death of a parakeet

tazzman

My daughter's parakeet died the other day. We don't know what happened. she was fine all weekend and then on Monday morning I went to uncover her and she had died. I don't have a clue what could have happened. The only thing I can think of was that we were using the kerosene heater in the basement Sunday evening and after turning it off, I noticed the fumes were coming upstairs, so I closed the door to the room that the bird was in. Could the fumes be the cause? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any comments/suggestions anyone can offer.

K

Kain99

Sensitive little creatures. I had a parakeet who died from a draft once. I'm sorry about your loss. :love:

tazzman

We have always tried to be so careful with her because we knew they were sensitive animals. We were just so blown away when I found her. My daughter and I gave her a proper burial in our "Pet Cemetary" I guess I didn't shut the door soon enough.

millertc

We have always tried to be so careful with her because we knew they were sensitive animals. We were just so blown away when I found her. My daughter and I gave her a proper burial in our "Pet Cemetary" I guess I didn't shut the door soon enough.

Sorry for your loss.

Nanny Pam

Did anyone spray "Febreeze" or any other room freshener? I know that stuff kills birds, too.

p.s. sorry for your loss.

Cowgirl

Pssssssst wasn't that a "canary"?

It's not fair that the coal miners used canaries as disposable detectors and they're so freakin expensive in pet stores! :ohwell: I'd like to have a few, but I'm not going to pay that much for such a teeny little bird. :nomoney:

tazzman

we never used any sprays or carpet powders in her room. That is why I was thinking about the kerosene heater. That was the only thing that was different.

DEEKAYPEE8569

we never used any sprays or carpet powders in her room. That is why I was thinking about the kerosene heater. That was the only thing that was different.

First, I too am sorry for your loss.
The tough thing is, when you use a kerosene heater indoors, you still have to crack a window to vent the fumes outside. (You ever start the heater and come down with a headache?) You need to crack a window to vent the fumes. I've learned that parakeets like to be in relatively warm space.
If you can, keep parakeets in a main room in the house; like the kitchen; linoleum floors make messes easier to clean; or in the family room; with a vacuum cleaner nearby.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

My daughter's parakeet died the other day. We don't know what happened. she was fine all weekend and then on Monday morning I went to uncover her and she had died. I don't have a clue what could have happened. The only thing I can think of was that we were using the kerosene heater in the basement Sunday evening and after turning it off, I noticed the fumes were coming upstairs, so I closed the door to the room that the bird was in. Could the fumes be the cause? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any comments/suggestions anyone can offer.

Buy a new parakeet :shrug: and put it somewhere where your heater won't kill it :smack:

Sorry about your loss... Parakeets are sensitive little birds.

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
I loved my parakeets until they started dying.. One even flew out side, never to be seen again:bawl:

Sorry about your birdie... I suggest that if you want to replace it, get two. THey are social and do much better in pairs:yay:

tazzman

the parakeet was kept in my daughters room, not in the basement with the heater. we were always carefull to make sure she was warm and not in a draft. Usually on weekends, we would keep her in the living room so I could make sure my cats/dogs didn't bother her. The was the one animal my daughter owned that she actually took care of herself.

jaclyn

Not a Lurker anymore!
Sources of Fumes that are Toxic to Birds

Asbestos
Bleach / Chlorine
Carbon Monoxide
Cigarette Smoke
Diazanon
Flea Bombs and Collars
Floor Polishes
Formaldehyde
Hair Dye and Spray