the required instruments. Plenty of wanna be "tribute" bands stringing for a weekend. As far as any Metallica style goes, and the likes of Megadeth, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Motörhead, Mötley Crüe, hell even the likes of Van Halen, Boston, Led Zeppelin and AC/DC, will probably never hear or see anyone comparable ever again. The major record houses have seen to that. And with autotune, stage performances, choreographed routines and tight reveling wardrobes, they've pretty much enslaved the youth of resent history and of today, to fork over their money to watch and listen to mediocre "talent" picked from mostly well healed and chosen families.

It's definitely a different era... I've always considered myself a fan of heavy metal but I can't find something with the heavy guitar and fast drums that doesn't have too much growling. Parkway Drive is the closest I can find to modern metal but they try to balance growling and singing... It would be cool to find a band that can do the heavy music and have decent lyrics.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In my vehicles that have Sirius/XM, the channel selector stays on 60..Outlaw Country... ;-p

warneckutz

In my vehicles that have Sirius/XM, the channel selector stays on 60..Outlaw Country... ;-p

:lol:
listening to country music.jpg