(Deer) Corn and/or apples

Chris0nllyn

Getting ready for hunting season and looking for a place that sells bulk corn and/or apples for deer. Any ideas?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Try one of the Amish farms in Mechanicsville off of 236 or along Route 5 in Loveville/Morganza.

Freefaller

Tractor Supply. There is one in St Marys County on route 235 and one in Charles County on Route 301 in White Plains.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Getting ready for hunting season and looking for a place that sells bulk corn and/or apples for deer. Any ideas?
How about doing some actual hunting? You know, like scouting an area. Looking for rubs and scrapes. Noting deer bedding areas. Noting their watering areas. Finding areas of good mast. Aka, deer's natural foods like acorns and the like. Putting down feed is not hunting. It's just sitting and shooting in front of a feed pile. It's the epitome of laziness. Just say'in.

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

How about doing some actual hunting? You know, like scouting an area. Looking for rubs and scrapes. Noting deer bedding areas. Noting their watering areas. Finding areas of good mast. Aka, deer's natural foods like acorns and the like. Putting down feed is not hunting. It's just sitting and shooting in front of a feed pile. It's the epitome of laziness. Just say'in.

I appreciate your concern.

However, my stand is 100 yards from my food plot (natural food). I don't hunt over it. My stand is 20 yards from a pinch point where an oak flat (acorns), creek (watering source), and pond (watering source) meet. The oak flat is half-covered in mountain laurel (bedding area). Based on the rubs, tracks, and numerous trail cameras, and scouting my stand is where I want it to be.

I disagree that hanging stands, checking cameras, cutting trees, lugging hundreds of pounds of corn, plowing, trail maintenance, scouting, and walking it (oftentimes in the dead of summer) for almost a decade is lazy.

You appear to be very knowledgeable so if you have anything to add to the thread specifically asking about deer corn/apples and not unsolicited hunting advice, I'd appreciate it.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

Not many folks have harvested a deer while it's eating over a corn pile.
Unless you use a spotlight.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

You appear to be very knowledgeable so if you have anything to add to the thread specifically asking about deer corn/apples and not unsolicited hunting advice, I'd appreciate it.
Well thank you for the acknowledgement and confirmation. Then I have to ask; If your hunting area is already so well defined, groomed, and the deer's activities and habits known to you, why the need for corn and or apples? However, I still must add, if you have truly done all that work over the course of nearly 10 years, then, to me, that's not hunting. That's harvesting.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Not many folks have harvested a deer while it's eating over a corn pile.Unless you use a spotlight.
Very true. But if deer get into the habit of going to that same spot because it is always restocked, pretty easy to time it right for a sunrise or sunset shot.

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

Well thank you for the acknowledgement and confirmation. Then I have to ask; If your hunting area is already so well defined, groomed, and the deer's activities and habits known to you, why the need for corn and or apples? However, I still must add, if you have truly done all that work over the course of nearly 10 years, then, to me, that's not hunting. That's harvesting.

Call it whatever you want. I'm out to get meat.

My property backs to public land so I'm constantly competing with other hunters who don't necessarily follow QDMA practices. I need somethign to draw them in.

Plus it's cool looking through trail cam pictures.

Where do you get apples and corn?

Bonehead

There is a Amish/Mennonite farm a short distance down pin cushion road in Loveville that will have apples, it might be too early yet. The feed mill in the same area across from Zimmermans also sells bulk corn in bags.

You feeding this early ?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Giant Foods. But I only get sweet cob corn when in season, and Mcintosh or Granny Smith apples. Or when in my travels, a local roadside stand. Don't get me wrong here, Chris, I'm not criticizing your hunting method. I'm just somewhat of a traditionalist. I don't mind long walks in the woods reading the signs days or weeks before a season starts then taking a gamble and plopping down on the ground against a tree, or, in a divot made by a fallen tree's root ball. That's just me. I'm not desperate. If it was a survival mode kinda thing, maybe. But then I'm thinking I would plant the corn and make hard apple cider.

black dog

Free America
Call it whatever you want. I'm out to get meat.

My property backs to public land so I'm constantly competing with other hunters who don't necessarily follow QDMA practices. I need somethign to draw them in.

Plus it's cool looking through trail cam pictures.

I dont know where you live, but if your around the north end of St Marys stop in Jeff Raleys for 50 - 100lb bags of corn on New Market Turner Rd.
Across the street from Cremona on Hidden Valley La, normally there is a sign on New Market Turner.
Have the best salad bar in your neighborhood, till and put a greens plot in this fall ( Rape Seed ) from Southern States, cheap and easy.

General Lee

I usually get deer corn at Zimmerman's Bow shop on Friendship School Road or Stauffers Feed Mill on Rt. 5 in Loveville ....across from Third Base.