December fishing thread

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I spent around 4 hours in the boat today. I was getting itchy from sitting inside for the last 3 days. I had 50 degrees and full sun instead of steady drizzle. Put in around 10 am or so. I spent most of the time fishing a mepps spinner. When I threw out a rapala, nothing happened so I'd go back to the mepps. I'd rather cast a rapala since you don't have to constantly reel it in like a spinner. But the results were worth it. 7 fish in the net with at least 2 following lures back to the boat.

Fishing should remain good until things ice over. I imagine the catfishing on the Potomac would be great this time of year if you can find and fish. You have to work a little harder and cover a bit more water, but the results are worth it. Time to get out there and fish a little bit slower than what you normally do in the summer or early fall. If this sort of weather continues, I plan on fishing through the winter. I can always warm up when I get home. Dress in layers and stay dry as much as possible.

I'm always looking for someone to join me that can fish during the week. PM me if interested. I can't guarantee you will catch fish but I will certainly try to find them and figure out what we need to use to catch them.

pk1.jpg

pk2.jpg

pk3.jpg

Monello

PREMO Member
That's a nice, full-bodied fish. I bet it put up a fantastic fight.

Monello

PREMO Member
In the lakes you can catch rockfish with liver as bait. White bass & cats will also eat liver.

Monello

PREMO Member
There aren't any stripers in St. Mary's lake. There is an abundant supply of smaller (< 15 inch) bass. We refer to them as St. Mary's specials.

St. Mary's Lake is a 250-acre impoundment
located in southern St. Mary's County. The
lake supports a variety of gamefish including
bluegill, black crappie, redear sunfish, chain
pickerel and largemouth bass.

St. Mary's lake profile

Fishing structure links