Dehydration in horses

Robin

We have had a few colics and dehydration the past week.
Please make sure those dark grey tanks filled with water are not sitting out in the sun. That water gets real hot. The horses will not drink it.

fredsaid2

We have had a few colics and dehydration the past week.
Please make sure those dark grey tanks filled with water are not sitting out in the sun. That water gets real hot. The horses will not drink it.

Good advice Robin! Hot summer days are when I'm happier w/ muck buckets for water. I can dump and refill w/o feeling wasteful. The boys generally start drinking while it's filling. :smile:

ccrider

Salt

You may want to put salt blocks in their feed buckets and possibly spread a little on the hay. I find putting a little more salt in their daily diet helps my 6 horses drink plenty of water, but don't over do it. I use the outside tubs and between 2 per tub they will usually drink 1/2 the tub by the end of the day, every morning I fill to the top with new cold water. Watch out for the little critters swimming in the tubs, usually put a tiny bit of bleach to help with the yuck.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
You may want to put salt blocks in their feed buckets and possibly spread a little on the hay. I find putting a little more salt in their daily diet helps my 6 horses drink plenty of water, but don't over do it. I use the outside tubs and between 2 per tub they will usually drink 1/2 the tub by the end of the day, every morning I fill to the top with new cold water. Watch out for the little critters swimming in the tubs, usually put a tiny bit of bleach to help with the yuck.

Salt blocks in the field very important!!!

smurfette

my friend used to put gatorade in her horses water for electrolytes....what do you guys think about that?:shrug:

fredsaid2

my friend used to put gatorade in her horses water for electrolytes....what do you guys think about that?:shrug:

There are electrolyte additives you can add to feed. That way they get the full dose rather than hoping they'll drink all the treated water.

Wait4It..boom

Good advice Robin! Hot summer days are when I'm happier w/ muck buckets for water. I can dump and refill w/o feeling wasteful. The boys generally start drinking while it's filling. :smile:

Agree! They are all I use. They're easier to wash too than tossing around those huge tubs. Plus, it forces you to fill them with fresh water each day :O)

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
There are electrolyte additives you can add to feed. That way they get the full dose rather than hoping they'll drink all the treated water.

I used to use gatorade powder. It is cheaper than equine electrolytes and have basically the same benefits. Once its in the water, I never have a problem with the horses drinking it - they loved it. Just FYI