Deer Processing Reference

wollybugger

Anybody know of any good reference for processing your own meet?

There are some good videos on youtube, but hitting start-pause-start-pause with bloody hands makes for a yucky keyboard

Maybe a .pdf doc?

Thanks

bulldog

There are some good videos on youtube, but hitting start-pause-start-pause with bloody hands makes for a yucky keyboard

Maybe a .pdf doc?

Thanks

Really depends on what you want to do with the meat. Some folks like to get as many useable cuts out of it as they can, while others tend to go only for the best cuts and use the rest for grinding into burger or sausage.
Most consider the "back strap" to be the best cut (since most forget or don't know about the inner loin) and cut it into a couple of good size roasts or a dozen or so nice steaks for grilling. Roasts are easy to get out of the hind quarters and we like to use those for slow cooking to make pulled bbq sammiches with. Neck meat is usually cut into cubes for stew meat at my house and front quarters used for grind or jerky meat.

officeguy

The other day I had a 'deer processing for dummies' book in my hands at Barnes and Noble. It was a 3-ring binder, the pages coated with a water-repellent. It had simple step by step instructions with drawings and pictures and was meant to be used right on the processing table. Don't recall the title, you may be able to find it by looking for a three-ring binder in the outdoors section.

somdshootnet

Maybe a .pdf doc?

Thanks

The best way is to have someone show you hands on. There are things that books and videos will not tell you.