Death of a Cheerleader

ylexot

Super Genius
Medford athlete dies at practice
Cheerleader, 14, was thrown in air, landed chest down

I'm wondering how long it will be before these types of maneuvers (throwing cheerleaders in the air) are prohibited. Either that, or they will have to wear helmets and pads...that could actually be funny!

Tina2001aniT

ylexot said:
Medford athlete dies at practice
Cheerleader, 14, was thrown in air, landed chest down

I'm wondering how long it will be before these types of maneuvers (throwing cheerleaders in the air) are prohibited. Either that, or they will have to wear helmets and pads...that could actually be funny!
WOW!! That is horrible, the coaches and administrators at the school should be sued....Having been a cheerleader and now a cheerleading coach, there is NO reason that this should have been able to happen....

Tina2001aniT

Tina2001aniT said:
WOW!! That is horrible, the coaches and administrators at the school should be sued....Having been a cheerleader and now a cheerleading coach, there is NO reason that this should have been able to happen....

After going back and actually reading the article, this must have had something to do with the girls prior history, my 6 year old has actually attempted that same stunt and I have seen many girls do it just fine, it doesn't look like she was allowed to fall or anything, so therefore shouldn't have been fatal unless there was a prior history (as her middle school principal had said) and therefore depending on the condition the teen should have possibly not been allowed to participate given her physical condition.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sounds like a freak accident to me. But I think Wylie is right in that cheer coaches will be pressured to ramp down stunts to keep everyone perfectly safe.

sonsorae

What now?!
Tina2001aniT said:
After going back and actually reading the article, this must have had something to do with the girls prior history, my 6 year old has actually attempted that same stunt and I have seen many girls do it just fine, it doesn't look like she was allowed to fall or anything, so therefore shouldn't have been fatal unless there was a prior history (as her middle school principal had said) and therefore depending on the condition the teen should have possibly not been allowed to participate given her physical condition.

:yeahthat: I've been coaching for many years now and my daughter has been cheering for 8 years. I have seen many accidents, but this one sounds like it's a medical condition. Coaches have an obligation to their squad that they perform stunts in a safe manner. I don't think they should prohibit the stunts, I think they need to train and certify the coaches and teach them proper safety skills for stunting.