Deer Bones

frequentflier

happy to be living
Someone hit a deer and it landed in a drainage ditch on my property. The vultures had it stripped in a couple of days. There is a carcass out there and I am wondering if anything- animals or vultures will eat the bones- or if I need to try to figure out how to move the bones to another part of my property to decompose. I know squirrels eat the antlers (this had none) but even if they eat the bones, it will take too long as this is in a drainage ditch.

And let me say "ARGH", yuck, gross, not looking forward to this chore if it comes to that.

Thanks for any advice!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Call the county and have it removed. Don't forget the balloon!

Feel Better Get Well Soon GIF by Greetings Island

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I wish her luck.

When one died from a car strike at my place in Leonardtown they basically said, it was my problem, not theirs.
Really? Several years ago a poor deer got hit by a car, didn't die so the deputy shot it, then two guys stopped and sawed off its rack. I placed a get well soon balloon (my neighbor didn't appreciate my humor) and an hour later the state guys came and collected it.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Really? Several years ago a poor deer got hit by a car, didn't die so the deputy shot it, then two guys stopped and sawed off its rack. I placed a get well soon balloon (my neighbor didn't appreciate my humor) and an hour later the state guys came and collected it.
There was a deputy out front with a mag lite looking for it Sunday night since a lady reported she had hit it but said it was further down the road. He said he wanted to make sure it wasn't suffering (and I presume was going to put it out of it's misery if so).
I should have asked him how fast she was going since it is like a race track on the part of the road that is *supposed* to be 30MPH in front of my house.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
There was a deputy out front with a mag lite looking for it Sunday night since a lady reported she had hit it but said it was further down the road. He said he wanted to make sure it wasn't suffering (and I presume was going to put it out of it's misery if so).
I should have asked him how fast she was going since it is like a race track on the part of the road that is *supposed* to be 30MPH in front of my house.
Haw badly damaged was it? That might determine her speed, somewhat. But it doesn't really matter, if a deer is going to jump, they jump.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I called the county and they are sending someone out to look at it. They had dug up and provided large rocks in the drainage area it is in a couple years ago.
I had surgery yesterday and am not supposed to lift anything for a couple of weeks so my ability to do this myself is not possible right now. And the gross factor...

frequentflier

happy to be living
Haw badly damaged was it? That might determine her speed, somewhat. But it doesn't really matter, if a deer is going to jump, they jump.
My property is a long acre and the deer have paths on either end. I enjoy seeing them and know they occasionally enjoy corn and cut up pumpkins I put near the compost pile in the back. People that drive this road and surrounding roads know there are a lot of deer around and it pisses me off to see how fast they go. I never like seeing a dead animal on the side of the road and think some, if not many hits could be avoided if they slow down and pay attention. I guess it has hit too close to home for me now.
FWIW, I did hit a deer in NY years ago. I know it happens. I am also a safe driver that pays attention to my surroundings and hope to never hit an animal again!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My property is a long acre and the deer have paths on either end. I enjoy seeing them and know they occasionally enjoy corn and cut up pumpkins I put near the compost pile in the back. People that drive this road and surrounding roads know there are a lot of deer around and it pisses me off to see how fast they go. I never like seeing a dead animal on the side of the road and think some, if not many hits could be avoided if they slow down and pay attention. I guess it has hit too close to home for me now.
FWIW, I did hit a deer in NY years ago. I know it happens. I am also a safe driver that pays attention to my surroundings and hope to never hit an animal again!
Same here. I have 2 acres and lots of woods. I see then crossing the road quite frequently and go into the woods. Speed limit on my road is 45 and people speed all the time. :sshrug:

frequentflier

happy to be living
I called the county and they are sending someone out to look at it. They had dug up and provided large rocks in the drainage area it is in a couple years ago.
I had surgery yesterday and am not supposed to lift anything for a couple of weeks so my ability to do this myself is not possible right now. And the gross factor...
Two county guys came and picked it up. They were very nice about it, too.

SandieGarry

Many years ago, (I'd say 25), my wife was driving down rt 235 and the car in front of her hit a deer. Being the kind sweet soul that she is, she stopped. The driver, whom I knew, was quite shook up. The deer was thrashing around, severely injured. My goes back, gets her hunting knife and slits the deer's throat. When the deputy showed up, he asked who did it. My wife said that she did. He thanked her immensely because if he shot it, it was a ridiculous amount of paperwork. Yup, I got me a good woman, :yahoo: