Dear White teacher, go easy on the dark kids

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Teaching is hard enough without additional BS piled on from the administration.

Obama made it worse with his policy of not suspending black students, even if they were physically violent with staff.

A cadre of newly hired teachers will report to city schools this week following orientation sessions where they were given a book that includes an essay titled “Dear White Teacher,”

Essay author Chrysanthius Lathan blasts white teachers who she says routinely send minority students to “teachers of color” for discipline — because they’re scared of being called racist.

A veteran Queens teacher said DOE educators were getting “a lot of mixed messages.” “And on the other hand, certain teachers are told that race is incredibly important in everything we do. It’s like: don’t focus on race, but focus on race.”

“Dear White Teacher” is among more than 50 essays in “The New Teacher Book,” a 324-page manual published by Rethinking Schools, a Milwaukee-based nonprofit.

Copies of the $24.95 paperback were included in some of the tote bags given to the 2,700 new teachers who attended two days of orientation last week ahead of Thursday’s start of the 2019-20 school year. A veteran city educator who took part in last week’s orientation sessions was outraged that the book was distributed, saying it was “of no practical use.”

damned if you do

BOP

I've told cops I'd hate to have their jobs, and, depending on how well I know said cop, I've even gone so far as to say "It'd be too tempting to shoot some dirtbag's happy ass." I definitely couldn't be a teacher, based on the same premise.

This_person

I've told cops I'd hate to have their jobs, and, depending on how well I know said cop, I've even gone so far as to say "It'd be too tempting to shoot some dirtbag's happy ass." I definitely couldn't be a teacher, based on the same premise.
Interesting you put those things together....maybe that's why so many liberals don't want teachers to have guns to defend students - they're afraid the teachers will defend themselves from the students.

BOP

Interesting you put those things together....maybe that's why so many liberals don't want teachers to have guns to defend students - they're afraid the teachers will defend themselves from the students.
Which, in better times, was rarely, if ever necessary.

gemma_rae

What they are actually saying is that it cannot be expected of black students to behave in what would be an acceptable manner for white students.
Indeed.

Additionally, It says that it cannot be expected of black students to achieve academically at what would be an acceptable level for white students. Athletic achievement is much more celebrated in the black/brown community.

BernieP

Resident PIA
What they are actually saying is that it cannot be expected of black students to behave in what would be an acceptable manner for white students.
But since they are "liberals" that is not a racist position, saying all students must behave to the same standards, regardless of color, is racist.
Go figure. MLK is rolling over in his grave, color of you skin "does matter".

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I can't wait till they have a Dear Minority Parent letter. Asians excluded in that conversation.