Defrag stuck in reverse

D

dems4me

I've been having problems with defrag for the past few years (maybe 5) where it either does nothing at all or now... as in the past year and a half, where it defrags up to 10% then says some message about the drive having changes or something and then starts all over again :banghead: this went on for 3 hours... it makes the churning sound, you see stuff being moved and its at 10%, you receive the message and then its back at 1% done, then 5% and then up to 10% and always kicks back to the beginning to restart after 10%. Anyone know what's wrong with this? Is Defrag really that important that I should waste hours a day just watching a loop from 1-10 over and over???

Pete

Repete
dems4me said:
I've been having problems with defrag for the past few years (maybe 5) where it either does nothing at all or now... as in the past year and a half, where it defrags up to 10% then says some message about the drive having changes or something and then starts all over again :banghead: this went on for 3 hours... it makes the churning sound, you see stuff being moved and its at 10%, you receive the message and then its back at 1% done, then 5% and then up to 10% and always kicks back to the beginning to restart after 10%. Anyone know what's wrong with this? Is Defrag really that important that I should waste hours a day just watching a loop from 1-10 over and over???
Try unpluging the computer and turning the plug over and plugging it back in. You might have the cord plugged into the wall upsidedown, reversing the polarity and causing it to run backwards. :yay:

D

dems4me

Pete said:
Try unpluging the computer and turning the plug over and plugging it back in. You might have the cord plugged into the wall upsidedown, reversing the polarity and causing it to run backwards. :yay:

:lol: :bonk: You forget, I'm not blonde although the term reversing polarity does deserve some green :lol:

Do people still defrag? Maybe there's a reason I stopped doing it?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Try disabling your screensaver and virus protection before running it. If you still have problems you might have a bad sector on the drive.

mainman

Set Trippin
dems4me said:
Operating system people.. If you are gonna post a question please mention what operating system you are running...:tantrum

D

dems4me

McAfee, Norton and all other utility software I've bought over the years have all been disaled or uninstalled... and I don't have a screensaver running.

MainMan - I'm running on Windows - I'm not quite that antiquated :crazy: :bonk: :lol:

Maybe its a bad sector Ken... how in the heck do I fix this???

mainman

Set Trippin
dems4me said:
McAfee, Norton and all other utility software I've bought over the years have all been disaled or uninstalled... and I don't have a screensaver running.

MMDad - I'm running on Windows - I'm not quite that antiquated :crazy: :lol:

:twitch: What version of windows? :dork:

MMDad

Lem Putt
dems4me said:

MainMan - I'm running on Windows - I'm not quite that antiquated :crazy: :bonk: :lol:

I used to do a control-alt-delete, and close almost everything, then it would run. I was running WinME. Main made a good point, are you using XP, 98, ME?

MMDad

Lem Putt
dems4me said:
2000?????? :shrug:

Have I mentioned on here enough... computers problems just arn't my thing? :lol:

I know that this sounds amartass, but I'm serious. Upgrade.

mainman

Set Trippin
dems4me said:
2000?????? :shrug:

Have I mentioned on here enough... computers problems just arn't my thing? :lol:
You have 2 choices here:

1. You can run defrag in safe mode. :yay:

or

2. (ctrl+alt+del) stop all non essential processes..:yay:

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Why the hell are you defragging to begin with? Your running win 2k and you should have a pretty huge hard drive there really is no reason to be running the program. If your computer is running slow delete your temporary internet files and cookies and it will usually pick up some speed.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Tina2001aniT said:
My thoughts exactly, I didn't think computers lasted that long...
Of course they do, they just don't run that fast.

We still have 486's around to do programming on, and never a hiccup.