Dear Wendy:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Well, my baby has graduated and it didn't matter in the end that in-laws weren't there. He was excited, proud, and sad all at the same time. The Class President gave a great speech and there were no "oops" moments. Did have to contend with the extra loud yellers and people who brought noise makers but all I cared about was hearing his name called out and seeing his smile as he walked past.

catlingirl

Well, my baby has graduated and it didn't matter in the end that in-laws weren't there. He was excited, proud, and sad all at the same time. The Class President gave a great speech and there were no "oops" moments. Did have to contend with the extra loud yellers and people who brought noise makers but all I cared about was hearing his name called out and seeing his smile as he walked past.
How long was the graduation? And congrats

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Congratulations!!

PeoplesElbow

Yep. We live in a day and age where the vast majority of students are expected to graduate from HS... heck diplomas are now given out as participation trophies in many cases these days.

College graduations are ever more of a charade. My daughter graduated from VCU receiving a diploma in chemistry and a diploma in applied mathematics... the graduating students were a vast auditorium of bodies and as a major was announced the group graduating that major stood up then quickly sat back down again and off it was to the next announced major. Later that day, each department had a choice to have a 'mock' graduation where they handed out a rolled "whooohoo" made out to look like a diploma to your kid as he/she walked across the front of the room in which their mock graduation was being held. My daughter went to her first one (science) and after realizing what a farce it was she decided she didn't need to go to the 2nd. The real diplomas came in the mail weeks later.
That is how large college graduations are. In 1996 mins had 4000 earning a bache!ors, only those earning a PhD, JD, or MD got their names read off.