Dear Believers:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Will you at least entertain the thought that there is no such thing as God? And that atheists may be right?

I ask because these discussions always boil down to the faithful insisting that we nons at least acknowledge that there *might* be a God. So are you willing to acknowledge that there might not be one?

Zguy28

Will you at least entertain the thought that there is no such thing as God? And that atheists may be right?

I ask because these discussions always boil down to the faithful insisting that we nons at least acknowledge that there *might* be a God. So are you willing to acknowledge that there might not be one?
Sorry, I can't.

Just being honest. Personally I wouldn't expect an true atheist to either. Now agnostics on the other hand...:evil:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now agnostics on the other hand...

Some Christians feel that there's no such thing as a true atheist - that it's only sensible to consider the possibility of God, because one just doesn't really know for sure.

So I'm just curious if that works both ways or not.

Hessian

No

Now thank we all our God,
with heart and hands and voices,
who wondrous things hath done,
in whom his world rejoices;
who from our mother's arms
hath blessed us on our way
with countless gifts of love,
and still is ours today.

O may this bounteous God
through all our life be near us,
with ever-joyful hearts
and blessèd peace to cheer us;
and keep us in his grace,
and guide us when perplexed,
and free us from all ills
in this world and the next.

All praise and thanks to God
the Father now be given,
the Son, and Holy Ghost,
supreme in highest heaven,
the one eternal God,
whom earth and heaven adore;
for thus it was, is now,
and shall be evermore.

Hessian

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

Their answer has to be "no". Otherwise they would not be "true believers".

Zguy28

Some Christians feel that there's no such thing as a true atheist - that it's only sensible to consider the possibility of God, because one just doesn't really know for sure.

So I'm just curious if that works both ways or not.
I see what you mean, but honestly, I don't think it does.

For example, if I say there is no gold in California, I have look everywhere, in buildings, underground, literally EVERYWHERE to know there is none.

However, if I just see evidence of one ounce of gold in California, that's all I need to see to know that there is indeed gold in California.

Now you might not believe me. I might not be able to reproduce it, or prove it in court, but I did see it, so I know it exists.

That's why it doesn't work both ways. To know there is no God, you'd have to search everywhere, literally every millimeter of space and micron of time for evidence. In order to accomplish that, you would have to be God, in which case you'd already know you existed.

Starman3000m

Hi vraiblonde,

God makes Himself spiritually known in the life of those who are sincerely searching for Truth. There are many skeptics who would rather hope that God does not exist but sometimes in the wee corner at the back of their mind they still kind of "wonder" but then quickly put the thought out of their mind so as not to deal with it. Denial does not mean something does not exist.

The eye opening experience in my life was not so much about the existence of God because I had always sensed and believed that somewhere there was a Divine Creator but did not have a true spiritual understanding. Then, as mentioned in my testimony, there was a time when I was searching for spiritual truths. The revealed answer pivoted back to reveal that Jesus is truly the Son of God as proclaimed in the New Testament. This is the key to establishing a relationship with the Divine Creator of life and the universe we live in.

As humans, we do have a free will to believe or not believe many things including to accept or reject the existence of a Divine Creator. There are many religions, many beliefs, but There Is Only One Truth.

Last edited:
R

rhenderson

No one can say with certainity that there is or is not a god. If people are truthful with themselves they can only state that no one knows. KNOWS.

Atheist and deists alike believe - not know - their faiths.

I am an atheist but also and agnostic - I don't believe in the existence of a god but recognize that we humans have no way of determining the issue.

People can argue that god has revealed himself to them, etc. however, that is simply opinion, belief, or as most prefer to call it faith.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am an atheist but also and agnostic - I don't believe in the existence of a god but recognize that we humans have no way of determining the issue.

Do you believe in the Tooth Fairy?

Would you believe me if I told you I know the Tooth Fairy personally? That she's a friend of mine and her real name is Terri Beers? <- I didn't make that up, her name really is Terri Beers.

Marie

Sorry No can do, a Christian cant denounce his Lord and be a believer.
Its also impossible to deny his existence when you know Him personally and you seen him answer prayer and perform miracles.

If God could change my heart he can do anything, and for a God that can speak a world into existence changing any enemy's mind about Him, so that they will love him is an easy task, but still a miracle non the less.

He 's taken away sinful desires that I loved, that I would not, or could not give up on my own because I loved it so much, and replaced it with Godly sorrow for sinning against my God.

Our Bible also tells us, that you know in your heart that there is a God. The creation and the complexity of all the systems of systems screams it. You also have a conscious that informs you of when you do wrong as well as we all do. That had to be put into us by our creator. You can suppress your conscious, and deny A God, after all if he created you then he has rights to you and thats what your really rejecting. That there may be a rule of law on your life higher than your own. Your nature says I cant allow that for fear of what it may cost, when all the long your blinded to the true freedom one has in Christ and that its a better life. The Christian docent have to worry about trying to pay a fine that he cant, or death as its the beginning of a better life promised than what we have to deal with now.

Also your made to be in a loving relationship with your God and not having that leaves a longing for something more than can never be satisfied permanently, you can be distracted with the pleasures of this earth for a season but they quickly where off leaving you searching for that next distraction. Its and endless cycle searching for the joy found in Christ.

What a megar exsistance to not know why you exsist, and to have the curse death always hanging over your head while the clock ticks and not knowing how much time you have left.

Last edited:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Nope. I'm betting the farm (my whole life) on Him...

This is why I've suggested that people try Him out and, if they don't like Him, they can always go back to their old ways. I really believe it takes more faith to be an Atheist than a Christian.

The last point I'd make is that no one will meet God and say they didn't have enough proof that He existed. He wouldn't be truly fair & just if He didn't give ample evidence to all who are accountable. He has given everyone all the proof they need to believe in Him. We'll ALL have no valid excuses when we meet Him.

LC_Sulla

The possibility that there is no God, and thusly, no point to existence (except what you, the human, make of it) is truly too much for most people to bear.

Everyone searches for the meaning of existence. We all come to different conclusions.

I admit to not knowing and allowing for the possibility of either case to be true. Or perhaps, the Truth is something totally different.

libby

I would have to say yes and no. Yes, I might be mistaken about the existence of God, but I only say that because I do not believe a human being can have perfect faith. In fact, if we knew God existed, the virtue of faith would not be to our credit. (y'know, blessed are they who have not seen, yet believe)
OTOH. No, I cannot say He does not exist because He must be the Immovable Mover. Nothing moves by itself, so science says. But somewhere back in the history of the universe something/someone had to come first; someone that did not need a force outside of Himself. As far as I can tell, that can only be God.

Vince

Nope. :shrug: I've never been in a fox hole, but they say there are no athesists there.