Deaths Reported in Minn. School Shooting

FBI: 6 Killed In Minnesota School Shooting

The FBI says six people have been killed in a high school shooting in Red Lake, Minn. The suspect is believed among those dead.

Beltrami County chief deputy Tom Lyons told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis that the shooting occurred about 3 p.m. Monday at Red Lake High School. He said that as many as 14 people were injured. Some have been transported to hospitals for treatment.

An FBI spokesman said those killed at the school include a teacher and a security guard. Before the school shootings, a man and a woman were shot at a home in Red Lake and died later.

One of the dead students was a boy believed to be the shooter. The spokesman would not confirm reports that the student shot himself.

He also declined to talk about a possible connection between the suspect and the couple killed at the home.

Fourteen to 15 more students were injured. All of the dead students were in one room.

Four victims were being treated at North Country Regional Hospital in Bemidji. Hospital Vice President Sherri Birkeland had no specific information on the victims or the shooting.

A spokeswoman at MeritCare Hospital in Fargo, N.D., said that hospital also was expecting victims.

Red Lake Indian Reservation is located about 240 miles north of Minneapolis.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>I found the story on Yahoo! news a few minutes ago. Below is an excerpt of that Associated Press article.</o:p>
<o:p>

U.S. National - AP<o:p></o:p>
10 Die in Minn. Student's Shooting Rampage <o:p></o:p>

41 minutes ago<o:p></o:p>

U.S. National - AP<o:p></o:p>

By JOSHUA FREED, Associated Press Writer <o:p></o:p>
BEMIDJI, Minn. - A high school student went on a shooting rampage on an Indian reservation Monday, killing his grandparents at their home and then seven people at his school, grinning and waving as he fired, authorities and witnesses said. The suspect apparently killed himself after exchanging gunfire with police. <o:p></o:p>

It was the nation's worst school shooting since the Columbine massacre in 1999 that killed 13 people. <o:p></o:p>

One student said her classmates pleaded with the gunman to stop shooting. <o:p></o:p>

"You could hear a girl saying, 'No, Jeff, quit, quit. Leave me alone. What are you doing?" student Sondra Hegstrom told The Pioneer of Bemidji, using the name of the suspected shooter. <o:p></o:p>

Before the shootings at Red Lake High School, the suspect's grandparents were shot in their home and died later. There was no immediate indication of the gunman's motive. <o:p></o:p>

Authorities didn't identify the gunman, but a few media outlets identified him as Jeff Weise, citing students and tribal leaders. Accounts of Weise's age varied from 15 to 17, as did whether he was a current student at the school. </o:p>

Last edited:

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
YEP, another "dressed in black and was made fun of" kind of deal.........pushed over his limit and he snapped.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
:yikes: I just heard about this 30 minutes ago. I never turned on the TV last night or this morning. Scary stuff.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
His father committed suicide a few years ago and his mother has been institutionalized (not sure how long) for a brain injury resulting from a car accident. Too bad this boy didn't choose to become a strong individual :ohwell:

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
Chasey_Lane said:
Too bad this boy didn't choose to become a strong individual :ohwell:

But, can you choose to be a strong individual or are you born with what you have and certain things cultivate your inner strength?? :confused:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
AC/DC said:
But, can you choose to be a strong individual or are you born with what you have and certain things cultivate your inner strength?? :confused:
He could have made something of himself, however, he let everything and everyone get him down and decided to take people down with him. Quite selfish of him if you ask me.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
elaine said:
On the news they keep talking about his clothes. :rolleyes:
I wear mostly black slacks to work. I have one pair of khaki's and a pair of grey pants, but other than those two pairs, I wear black every day. It's definitely my signature color...:diva: I would never plan on shooting and killing people, though...:twitch:

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
Chasey_Lane said:
He could have made something of himself, however, he let everything and everyone get him down and decided to take people down with him. Quite selfish of him if you ask me.

Selfish in his last act, yes, it was his last stand of control it seems.

I would speculate that there were plenty of signs that this boy was teetering on the edge.

morganj614

AC/DC said:
YEP, another "dressed in black and was made fun of" kind of deal.........pushed over his limit and he snapped.

I wear black, leather and sunglasses. It's the 'other' things that make me crazy. :twitch: