(Deer) Corn and/or apples

Chris0nllyn

There is a Amish/Mennonite farm a short distance down pin cushion road in Loveville that will have apples, it might be too early yet. The feed mill in the same area across from Zimmermans also sells bulk corn in bags.

You feeding this early ?

Thanks. It's definitely too early for apples but want to get things in order.

I tend to leave mineral sites out and drop the corn early. I don't like feeding them corn in the winter.

If I may ...

Giant Foods. But I only get sweet cob corn when in season, and Mcintosh or Granny Smith apples. Or when in my travels, a local roadside stand. Don't get me wrong here, Chris, I'm not criticizing your hunting method. I'm just somewhat of a traditionalist. I don't mind long walks in the woods reading the signs days or weeks before a season starts then taking a gamble and plopping down on the ground against a tree, or, in a divot made by a fallen tree's root ball. That's just me. I'm not desperate. If it was a survival mode kinda thing, maybe. But then I'm thinking I would plant the corn and make hard apple cider.

I get the impression you are a traditionalist, but the same gripes could be had with me using trail cameras, an ATV, a crossbow, etc.

I've spent many-a-days walking around public land, clearing a spot at the base of a tree, and sitting all day, but in this case, it doesn;t appear that you hunt, you just felt the need to jump in the thread to complain about how someone else hunts.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I get the impression you are a traditionalist, but the same gripes could be had with me using trail cameras, an ATV, a crossbow, etc.

I've spent many-a-days walking around public land, clearing a spot at the base of a tree, and sitting all day, but in this case, it doesn;t appear that you hunt, you just felt the need to jump in the thread to complain about how someone else hunts.
Just egging you Chris. And yes I do hunt, every year, bow/crossbow, muzzleloader, and shotgun. I've always found that when, long ago in the past, I did try corn, every animal, (especially those damnable always-making-noises squirrels), but the deer, stopped by to partake of it. My first deer was at a State park, (with really no prior hunting experiences), without the use of any attractant, just walked in at o'dark o'clock, found a place I liked, and waited. Maybe I was just lucky that day many years ago. Heck, years ago I've even tried the jelled liquid stuff that is poured on corn, that deer cocaine stuff, and some other crap. Nowadays, I do use a quality grunt/doe bleat call though. I've found sparingly using one is sufficient to get the attention of an inquisitive buck or two headed my way. For me, I more so enjoy just being alone sitting in the woods and have many many many a day have just let deer, doe and bucks, walk by without so much as raising the weapon with me that day. I have found the carrying all the hyped up heavily advertised accoutrements, the laying of attractants, to be, for me, not worth the trouble and headaches associated. Maybe it is me the one that is lazy?

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

Just egging you Chris. And yes I do hunt, every year, bow/crossbow, muzzleloader, and shotgun. I've always found that when, long ago in the past, I did try corn, every animal, (especially those damnable always-making-noises squirrels), but the deer, stopped by to partake of it. My first deer was at a State park, (with really no prior hunting experiences), without the use of any attractant, just walked in at o'dark o'clock, found a place I liked, and waited. Maybe I was just lucky that day many years ago. Heck, years ago I've even tried the jelled liquid stuff that is poured on corn, that deer cocaine stuff, and some other crap. Nowadays, I do use a quality grunt/doe bleat call though. I've found sparingly using one is sufficient to get the attention of an inquisitive buck or two headed my way. For me, I more so enjoy just being alone sitting in the woods and have many many many a day have just let deer, doe and bucks, walk by without so much as raising the weapon with me that day. I have found the carrying all the hyped up heavily advertised accoutrements, the laying of attractants, to be, for me, not worth the trouble and headaches associated. Maybe it is me the one that is lazy?

I hope you don't think I'm upset or anything.

I agree with the bolded part 100%. Watching the woods wake up beats harvesting anything.

Kinnakeet

If I may ...

Your not lazy sometimes I let them walk also because I don't feel like walking around in the dark looking for a deer let alone cleaning it the older I have become I much rather hunt in the morning just to see all the critters wake up and scurry around and I have plenty of light to track an animal.

black dog

Free America
I hear that there is a plantation or two in southern md you can still use dogs and a spotlight... But I'm a welder, what do I know.

Bonehead

Thanks. It's definitely too early for apples but want to get things in order.

I tend to leave mineral sites out and drop the corn early. I don't like feeding them corn in the winter.

I have no gripes about how anyone else hunts or prepares. It seems odd that you took my statement the wrong way. And yes I hunt crossbow, shotgun and black powder.

Bonehead

Your not lazy sometimes I let them walk also because I don't feel like walking around in the dark looking for a deer let alone cleaning it the older I have become I much rather hunt in the morning just to see all the critters wake up and scurry around and I have plenty of light to track an animal.

I will not kill a deer in the evening it is too easy to lose the blood trail and waste the kill.

Chris0nllyn

I have no gripes about how anyone else hunts or prepares. It seems odd that you took my statement the wrong way. And yes I hunt crossbow, shotgun and black powder.

I didn't take anything you said wrong.

The second part of my comment was to the person I quoted.