Deep Fry - something other than turkey

SamSpade

Has anyone tried their huge, HUGE turkey fryer - to fry something else? Wings?
Whole chickens? Pork butt? Hams?
Just curious - I have quite a few frozen chickens and other items in the extra freezer
and I am just curious.

Fried turkey is excellent, but I don't know about the taste of anything else, and the
only way I've ever tried fried chicken is battered and fried. I don't relish the idea of
cleaning batter and particulate out of the fryer.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why would you want to dirty up your big turkey fryer for something that doesn't need anything that big?

Anyway, the answer is yes - you can do whole chickens and my uncle uses his fryer for large amounts of breaded fish and hush puppies when he has everyone over for a fish fry. Deep fried chicken is just as good as deep fried turkey.

SamSpade

Why would you want to dirty up your big turkey fryer for something that doesn't need anything that big?

Anyway, the answer is yes - you can do whole chickens and my uncle uses his fryer for large amounts of breaded fish and hush puppies when he has everyone over for a fish fry. Deep fried chicken is just as good as deep fried turkey.

Well, the REASON is, it's the only deep fryer I own, and I fry a turkey about three or four times a year -
but I think I have frozen chickens waiting for someone to do something with them that have been waiting
since Obama was President.

And come to think of it, I *could* fry up anything where I don't NEED to close the lid - like for the tons of falafel
mix I bought on sale some time back. That way I could cook them all at once, rather than 10 at a time.

Thanks. I might try a fish fry when the oil is on its last use.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And come to think of it, I *could* fry up anything where I don't NEED to close the lid - like for the tons of falafel
mix I bought on sale some time back. That way I could cook them all at once, rather than 10 at a time.

Falafel....yeah...I was thinking deep fried Oreos and Twinkies. :jet:

I forgot - you can also deep fry ribs and they are the best thing you'll ever eat. Fry them naked, sauce them afterward.

SamSpade

Falafel....yeah...I was thinking deep fried Oreos and Twinkies. :jet:

I forgot - you can also deep fry ribs and they are the best thing you'll ever eat. Fry them naked, sauce them afterward.

THERE'S a thought - I've had three racks of ribs sitting in the freezer waiting for my buddy - who's actually traveled
to be taught how to properly smoke and cook ribs - to smoke 'em in his smoker.

Probably could do it with wings, too. No one but me in the family seems to be in a rush to fry 'em.

littlelady

God bless the USA
We have a turkey fryer gift from 5 Christmases ago that has never been used. Still in the box. It is free. If anyone wants it, let me know.

Last edited: